50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. MCK57

MCK57 Forum Resident

It doesn't make sense that Paul would be playing bass in between takes because it's John playing the bass.Just because you hear Paul mouthing the words to some of the song and then hear a bass playing at the same time you think the words and bass are coming from the same person.You are trying to put a square peg into a round hole.Give John a little bit more credit than he has been given.Paul mouths some words and John plays the bass as he hears Paul,it's not a hard thing to do when you know the words and have been playing the bass on both versions.Aggressive playing would not mess up Paul but probably would mess up John somewhat.The person on that bass even messes up on the re-entry after the silent interlude.Do you really believe Paul would be making these mistakes? John yes,Paul no way.
    Let's not bring up Why Don't We Do It In The Road because that's another issue.Mal was there during the recording of HS and was already playing his trumpet during that recording.He then goes home that morning and writes in his diary that John is playing the bass on Helter Skelter and mentions it's a remake and that it's being recorded on eight track.So the audio evidence very,very strongly is saying John is playing the bass on HS and Mal Evans confirms that evidence!!!

applejam101, zipp, tinnox and 2 others like this.
  2. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

I don't know if that version of "Blackbird" with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra overdubbed is the same version as the version on The White Album or if it's a version from "One Hand Clapping". Or something like that. I wonder if Richard Hewson is still working as an arranger nowadays?

DmitriKaramazov and tinnox like this.
  3. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

Here's the RPO instrumental version of "Blackbird", at any rate:

DmitriKaramazov and tinnox like this.
  4. Onder

Onder Senior Member

Helter Skelter (take 17) at 0:11 mark the bass playing and Paul's da da da da starts exactly at the same time. There is no doubt the bass playing is the same person as the one singing the da da da da. There is no way how could John start playing the bass at the very same spot as the bass playing WITHOUT a count in.
    Plus Paul is trying to explain to JOHN what he wants him to do on the guitar, he wants an extra bar on the guitar to mimick the intro which John fails to to do in the following outtake. Why would Paul explain to himself what he wants the guitar to play? Makes no sense at all :)
    It all makes perfect sense that it's John on the guitar and Paul on the bass.

Ondra

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  5. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

On a side-note, have Mal's diaries ever shown up? I seem to remember they went missing after the LA police shot him but I could be mis-remembering...

tinnox and Kim Olesen like this.
  6. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Because you make copies for your friends. That's why

7. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Maybe a Hohner or Wurlitzer, yet any Revolution session photos, credits, or interviews would help.

tinnox likes this.
  8. Frank

Frank Senior Member

It's really frustrating that this bit of misinformation simply will not die, and it's because people insist on relying on second-hand accounts that they've read for information rather than what they can actually clearly hear first-hand.

9. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

tinnox likes this.
  10. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

Paul is telling John to do something on guitar which John then obviously doesn't do. Where's the logic in that?

tinnox likes this.
  11. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Knowing the interdynamics of the beatles that situation seems incredibly likely.

12. Onder

Onder Senior Member

Either forgot to do the extra bar or didn't get what Paul was trying to say or had his own way.

Ondra

Shaddam IV, tinnox and Gila like this.
  13. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

In which case your argument becomes extremely tenuous. It seems an unconvincing way of proving what you're saying.

tinnox likes this.
  14. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Yes! Essentially losing the rhythm guitar (the one that keeps the opening riff going), is a HUGE let down for me and I really have trouble understanding how that got through. The power of that song is totally weakened by this.

Lewisboogie, DK Pete and tinnox like this.
  15. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Almost definitely. If you can listen to to the mostly soloed out tracks from rockband, the notes Nicky is vamping on the left hand have a very specific pianet sound to me. But there is also a vibrato on it and it is definitely not the Wulitzer vibrato sound.

16. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Agreed! It would be like adding Millard Fillmore to Mount Rushmore.

(sorry that's all I got) :yikes:

17. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Why's Millard Fillmore gotta be dragged into this?

linclink, Dee Zee, DeeThomaz and 2 others like this.
  18. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Seems the Hohner Pianet N was also used on I Am the Walrus! I always thought it was a Wurlitzer!

If so, this has me rethinking keyboards going back into their catalog wondering if a Wurlitzer was ever used?

Keep in mind, when the two Fender-Rhodes arrived at Apple in 1969 Paul basically said nope that’s not the sound that I was hearing (speculation being that Paul meant a Wurlitzer).

So that electric piano sound has been the Hohner Pianet N all along?

Even songs like Getting Better?

tinnox likes this.
  19. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Which Millard are we discussing here? East or West? :hide:

20. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Beatles Gear says the Hohner Pianet C was used from Help! through Let It Be, the fabs proclaiming to Roy Young (Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers) who had introduced them to the Hohner Pianet, “We’re gonna get two of those!”

Another interesting tidbit, EMI’s Lowrey DSO Heritage Deluxe (Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds) was later transported to Apple’s Basement Studio where Billy Preston played it for the Get Back sessions.

tinnox, drum_cas and applejam101 like this.
  21. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Agreed, 100%. It's one my very few issues with the White Album remix.

PhoffiFozz, tinnox and Kim Olesen like this.
  22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I detect a bit of harshness...?

tinnox likes this.
  23. Onder

Onder Senior Member

How's that?
    In that part the descending guitar is the key element for the start of the vocal. Paul needed to tell how he wants the guitar. If he was on the guitar himself he wouldn't need to explain anything at all, he would just do the bar on a guitar and the bass plays just E over the entire descending guitar riff anyway.

Ondra

DK Pete, Shaddam IV, tinnox and 3 others like this.
  24. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

The bass on Helter Skelter is this season's "ah's" from A Day In The Life.

25. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

It's the Season Of The Which (one is it?):shh:

tinnox and JamesD1957 like this.