Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Finishing listening to the Sibelius symphonies conducted by Rozhdestvensky issued by Melodiya.

George P likes this.
  2. Daedalus

Now, on to a relisten of the wonderful set of Ralph Vaughan Williams symphonies conducted by Rozhdestvensky and issued on CD by Melodiya.

3. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Is this from a big Rozdestvensky set?

4. Daedalus

No a small box set issued by Melodiya a bout 3 years ago. Still available from amazon( possibly others). I would post a picture but I can’t figure out how to do it on here.

George P likes this.
  5. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Yes, he has to use a violin bow in Henze's "Memorias de El Cimarron:--not my favorite piece (largely due to the narration in German), but the rest of the piece are good.

[​IMG]

6. Sunburst Finish

Sunburst Finish Forum Resident

As I wrote in my first post which appeared in the Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets thread -

:tiphat: - To the thread starter and everyone who has participated for the esprit de corps shown within the posts - very impressive and a refreshing change of pace and style from my previous forum...

Allow me to introduce myself to one and all with one of my favourite works - one that, for me, transcends both time and space - especially the andante assai second movement...

I've included links to each of the three movements should anyone wish to listen...

Note: the original post that I wrote used a photograph of the album and each of the three movements should have appeared as links rather than as an embedded video followed by two links. My apologies if the embedded video causes bandwidth issues for anyone. And if someone could advise me as to how to insert links that appear as print rather than the actual video I would be quite grateful for the kindness.

Prokofiev: Violin Concerto No.2 in G minor, Op.63 - 2. Andante assai

Prokofiev: Violin Concerto No.2 in G minor, Op.63 - 3. Allegro, ben marcato

And for the record my name actually is "Donny Brook" - I was born Donald Stuart Brook - but everyone (including my own family!) has always referred to me as "Donny Brook" as if it were one word and not two - :laugh:

Allow me to express best wishes to all!

7. drh

drh Talking Machine

Welcome to the thread! Please do settle in and stay a spell. Are you a violin maven? We have lots of pianophiles (including yours truly), but I think fewer whose first love is the violin. Fortunately, we're pretty laid back; I don't think you'll find the two engaging in any, uh, donnybrooks. ;)

George P likes this.
  8. Sunburst Finish

Thank you for the warm welcome and while I am indeed one whose first love is the violin I too am pretty laid back - I'm not exactly the most discerning of members as I tend to find something of interest in everything and I'm not one to criticize that which may not be to my taste.

"To each his own, eh?... "

"Live and let live, eh?... "

"You go your way and I'll go mine, eh?... "

"So let's leave it alone 'cause we can't see eye to eye
    There ain't no good guy, there ain't no bad guy
    There's only you and me and we just disagree"... eh?

Latest listening release - (kind of on a Prokofiev kick for reasons which escape even me) -

Prokofiev: Piano Concerto No. 5 in G major, Op. 55 -
    • BBC Philharmonic
    • Gianandrea Noseda
    • Jean-Efflam Bavouzet (piano)
    [​IMG]

Eigenvector likes this.
  9. George P

Same to you, Donny Brook! Nice to have you on the thread. I don't think I have very many recordings of the Prokofiev Violin Concerto, but I love the piano concertos. I have 3 sets of them - Beroff, Browning and Ashkenazy. I have Gergiev and Ozawa's recordings of the symphonies, but really need to listen to them more.

And welcome to the thread! This past October marked 10 years since I started it. I had been on this forum awhile and like you, participated in classical forums in the past. I wanted a place here at SHMF to post about classical music recordings/works/composers/performers I enjoyed, listened to, saw live, purchased and recommended. One of the things I liked about this site is the moderation, which helps us stay on this topic.

cdgenarian likes this.
  10. George P

:)

(Had to look up that last word.)

drh likes this.
  11. drh

drh Talking Machine

I blush to confess I'm not that familiar with the Prokofiev vln. cti., but this may be of interest: David Oistrakh recorded the first with the composer conducting. I have two copies, both on LP, but only one really worth owning. That one is on a '50s label called Colosseum (trademark was a picture of the ruined Colosseum in Rome with the motto "Only Great Art Survives"--and the label didn't), one of those little American all-classical labels that used to pop up now and again, none successfully, with a business plan of making a living on reissuing masters from the then Soviet Union for Western music lovers. The other is on Everest from its post-Belock days, which, with its typical discerning standards, saw fit to reissue this workaday example of '50s Communist Bloc mono in--fake quad. Ugh!

As to no. 2, as far as I know the first commercial recording of the piece, at least in the Americas, was by Jascha Heifetz with Serge Koussevitzky and the Boston SO. On the same day they recorded the Brahms. Unfortunately, Victor's recording engineers set the recording lathes running too fast, meaning the records would play flat. The Brahms they redid the next day; they knew in that thrice-familiar work the defect would be noticed. The Prokofiev, on the other hand, was wet-on-the-page modern at the time, and Victor issued it at the wrong speed as set M 450 (the form in which I have it) on the theory nobody knew the piece well enough to catch the blunder.

The BBC Music Magazine issued a concert recording of the latter work by its dedicatee, Robert Soetens, with Sir Henry Wood conducting the BBC SO, recorded 12-20-1936. Dunno how hard that one is to get now, and also dunno how readily the Oistrakh no. 1 can be had on CD, although I presume it must have been issued in that format at some point.

cdgenarian likes this.
  12. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

That recording with the composer conducting sounds intriguing, but is not included in either of the two Oistrakh boxes readily available. While both the EMI and DG boxes include early mono recordings of Concerto no. 1, they are with Kondrashin conducting the USSR State Symphony Orchestra (1953, DG) and Matacic conducting the LSO (1954, EMI). By then Prokofiev was no longer able to conduct, having died on March 5 1953, the same day as Stalin.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    cdgenarian and George P like this.
  13. Åke Bergvall

Remembering that I also have a handful Oistrakh recordings in my Korean Legendary Soviet Recordings box, I discovered yet another early Prokofiev Violin Concerto no. 1, but unfortunately not with the composer this time either, but another Kondrashin (live) recording from 1955 with the All Union Radio Large Symphony Orchestra.

Daedalus and cdgenarian like this.
  14. George P

That is a drawback to those sets. They give the impression that they are comprehensive, but they are limited in only recordings made for that particular label. Also, they sometimes completely ignore earlier recordings by a given performer, preferring to issue only later recordings, often in stereo sound. At any rate, this appears to be the aforementioned recording. Here's the discogs link: Kabalevsky* / Prokofieff* / David Oistrakh* - Violin Concerto Opus 48 / Violin Concerto #1 In D Major Opus 19

[​IMG]

cdgenarian and Åke Bergvall like this.
  15. drh

drh Talking Machine

It wouldn't be in those boxes; it wasn't recorded by DG or EMI, or in fact any Western label. It would have originated with Melodyia, and if you're trying to track it down you'll need to look for issues sourced from that rich but mysterious catalogue. Good luck--Melodyia recordings seem to wash up on Western shores and then recede again like the tide, and seldom is there any rhyme or reason to what gets issued and what doesn't. There used to be a CD label called Russian Revelation that seems a plausible candidate; you might start there, although I have no idea if it actually ever picked up that recording. Here in the United States, if you were willing to take it in LP form, the Colosseum issue is a known quantity, and the recording might well have appeared on MK; I doubt the former would have made it to Sweden, however, and while I think the latter had more of an "official" relationship with Melodyia, I don't know how much or whether it extended to issues overseas.

cdgenarian likes this.
  16. drh

drh Talking Machine

Yes, that's the very one. Thanks for doing some legwork, and agreed about the box collections, particularly their propensity to prioritize sound quality over performance.

George P likes this.
  17. Sunburst Finish

The EMI box also includes the really first-rate 1958 recording of the Concerto No. 2 which was conducted by Alceo Galliera and the Philharmonia Orchestra.

cdgenarian likes this.
  18. Sunburst Finish

"Another reported recording with Prokofiev and the Moscow Philharmonic was of the First Violin Concerto with David Oistrakh as soloist; Everest Records later released this recording on an LP. Despite the attribution, the conductor was Aleksandr Gauk. " - Sergei Prokofiev - Wikipedia (item found under "Recordings" heading.

Prokofiev and Stravinsky – Composers Conduct - "Prokofiev, although he was a reluctant conductor who learned the art only to perform his own works, eventually became quite an adept leader of orchestras. It’s a pity that we have only one recording of his conducting, but it’s a significant one: the Second Suite from Romeo and Juliet. This recording was reissued several times on LPs, with most of these transfers taken from dubbed 78s which were incomplete."

cdgenarian and Åke Bergvall like this.
  19. Åke Bergvall

Thanks drh for the heads-up, but since I'm not a vinyl man (I sold my vinyls back in the late '80's already and have not looked back) I'll have to do without it unless someone transfers it onto CD or a download. By the way, the DG box does include recordings originating with Melodyia via Westminster (including the 1953 Kondrashin recording I mention in my previous post), and I think there are a few early Soviet ones in the EMI box as well that probably have that origin.

Thanks also to Donny Brook for your links, which seem to rule out Prokofiev conducting this particular recording anyways.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    cdgenarian likes this.
  20. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

About the suite from Romeo: there are two recordings conducted by the composer. The one on Philips CD, which had been issued a few years before on a Melodiya LP, is different from the one issued on Russian 78s. For details see Peter Adamson's article in Hillandale News:

Sorry, forum software is not allowing me to post the link. https ://
    archive.org/details/HillandaleNews187 (remove the spaces)

cdgenarian and George P like this.
  21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

archive.org/details/HillandaleNews187

cdgenarian and Walter H like this.
  22. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying a spin of the first and fourth symphonies from the above set, mine is the original Philips issue.

Eigenvector likes this.
  23. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

I've been enjoying this lately. The Seattle Symphony has come a long way and this recording is rich in orchestral timbres.

[​IMG]

JuniorMaineGuide and George P like this.
  24. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

Love the Seattle Symphony. I think they are doing amazing work and performing interesting repertoire. They won two Grammies tonight -- for Kernis's Violin Concerto with James Ehnes.

Bubbamike likes this.
  25. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

The Nashville Symphony Orchestra is playing his Symphony No. 4 in concerts the 21-23. The performances will be recorded for a Naxos release. The NSO has earned 24 Grammy nominations & won 13 Grammy awards.

ubertrout and JuniorMaineGuide like this.