Rolling Stones New Music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Sep 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

2002? 2003? it's on the 'Four Flicks' DVD set...

Sean and TheDailyBuzzherd like this.
  2. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

The weird thing? Didn't know she was married to Andy Williams
    'til this past Christmas while reviewing his '66 Christmas Special.
    There was something to how she looked at him at one point that
    was ... off. Now I know, Lulz.

3. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I just can't get into the way the band sounded in '81. Everything was way too fast, Charlie's drums sound thin and weak, sort of dated guitar tones, Ronnie nowhere near at his best, and an extra hyperactive Mick trying to work the stadium crowds and not leaving enough breath for quality singing...I have the Hampton vault release, and I'm sure I would've loved it if I'd been in the room (granted, that was an arena gig, not an outdoor stadium, which seemed kind of awful in the other '81 tour film), but I can't get into recordings of it.

I actually like the '75 stuff, but despite Mick, not because of him. Sloppy, but Ronnie's playing (plus Billy Preston) makes the shows a worthwhile listen for me, I just wish Mick had put more effort in.

4. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I like the set list in 1975 and Ronnie was playing well to try to get the full time gig but I'm not fan of the Billy Preston mini set in the middle of the 1975 shows. Preston sometimes went a little over the top with the synth in 1975-76.

Sean, RogerB and Exile On My Street like this.
  5. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Yeah, I wasn't really thinking about that, I just like his keyboard playing. He didn't do too much synthy stuff on the Stones tunes, but it was kinda fun hearing them with an extra band member who was from a different musical background.

steelinYaThighs likes this.
  6. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

It's actually from the Austin show on the "Biggest Bang" DVD set...with the infuriatingly cheap paper slipcase.

Former Lee Warmer and The MEZ like this.
  7. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

"Outta Space" in 1975 was one of the highlights for me. They get that monstrous groove going, then they hold it right there for a minute or so, and it's never sloppy -- even in a mediocre show that particular beat is always rock solid, because Charlie just takes it over. Billy does his spiel leading the crowd about "are you ready to take it into outer space, are you ready, we're going to take it into outer space now, here we go, are you ready" and then the crazy Moog solo happens. While at some shows Mick swings around on a trapeze flying over people's heads. It's bloody marvelous. These were skinny English cats, and on a good night it was every bit as solid as P-Funk or the Ohio Players -- Charlie in particular just crushes it on Outta Space, almost every night. His foot on the kick drum, what a workout. As a showcase song it's easily right up there equally with"Tramped Underfoot" or "Frankenstein" or "Comin' Round The Mountain" or any number of seriously heavy funk and rock hybrid things that were big stadium draws at the time. The audience tapes don't lie, a lot of people were flipping out and jaws were on the floor in the crowd when "Outta Space" hit that extra gear.

8. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I would have preferred he not do it in the middle of the Stones set.

9. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I think Keef discusses this in the book. It's not the Billy show co starring the Stones

krock2009, Sean, Aftermath and 2 others like this.
  10. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

I saw them at Cobo in '75. I'm an ex Detroit Rock City man

Sean, twicks and The MEZ like this.
  11. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

The Masonic in '78 is pretty much my "If I had a time machine" gig. Did you make it to that one?

12. 9la

9la Forum Resident

Keef also has discussed the time that Trump put on a Stones concert. The marquee said: "(in big letters) Donald Trump; (in medium letters) presents; (in the smallest letters) the Rolling Stones". Just the facts.

krock2009, jjhunsecker, Sean and 3 others like this.
  13. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Yes. It was incredible. Saw them in Cleveland in 78 too. Much better than '75. But the Masonic show was and still is an all time high for me. That, and Bob Marley at Masonic are probably my two fave shows of many in my time

twicks likes this.
  14. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Keef also discussed pulling a knife on Trump once as well...or was it a gun?

15. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

I thought Ollie Brown took over the drums during Billy's segment?

JuanTCB likes this.
  16. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Unfortunately "That's Life"...................
    ........was played!

John Fell likes this.
  17. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

I think he also showed the Donald the blade.

18. TheDailyBuzzherd

A vote for '75 here.

19. TheDailyBuzzherd

Yep. Then pulled a knife and slammed it on a table.

20. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

Keep them in check, but realisticly, you sound pretty picky. Giving you a birthday present could be very difficult . Just kidding. A Bigger Bang had Let Me Down Slow, This Place Is Empty, Rough Justice, Oh No Not You Again, Streets Of Love, which is my wife's personal favorite. I mean, it's The Stones grown up. Maybe that's it! Not putting you down personally, but men sometimes don't ever grow up. Not like women do. We can be immature for a very long time. And be in denial. Is it safe to assume that could be you too? I know it's me. Makes perfect sense because why you would be on a Stones thread admitting you haven't liked a Stones album in Thirty years? Sorry, but it could be true because...I know my wife isn't wrong.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Well, it could be a part of it. I absolutely loved SG, ER, and TT. Then I dreamed of meeting the Stones, especially Keith and I then later got to meet him many times, and even got to chat plenty in private. He was everything I had hoped, sharing with me things he's never told anyone before. So even if I know he has flaws like everyone, he is way up there (permanently) on top of the list of cool rock stars imo. I can hear that Stones magic on these three albums, and to this day they still sound great. But it's not obvious to me anymore. The Stones used to tell us what's going on in their world in the lyrics. I don't hear that private stuff at all. But anyway, I like them them still. Bought everything on vinyl up to and including Babylon.

John Grimes and steelinYaThighs like this.
  22. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

steelinYaThighs and Sean like this.
  23. Former Lee Warmer

The version of 'That's Life' from LA Friday is absolutely SMOKING hot!! It's like the sloppy, drunken 'not give a ****' Stones woke up and decided to play tight-but-loose for a tune or two. Like, they didn't care to slop through their own songs, but they were on POINT for Billy's, and 'That's Life', especially...

steelinYaThighs and bonus like this.
  24. Former Lee Warmer

It's so true... (sigh)
    It's true for me, too.

25. Former Lee Warmer

This.

bonus and TheDailyBuzzherd like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.