SH Spotlight The Young Rascals, 1967, candid photos from the GROOVIN' recording sessions. Lost for 50 years!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 5, 2019.

1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Between the audio mix, the guys talking over each other, and the sync issue with the video, it's hard to tell for certain, but I think David says that I've Been Lonely Too Long was the first track he sang on.

Hep Alien and Steve Litos like this.
  2. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

You're right! Eddie mis-remembers and whistles. While David says "Lonely Too Long".

Hep Alien and bluemooze like this.
  3. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

I really should get "Groovin'". Their later LPs are good, too.

OK, Q: Years ago I saw a rockumentary about '60s rock and I'm confusing
    who I saw but I'd love to see it again. I'm not sure if it was Eddie Brigati
    singing, "How Can I Be Sure" or Gerry Marsden singing, "Don't Let the
    Sun Catch You Crying" and the singer is perched on the back of a truck
    going down an avenue in either London or NYC or similar. I think the
    fellow was wearing a Tweed hat.

Steve Litos likes this.
  4. amcaudio

amcaudio Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    From Nov 2013 @ The View

5. agundy

agundy Forum Resident

One of my absolute favorite bands....saw them at the Academy of Music in Philadelphia in June of 2013 and they were spectacular!!:thumbsup:

The Panda and Steve Litos like this.
  6. amcaudio

amcaudio Forum Resident

7. roman.p

roman.p Forum Resident

It sounds like organ to me. The sustain gives it away.

8. SkeletonPete

SkeletonPete Forum Resident

Thanks, that is priceless! Like a cross between the Joe Franklin and Uncle Floyd shows.

Steve Litos likes this.
  9. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Steve have you heard the expanded and remastered Groovin cd?

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

No, did they kill it?

driverdrummer likes this.
  11. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

It’s both the stereo and mono mix. The stereo is such a weird mix with pops throughout some songs. Haven’t heard the mono yet.

12. jwjeffrey

jwjeffrey Hard working and Honest!

I guess Felix's leslie speaker is off to the side someplace just like The Ed Sullivan days when they would have the amps out of camera range

13. amcaudio

amcaudio Forum Resident

I believe it was behind the backdrop/screen, the directors choice to keep the stage uncluttered

Hep Alien and jwjeffrey like this.
  14. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

And us old timers know just how Friggen HEAVY those Leslie speakers were!!!~

15. marka

marka Forum Resident

At that 2013 show, it is possible that he was using an “electronic” Lesley effect.

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I’m not seeing any amps either, so it’s possible everything was hidden.

marka likes this.
  17. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident

I listened to that disc both mono and stereo mixes . For the most part I thought it sounded pretty good.

18. marka

marka Forum Resident

Good point.

19. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

That’s the Collector Choice series from2007 with the young Racscals first four albums with stereo and mono mixes. There were no bonus tracks. Lovely set, glad I have them.

Listening to stereo Groovin right now and the mix on Find Somebody pings the mix left to right several times.

I so wanted to go up to NYC and catch the Once Upon a Dream reunion show. Just couldn’t make it.

And I see Eddie Brigati has been doing solo shows around NYC since Deember.

Thanks for the photos Steve

20. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

Probably in my top 20 albums of all-time that are not Beatles albums. Just picked up my 10th or 15th copy of this album today from a Amvets thrift store. I just can't leave these behind when I see them. Unfortunately no poster...but a super clean cover with no seam splits AND the hype sticker for 'How Can I Be Sure' Someday I will do a proper needledrop.

The one I picked up today was a stereo copy. It's been a long time since I played the mono version...are there differences in the mixes?

jwjeffrey likes this.
  21. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I had no clue it was, "You and me, endlessly." Wow. You learn something new every day!

22. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

Thanks for the pics. Listening to the stereo LP right now. Some serious panning in this mix!

23. hakstone

hakstone Witnessing the prototype of the Eloi

Very interested in best sounding cd. I see there are remasters including hdcd and shm cd.

Smiler likes this.
  24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

25. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Tom Down went into detail about the "Groovin'" LP sessions when we asked him about the Rascals.
    One of the things he mentioned was lots of heat and friction between Gene and Felix in the studio at one point where they wouldn't play on each others songs, no keys on Gene's songs, no guitar on two tracks. Then Felix comes in the studio with a 12-string Rickenbacker and plays it on "Find Somebody" which added fuel to the fire.

I never knew about recording at Tallenmasters but it was a step down from Atlantic's 8-track, maybe they went there for the same reason why Coltrane preferred to record at Van Gelders studio, or from what Dowd told us "friction in the (Atlantic) studio", you wonder if they went to a different place with a different atmosphere just to relieve the tension . If this was thread was happening in the late 90's, I would ask Tom Dowd your question and get his answer. I'm guessing the single and flipside were done at Tallentmasters and the rest of the album at Atlantic since Tom Dowd is listed as the engineer on the credits.

Wasn't MoFi supposed to issue the mono mix of Groovin' this year, it was mentioned last year for 2021.

ExHead and Hep Alien like this.