Anybody still go to record shows?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by evillouie, Jun 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

We have two record shows here a year - October and March. They are my favourite days
    of the annum. I always find goodies I can't get anywhere else. And I get the biggest kick
    out of watching what other music fans are buying! Cracks me right up......and I should add
    that these shows aren't even advertised any more - word-of-mouth and loyalty brings back
    the customers.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    lazydawg58 likes this.
  2. Jonathan Wallick

Jonathan Wallick Well-Known Member

Every record show, at least once per show, I hear these! Or, what about when the hosts of the show get on an overhead mic to help would-be shoppers find certain records...? The last 3 shows it’s been, “Attention dealers. We have someone looking for any vinyl copies of Imagine Dragons. I repeat, Imagine Dragons”.

Talk about biting my tongue! Ahahahaha!

Fifth-Chord likes this.
  3. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I would if they still happened around me. I built a good chunk of my library at record shows.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  4. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

And sadly for Philly proper, that is about it. Brought home a full bag of good stuff last time .

5. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

I went to one today. Ironically, it was SO packed with people that I didn't buy anything. EVERY table had a crowd around it for the hour or so that I was there. I wish it was 20 years ago when used rock albums were around $5-$10 apiece instead of $25-$50. Not complaining, I am happy that so many people are back into collecting. There wasn't anything particular I was looking for so I wasn't disappointed.

6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I worked a show with a friend, helping him schlep the equipment and boxes in and helping him set it all up.

That was the last one I've been to because I found some sleezeball selling the Kate Bush video collection I edited for free fan-to-fan distribution.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  7. monte4

monte4 Senior Member

Yea, that's the trouble with 3 big shows we have every year near me. The last time I went I paid an extra $20 as they will let you in an hour early. There were only about 20 people who paid for this. Only worth that if you know what you want before hand and are going to buy. I won't go just to browse anymore, it's too crazy.

Chew likes this.
  8. Jonathan Wallick

Jonathan Wallick Well-Known Member

Same here. Especially my early days of collecting. Great way to check off at least 20 LPs from your wantlist, all in one afternoon.

Pinknik likes this.
  9. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident

I know OP's post is almost 2 years old but I feel the same way about my local shows. I've gone to a variety, even "different" organizers, and it always ends up being the same 20 or so sellers, with the same product.

Understandably so (local sellers want to be at as many selling spots as they can, of course) but I think that I'm more inclined to wait and try and hit a different one in my travels, to hopefully dig some fresh ground, as it were.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  10. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I love going an browsing the rows of music. seeing what other folks are purchasing, asking them if what there getting is any good.

phillyal1 likes this.
  11. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

I tend to buy 20 LPs that I have never seen before (and may not see again)

lazydawg58, R. Totale and Tim 2 like this.
  12. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

The next show I plan on going to is on April 27 up in Columbus I believe.
    It will be the weekend of my birthday, so it will be a treat for me.
    I miss a lot of shows because the just happen to fall on the weekend I work.
    I don't pick up stuff I can see at my local shop.

Darryl

13. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Ah, we call them Record Fairs, I thought you were asking about Recording Shows, silly me.

14. The last two (2) record shows I tried to go to here in DC, people were literally lined up around the block to get in -- and it was almost an hour wait just to get in the door (where I'm sure it was shoulder to shoulder). I waited 30 minutes in line the first time, and gave it. Went a little earlier the second time (but not so early that you had to pay $10 to get in), and the line was even longer, so I bailed right from the git go.

Whoever books this event into the space it's in, is crazy for not picking some place with MORE SPACE.

It wasn't even the time waiting in line that bugged me the most, but the fact that it was a half a mob-scene inside, which I didn't want to have any part in.

15. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Well the next time the show comes around me appears to be my mother-in-law's 80th birthday so I doubt I'll make it. :cussing:

16. Robamorican

Robamorican Forum Resident

Have you hit Double Decker for RSD? What kind of line , if you have .

zphage likes this.
  17. nancybrooke

nancybrooke Not quite Senior Member

Has anyone here been to the big record convention in Austin? It looks overwhelming (in a good way?). I'm in the early stages of planning a trip in November, if I can convince my husband ;)

18. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Been there......in May of 2017 ( I think)

19. 86mets

86mets Counting Crows #1 Fan

I live close to Salt Lake City UT...don't remember ANY record shows in recent memory...would definitely go if given the chance...

20. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

There was a good two-day show in Birmingham Alabama last Friday and Saturday. The next one there will be a three-day show in August.
    Yeah, people still go.

21. nancybrooke

nancybrooke Not quite Senior Member

You're in luck! The Great Salt Lake Record Sale is at the Urban Arts Gallery on March 23rd and 24th.

22. mikem60

mikem60 Forum Resident

We have 5 a year here. Need to go back to 4 or even 3

Starting to see same ol sellers and same ol Junk

That said .....haven’t missed one in years

23. 86mets

86mets Counting Crows #1 Fan

sweet...did not know that it was coming up...thanks for the heads-up...:)

nancybrooke likes this.
  24. uphoria6

uphoria6 Senior Member

heck yes. I love record shows. Went to one on Sunday. Picked up the below
    [​IMG]

troggy, uzn007 and lazydawg58 like this.
  25. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

We still have a couple shows each year here in Atlanta. I went this past weekend. For the first hour or so I dug through some boxes. Each interesting item was either priced too high or had visible defects to the vinyl. Took a look at a very pretty LZIIRL. Seller asked $250.

As I was resigned to leave empty handed, I stopped at the table in the front I had passed on the way in. From that 1 selller, I picked up 11 great albums for $135. All vintage first or early pressings except one. All NM vinyl.

First two Traffic albums on UA
    Best of Traffic pink rim island
    Honky Chateau on Uni
    Blow by Blow
    King Crimson Beat in shrink
    Fleetwood Mac Greatest Hits (Peter Green era on CBS)
    VH2 in shrink
    Pearl Jam 10 (2017) in shrink
    Roxy Music GH

I’m still smiling about it and have enjoyed cleaning and listening to the first 5 of them so far.

parman, uzn007 and lazydawg58 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.