Your TEN/10 favourite Concert DVD's/Blurays

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Feb 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I love a good concert video. Back in the eighties when home VHS concert movies started to become available, I was in heaven. With new technology that has just bumped it up a little more.
    What are your top ten, and if you feel like it, tell us why and then folks can get an idea of if they may like it.

For me (and this would be subject to change, because I'm just like that) - no particular order

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense -This concert is so much fun. Starts well with Psycho killer with the beat box. Gradually the stage is put into place as the players come out bit by bit on each song. By the time we get to Burning Down The House, they certainly are.

Peter Gabriel - Secret World Live
    - This is just a magnificently paced concert. It is staged beautifully. Just the simple but effective opening of Come Talk To Me sets the stage for something really special.

Iron Maiden - Rock In Rio - The reconstruction of the best metal band of the eighties is fantastic and the band is playing in front of an uncountable number of excited Brazilians. The atmosphere is electric and Dickinson sounds amazing.

Dire Straits - Alchemy - For me this is Dire Straits at the peak of their powers. No overdubs and absolutely perfectly played from start to finish. The atmosphere of the music is brilliant, and for me there is no turning away or skipping.

Elvis Presley - That's The Way It Is (special edition bluray) - This probably isn't for everybody, but it is an excellent piece of work here. The pre-show rehearsals are interesting, but it all comes together on the stage and the bluray looks and sounds so much better than the original dvd it is amazing.

Cold Chisel - The Last Stand - One of the world's best live rock bands ever doing what they do best. I am not usually into concerts that have interruptions with little documentary pieces, but for me in this one, it actually enhances the whole thing. The 5.1 mix is very good and the band are on fire. After ten years of slogging it out in Australia and three years at the top of the pile, writing themselves into the Aussie history books, the guys wanted to go out with a bang and not a whimper and they went out with a big bang.

Zappa - The Roxy Movie - To some degree Zappa sabotaged a lot of his concert movies with some added weirdness that had nothing to do with the concert. Here we just have the band (possibly his best) playing a fantastic show. When I first got it, I was disappointed a few of my favourite Roxy tracks were missing, but what is here is fantastic.

U2 - Under a Blood Red Sky - Back when U2 were just a great rock band pounding it out. Raw emotive and essential for anyone that ever liked the early tracks the band made.

Queen - Hungarian Rhapsody - It's a hard one for Queen, there is On Fire At The Bowl, Wembley, Rainbow and Montreal, and they all have their things to recommend them, but this is probably my favourite. Well shot, great sound and another great Queen concert.

Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine:Biomech at Plovdiv - Again hard for me with Devin, Ziltoid at Royal Albert Hall is fantastic and Retinal Circus is really good also, but for me the newest one takes the cake. Featuring all of the excellent album featured and also a whole other set with an orchestra and choir, set in an ancient amphitheater, it is a real gem of a show.

As I say, I have probably missed out on a heap of stuff. The Band the Last Walt is a classic and a great watch. The Stones at Hampton Coliseum is great and a real treasure to now have. There are some excellent Genesis documents. Hendrix. Doors. and hundreds of others..... but these are probably my ten favourites, at least at the moment ...
    What are yours?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    John Buchanan, jlm86, Mike N. and 6 others like this.
  2. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

Pearl Jam - MSG
    The Band - Last Waltz
    Van Morrison - It's Too Late To Stop Now (London, 1973)
    The Rolling Stones - Bridges To Babylon live
    David Bowie - Live in London/Paris 1999
    Nirvana - In Utero / Live MTV 1993
    Future Islands - Paris / Pitchfork Festival
    The Doors - Live at the Hollywood Bowl
    Neil Young - Greendale acoustic live in Dublin
    Led Zeppelin - Live at Earl's Court 1975

Talking Heads' Stop Making Sense is indeed obligatory! ;)

3. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Concert for George
    Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells II at Edinburgh Castle
    Black Sabbath - Paris 1970
    Woodstock
    Monterey Pop
    Concert for Bangladesh
    The Kids Are Alright -- or another several from The Who if this one doesn't count as a concert, but I'm not choosing another specifically

I'll leave it at that, anything else would be an also-ran.

4. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I don't have ten, but here are two that I really love:

Tori Amos - Live at Montreux 1991/1992
    Specifically, the 1991 show. This captures Tori before her debut album had even been released when she opened for the Moody Blues at the jazz festival. She is so young, so fresh, so enchanting--just her and a small piano. She is intense, beautiful, emotional. You can hear her win over the crowd over the course of her performance. Her performance of 'Winter' is stunning, as is her cover of Led Zeppelin's 'Thank You.'

Rolling Stones - Ladies and Gentlemen
    If I could have seen any concert tour, it would have been the Stones in 1972. I wasn't alive yet and can only live vicariously. I have watched this amazing, loose, energetic, spectacular DVD more times than I can count. The band is on fire, the energy is amazing, the setlist is killer and you get Mick Taylor in a sparkly lips t-shirt as a bonus. :p

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  5. mark winstanley

Both great.
    I almost picked this Stones one, but I'm really attached to that hampton gig :)

stef1205 likes this.
  6. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

OK, so it's 11.
    The Who Tanglewood 1970
    The Who Kilburn/Coliseum
    The Who Live in Texas 1975
    The Pretty Things Live in Brighton
    The Pretty Things SF Sorrow Live at Abbey Road
    Deep Purple Live in Concert 72/73
    Deep Purple Perfect Strangers Live
    Steeleye Span 25th Anniversary Concert
    Procol Harum Beat Club
    Camel Pressure Points
    King Crimson Live in Japan 1984

danielbravo and mark winstanley like this.
  7. mark winstanley

Oh and that reminds me of the magnificent Crimson - Monkey Mind and Mexico blurays

Cheevyjames and MikeM. like this.
  8. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Jeff Beck - Rock & Roll Party BR
    Jeff Beck - Live at Ronnie Scott's BR
    Eric Clapton -Crossroads 2004 2007 2010 (counting as one)
    Elvis - Aloha From Hawaii
    Journey - Escape Tour 81
    Stones - Voodoo Lounge
    Queen - Live in Montreal BR
    25th Anniversary Rock & Roll Hall of Fame BR
    Elton John 60th B-Day BR
    Strat Pack - Live in Concert; 50 years of of Fender

9. mark winstanley

Beck at Ronnie Scott's is another classic

DonnyMe, seacliffe301 and thxphotog like this.
  10. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Rust Never Sleeps
    Bob Dylan Live at Newport
    TAMI Show
    Brian Wilson Presents...SMiLE
    Elvis...1968 Comeback Special

11. mark winstanley

Again I had to toss up between That's the way it is and the 68 comeback .... the sit down shows from 68 are just magnificent

laf848 and RSteven like this.
  12. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Exactly what I had before me, too. I treasure the concert in the round and the sit down a bit more than That’s The Way it Is.

mark winstanley likes this.
  13. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Top 5
    Yessongs
    Gimmie Shelter
    Ladies And Gentlemen
    LA Forum 1975
    Let It Be

14. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells (2nd House 1973... not really a concert, but it's live)
    Tangerine Dream - Coventry Cathedral (even if the music isn't actually what they were playing)
    Roxy Music - Live at the Apollo 2001 (the best reunion I've ever seen)
    Siouxsie & the Banshees - Seven Year Itch (the second best ditto)
    The Who - Kilburn
    Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps
    David Bowie - the original ABC TV broadcast of what became "Ziggy Stardust - the Motion Picture)
    Pink Floyd - Pulse (the first half... "One of these Days" is sensational)
    Genesis - Rainbow 1973
    T Rex - Born to Boogie

15. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Dylan - Don't Look Back deluxe
    Zappa - Roxy the Movie (12/73)
    Soft Machine - NDR Jazz Workshop, 5/15/73
    The Grateful Dead Movie (Winterland, 10/74)
    Deep Purple - Live in Concert 72/73
    ELP - Birth of a Band, Isle of Wight, 8/29/70
    Soft Machine - Switzerland 1974

16. oboogie

oboogie Forum Resident

John Lennon - Sweet Toronto
    George Harrison & Friends - The Concert For Bangladesh
    The Beatles - Let It Be
    Gordon Lightfoot - Live In Reno
    Roger Waters - In The Flesh Live
    John Denver - The Wildlife Concert
    Jim Croce - Live
    Pink Floyd - Pulse
    Roy Orbison - Black&White Night
    The Who - Live At The Isle Of Wright

17. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

Frank Zappa - Token of His Extreme
    Would be even better if they went back and edited out all of the fast camera cuts and edits, but it is my favorite Zappa band so I won't complain too much.

Frank Zappa - Roxy Movie
    Watched the trailer for the movie countless times on the Baby Snakes dvd before it finally came out. As already stated above I wish they had done all of the shows as originally planned, but happy to finally have something besides the trailer to watch.

Neil Young - Berlin

Just watched this the other night again. I just love this band and this show. I wish they would release a deluxe version on blu ray/cd with the entire Berlin show. Great to see footage of Bruce Palmer playing with Neil.

Megadeth - Rude Awakening
    I always thought this version of the band was underappreciated. I liked what Jimmy and Al brought to the band and how they extended certain songs with this line up.

Dire Straits - Rockpalast 1979
    I know it's not an official release, but it have watched this "import" dvd so many times. By far my favorite version of the band and it was great to see them basically play the entire first to albums live.

Buckethead - Young Buckethead Vol. 1

The Deli Creeps footage is fantastic, but the real prize is the Backyard Solo with Buckethead just playing songs at a family party. Volume 2 is very good too.

Free - Forever
    Any footage of Free is great footage. For years I only had the Best of Free VHS tape, so I was so happy when this dvd came out. The only disappointing part is they didn't make it a 3 dvd set with the documentary they completed at the same time they were compiling all of the concert footage for it.

Chic - Live at the Budokan
    I wish it was live footage with Tony T. from the 70's-80's era, but it's better than nothing. Sad that it was Bernard's final show, but I am glad there is a record of it. Wish they would release the complete show with Let's Dance in it, but that is never going to happen.

Grateful Dead - Closing of Winterland
    Love the GD when Keith was in the band. I still remember getting the GD Almanac when the announcement for this came out. I was so excited because 78 has always been a top 5 year for me for the GD.

Tony Joe White - Austin City Limits
    Great show by an unbelievable performer. The Foo Fighters Sonic Highways documentary series was worth watching just for it helping me discover him. Bought this dvd right after I watched the episode he was on and never regretted it for a second.

Bassmiket and mark winstanley like this.
  18. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Kissology - Volume I, II, III
    The Beach Boys - Knebworth 1980
    Neil Young - Red Rocks Live Friends & Relatives
    The Beach Boys - Lost Concert
    Genesis - Shepperton 1973
    Elvis - On Tour
    Bowie - Ziggy Motion Picture
    Iron Maiden - Live After Death
    Rolling Stones - Shine A Light
    Pearl Jam - Touring Band
    Arthur Lee & Love - Forever Changes Live

MRamble, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  19. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

David Bowie - Live in London/Paris 1999 - The Elysee and Astoria shows from TV broadcasts?

mark winstanley likes this.
  20. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

A few more:
    The Who Charleton 1974
    The Who Isle of Wight 1970
    John Entwistle BB King's Club 2001
    The Pretty Things Pop 2 1971
    The Pretty Things Musikladen 1974
    The Pretty Things Rockpalast 1998
    The Kinks BBC 1973
    The Kinks Beacon Theater 1975
    The Kinks OGWT 1977
    Procol Harum Musikladen 1973
    Procol Harum Rockpalast 1976
    The Strawbs Tokyo 1975
    Caravan Pop 2 1973
    Camel Sight and Sound 1977

bhazen and mark winstanley like this.
  21. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

Love this thread!!

Too few discussions about this topic :)

Michael S, SG47 and mark winstanley like this.
  22. mark winstanley

Is Rainbow 73 on video?

23. mark winstanley

In the Flesh is another great one ... I forgot about it to be honest.
    I had that Gordon Lightfoot DVD, I was stunned it even existed, but I left it with Mum when I came over to the US, because she loves some Gord's Gold.

Michael and oboogie like this.
  24. mark winstanley

Love those Kisstory volumes. I was just going to get the first one and then I saw the Oz tour was on the second etc etc . It shows that they really could play great live in spite of all the comments the live albums get

The MEZ likes this.
  25. mark winstanley

Wondering about a few of these too

The MEZ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.