'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

I've got Etc on the way.

Undecided on Contours -- it's got a lot of Freddie, not enough Sam. Freddie seems to have been the house trumpet player for Blue Note, and wasn't always the most tasteful soloist. I do like kinda like the album though.

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I picked up the Corea and Shorter LPs at a local shop yesterday. One listen to each so far, and no apparent defects on my copies. The sound is excellent. Looking forward to the next batch.

3. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

Hahaha, me too Malachi, but Universal is a BIG company and in this particular case, I'm glad that someone else got what would have come to me. (I have test pressings after all.) When the supply chain issues are solved I'll demand a couple of finished LPs for myself.

FashionBoy and SoundDoctor like this.
  4. I’m sampling the Kenny Burrell album now on Apple Music - this is top notch stuff. Definitely down for this one.

5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Bought a 70s RVG cut pressing of Free For All a couple years back for $10. I bought Basra on CD.

As I said before, I'm not a fan of yo-yo pricing models, scalper/ebay flipper-like behavior from labels, etc. and won't play that game. All the money I had planned to spend on more MM titles after I got a few of them at "normal" prices went to other audiophile reissue labels instead.

If BN themselves start to play games with the Tone Poet releases, I'll stop buying them as well.

robd2, Natxopop, Brando4905 and 2 others like this.
  6. Budgetphile

Budgetphile Forum Resident

Yikes my original post was full of typos. That’s what you get for typing on a cellphone while holding a child.

I agree with you that is is crumby for MM to up prices as stock gets low. I’m sure the MM Basra 45 is worth the money but I guess it’s a luxury I will not be enjoying.

SoundDoctor and patient_ot like this.
  7. birchstick

birchstick Forum Resident

Spinning Etc now for the first time, and it's fantastic! The sound feels fresher than several of the MM titles I have. I know it was recorded in 1965 and released in the 80's, so maybe it'd due to the tape not being used as much over the years? Either way, love it and can't wait for more from this series!

8. gov

gov Forum Resident

+1,000,000,0000,0000,0000,000

ausgraeme, SoundDoctor, Stu02 and 4 others like this.
  9. Cervelo

Cervelo Forum Resident

I agree. Anybody have an idea when the MM and AP authorized pressing runs expire for Blue Note?

10. Brando4905

Brando4905 Forum Resident

Totally agree. I’m all in on these new Tone Poet BN reissues, especially now hearing them, they are for sure worth the asking price. Equal to the beloved MM series. I’d love to have more MM, but I just can’t pay for them anymore. Plus, for me, being able to purchase these through Amazon means the world since I’m a Prime subscriber. What more could we want....fast shipping and easy returns if there is an issue.

Looking forward to the next releases.

ausgraeme, patient_ot and djost like this.
  11. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Oh, we're definitely on the same page regarding that, don't take it the wrong way. I just noticed the username and found it funny that you said that.

Btw, still waiting for your favourite pianoless trios list over on the other side ;)

bluejimbop and Budgetphile like this.
  12. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

They could probably tone down the wide spine a little bit but I love these high quality jackets

Joseph LeVie likes this.
  13. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Has there been a list of upcoming titles other than the four that have been mentioned so far?

14. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

BLUE NOTE RECORDS PRESENTS THE TONE POET AUDIOPHILE VINYL REISSUE SERIES | News

Agreed. One method that works for me: Take the jacket and insert the album from the open side first such that the spine, once the jacket is fully inserted, is exposed to the open slit. It's backward. You can't slide the vinyl out that way to play it. But it can help "grease" the clear plastic out sleeve, hopefully without tearing it. After it has been stretched, remove the jacket and flip it back around. Make sense?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    bluejimbop and SoundDoctor like this.
  15. birchstick

birchstick Forum Resident

I wonder if the SRX's came out after the Tone Poets if they would have sold as well.

16. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I bought one SRX (and have a bit of buyers remorse about it) and two Tone Poets. I don't intend to buy any more SRX unless they do titles I don't have that I want, but the price is over the top, IMHO. The Tone Poets are priced very fair.

17. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

I really think it’s down to the people packing them at amazon. I received both titles yesterday and the bag on Etc was partially torn. Didn’t bother me at all as everything within was in perfect shape. I can live without tearing the bag open myself.

Thanks for putting these out!

18. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Just because of the high price? Or the product isn't as good as you hoped?

bluejimbop and SoundDoctor like this.
  19. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I know I wasn't the one you're asking but I agree, $60 isn't justified by the product. They don't sound better than other standard MM 33s I own. But maybe my system wouldn't reveal the difference.

20. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

If I had to make an educated guess, then I'm certain that part of the higher price besides the new SRX formula are probably licensing costs. We shouldn't forget that the Tone Poet series are directly from Blue Note/Universal, so there are no licensing expenses.

bluejimbop, JHC3, Joe Harley and 5 others like this.
  21. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Correct - a big part of that is the insurance cost to be able to procure and handle master tape. Blue note requires at minimum something along the lines of a $500,000 insurance policy as liability cost for master tape in event of accident or damage.

bluejimbop, JHC3, Joe Harley and 4 others like this.
  22. Holy smokes.

SoundDoctor and Tommyboy like this.
  23. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Is that the amount of insurance or the cost of the insurance? Guessing the former, and if so would be curious if the actual cost of the insurance.

24. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

im not privey to all the fine details but I’m assuming that is the amount of insurance. I do not want to know what the actual premium cost is :)

25. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Yah - to blue notes credit, these are essentially highly valued works of art that are irreplaceable, so I think it’s fair and appropriate for blue note to require some form of liability protection if they are going to release master tape.