'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Now pick up that cue and back away from that tonearm very, very slowly.

MisterBritt and ausgraeme like this.
  2. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Should I emerge from under the covers?

But seriously, there's no way to tell if anything is damaged, right? Other than it being bent or it sounding weird....

3. Josquin des Prez

If it's damaged it won't sound right. Relax and play your favorite stuff tomorrow.

bluejimbop and SoundDoctor like this.
  4. Spinning Now He Sings for the second time and this record is something else. Great playing and great recording of the piano. Just sounds fantastic.

5. Josquin des Prez

My wife are sitting down with a bottle of Merlot and currently spinning J.J. Cale Naturally, an old favorite (Speakers Corner reissue).

6. Sounds lovely. That is a great album for sure. How is the sound on the SC release? I have an old original that is pretty clean - sounds pretty nice.

scotti likes this.
  7. mcenters

mcenters Forum Resident

Received my copy today of ETC from amazon and there was not any shrink wrap or sticker. It would have been cool to have the hype sticker, but the record and cover were perfect. I look at it as if I was buying a record in the U.K. back in the 70's.

I will say the bang for the buck on this reissue is top shelf.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  8. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Mine was sealed in a thin RTI bag with a tear off strip.
    Strange these reports on missing shrink wrap.

My only minor complaint is those inner sleeves. They go in the trash every time. I threw out a bunch of this this week!
    I wish they would use the mofi style rice paper.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  9. Josquin des Prez

It sounds great. Somewhere I have a crusty old original. I should compare them. Earlier today I played the Classic reissue of Leo Kottke 6- and 12-String Guitar on clarity vinyl. That sounds amazing, especially with the Dynavector cartridge I have on demo at home (which I think I have to buy).

10. Curious about this as well... I’ve also got an original pressing that sounds fine but is the SC good? What a great low key album.

scotti likes this.
  11. I can't believe I almost passed on the Correa record. I streamed both and Shorter was more up my alley, but Now He Sings is becoming a quick favorite.

And while both sound fantastic, NHS is the clear winner when it comes to sonics on my system

Kimiimacman, PATB and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  12. Josquin des Prez

Yeah, this is the first time I've played it since all the major system upgrades that started last August. It sounds fantastic. I need to see if I can find my original and compare them.

Nearly all of SC reissues are from original master tape and AAA.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  13. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

My replacement ETC arrives tomorrow. If it is dimple free i will keep it even if sans baggie... also ordered the Chick. Too late i guess since it already went back to suggested retail

14. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

Guys, please understand that the SRX formulation costs considerably more than the (excellent) vinyl we're using for the Tone Poet series. $8 and change more to be exact at manufacturer cost. The SRX series from Music Matters is a balls-out, cost-no-object attempt at climbing Mount Everest. Personally, I love it that both programs exist. For Blue Note lovers, has it ever been better?

15. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

It's actually a million dollar policy.

16. Josquin des Prez

For all of you who like the Chick Corea, I think you might also like another title he did a few years later with a different trio. Check out A.R.C. on ECM Records with David Holland (one of my all time favorite bassists) and Barry Altshul. It has a great version of Shorter's Nefertiti. That trio later added Anthony Braxton to form the Circle group.

And if haven't yet experienced the excellent recordings/masterings of original analog ECM recordings you should.

17. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

This album (for the Solid State label) was actually recorded by the great engineer Don Hahn, not RVG, hence the different sonic perspective,

18. Yep, I was gonna comment on that as well. Certainly unique to hear the differences!

MisterBritt likes this.
  19. That makes a lot of sense. A very different sound signature than the RVG sound I am used to

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  20. Josquin des Prez

I get what is there with the SRX titles, it's just that the pricing surpassed my threshold of pain. I gave one a college try and ROA just isn't there for me. The one SRX I tried is great, but for me it's not $70 great. I don't buy the Mofi $125 Ultradisc One-Step or the AP $100 UHQR issues either.

The Tone Poet series at $35 are in the sweet spot. That's what I expect to pay for good quality AAA reissues (e.g. Analog Productions Prestige and RCA Living Stereo series and Speakers Corner titles).

21. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

Do you know if SRX is the same stuff MoFi labels as their "SuperVinyl?" They sound pretty similar...

22. Well, Amazon beat B&N to my door easily today. I’m playing the Corea record right now. It is just dancing off my speakers. This is simply a stellar remaster all-round!

I was impressed that Amazon double-boxed the LP. It came in perfect shape. The cover is minty, solid, and striking. The LP is clean, flat and has dynamic-looking grooves.

A lot of care has been put into the production of this record, and it shows! Now I really can’t wait for Etcetera!

Enjoying,

Bill

23. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

:eek: Can’t believe I was actually being conservative on that quote!

Ryan_Pretzel and SoundDoctor like this.
  24. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I just read the supervinyl blurb on the mofi website and it does sound similar, but branded and produced through two different companies - TPC plastics for SRX and neotech for supervinyl, both distributed here through RTI. Both are carbonless compositions, both have the translucent quality, both appear to try to replicate the kind of groove definition and density you get with the lacquer cut.

scotti likes this.
  25. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

The Music Matters website mentions that NEOTECH makes the SRX formula. Since MoFi says the same thing with their SuperVinyl, I think they're probably the same thing.