What CD or Vinyl will you use to impress your guest.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thomaskong, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/Round-Up-Erich-Kunzel/dp/B000FKO40C

If your system give wide and deep soundstage, then this CD will impress your guest.

My system give holographic image of the first track.

Horses are moving around.

Also my system show excellent dynamics of Gun shot at Track 7.

Thomas

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    SquishySounds and The FRiNgE like this.
  2. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Don't 90% of ppl just use DSOTM or Dire Straits?

3. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

No one I know would be impressed regardless what I played.

4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I don't invite people over to impress them. Mostly they just eat my food and drink my beer. I do let my guest pick if they want to. I'm not Dale Carnegie.

5. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident

I get people to impress ME! They usually put on some hipster soufflé and I get up and grab a beer and tell them to let me know when they find what they're looking for :)

Seriously though, Folk Singer is a pretty good demo record. It sounds amazing even on average systems. Bahamas Earthtones is equally impressive, albeit less known. Both have the advantage of actually being absolutely stellar albums in their own right.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2019
  6. brushwg

brushwg Forum Resident

7. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

Without a doubt my greatest impressing guests track if you have a solid system is "Post Toastee" by Tommy Bolin from his solo album Private Eyes

KenAmmo, clhboa, loudinny and 3 others like this.
  8. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

Led Zeppelin II (RL cut)
    Rage Against The Machine (RL cut)
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (45rpm SH cut)
    Van Halen (SH cut)
    The White Stripes - Icky Thump (SH cut)
    Neil Young - Harvest (2009 cut)
    Red Hot Chili Pepoers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik (2015 hi-res download)
    -the usual.

Old Rusty and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  9. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

Little bit depending on who it is that I am playing for or what I am trying to achieve.

Like if it is some young uninterested individual. And as a old fart I doing the whole procedure of taking out a vinyl.
    Then it is fun to put on something new that the kids recognise. Like Adele, Ed Sheeran, Avichi and so on. Or little bit sneaky when it is as background music (have the stereo in the living room and not everyone is interested) playing old stuff on the TT and then switch to something new. Then I get "that is ***!" :D

Or if you want to point out and get a discussion about analog/digital and real instruments/synthesizers and so on.
    I can use "the Barbra Streisand album" from 1963 ( CS 8807 ). That had a budget of 18000$ then. And recorded with a whole orchestral setup. I have the first stereo pressing (the CD sounds fine to). Her voice is as good it can get no matter when recorded or what format you prefer. So it is fun to see theirs reactions. :D

There are older audiofiles (that has obanded TT and moved on, many years ago) That have got sad when they hear the sound quality of very few late 50/60-ties recordings. Like Barbara or TBM (three blind mice) with 45 rpm. And they realise that "why did I put up with the SQ of deep purple and others in my youth" when I now hear evidence that SQ wise that they clearly had the teknologi to make the recordings sound better. Than I had to put up with in the 70-ties.. :)

Then there are "keith don't go" Nils Löfgren the version from "Acustic Live" album (sound engineer had a good day at work that day
    EAN: 0820761101422).
    Easier for non audiofiles there is one voice and a guitar. With the great recorded reverberation and Nils more advanced and energy fild guitar playing. ;)

Or as more educational is Mike Valentine's recording (val 007) of a cello in a church with specific microphones ridged to capture the piece.
    Then they go out in the grave yard and use the exact the same setup. It is a great show case of with or without the reverberation of the room (point of discussion). ;)

As seen I want to move emotions by moving trough time, like suddenly play something from their childhood that they didn't was expecting to hear when they woke up that day, just for fun. :D

The DSOTM is in my opinion SQ wise little bit dated (have a early pressing of that to) and it is arranged music (if you know what I mean). It is and was light years ahead of the music from that time. But today it is more of nostalgia than SQ. That is good to if that is the intention in my opinion. :)

I also play "private Investigations" on HDCD (vertigo 558658-2). I have measured higher dynamic range on this record than other CDs with the same track/s. So that track is all about DR and why not use the pressing that has the most of that. And after a vinyl session some CD playing will showcase how good the system really is.. :eek:

That said even if I love my vinyl and sometimes I don't know why I listening to them (yes I have a bunch of reasons but it is of topic) :cheers:

Yost, old45s, timind and 1 other person like this.
  10. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Yello - is a good way to hi-light a systems strengths and get folks asking " what is this".

Yost, delmonaco, Kyle Mooney and 4 others like this.
  11. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

Depends on the audience and my mood. Some options include:

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
    Radiohead - Kid A
    Real Estate - Atlas
    The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream

Nicholas Jaar - Space is Only Noise
    Jon Hopkins - Singularity
    Com Truise - Iteration
    Mount Kimbie - Maybes EP
    Massive Attack - 100th Window
    Boards of Canada - pretty much any of their albums

Neil Young - Live at Massey Hall 1971
    Timber Timbre - Hot Dreams
    Andy McKee - Art of Motion
    Pat Metheny - One Quiet Night

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
    Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto - Getz/Gilberto
    Sera Una Noche - La Segunda
    Sera Una Noche - Sera Una Noche EP

Vincent Belanger - Pure Cello

And of course, Nils Lofgren’s live version of Kieth Don’t Go is always an impressive showcase. As is Stevie Ray Vaughan’s Tin Pan Alley. If I only had 30 seconds to impress someone, either of those tracks would do it.

Soundnz, timind, David M. and 4 others like this.
  12. myself

myself Active Member

I use piano solo cd. I turned on the CD before friends come to my home. After they entered the door, some might ask who’s playing the piano. I like to use Arthur Rubinstein ‘the Chopin I love’ Blue Spec CD(BVCC 20030) staring from the second track.

If I know they like music, I usually ask them to bring their own CD and play on my system.

Rukiki likes this.
  13. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

The mid '90's four track tape digital remix and mastering of Nancy Wilson's "Lush Life" album on CD.
    If she doesn't sound like she's in the room with you on your system, you'll need at least a Bass/Treble EQ adjust, then crank it up to desire...

14. Hab

Hab Forum Resident

Napalm Death, but then I don't really like having guests

15. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

WYWH actually ;^)

16. Madison Mike

Madison Mike Forum Resident

Charlie Brown Christmas, Kevin Gray cut for Analogue Productions.

Brando4905 likes this.
  17. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

For real though, I usually ask what they want to hear, not what I want.

18. Brando4905

Brando4905 Forum Resident

Can’t believe Gaucho or Aja hasn’t been mentioned yet. I’m not much for trying to impress others, but the Gaucho Japan SACD is what I reach for first if there is any kind of system change or demoing a piece of gear.

Todd68, VU Master, kevywevy and 3 others like this.
  19. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Joni Mitchell - Night Ride Home
    Yes - The Yes Album
    Julie Feeney - Pages
    Genesis - Trick of the Tail
    Ray Charles - The Great Ray Charles

All original redbook CD.

cnolanh, VU Master, Ivand and 2 others like this.
  20. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Very well mastered vinyl. Al B. Sure Nite and Day.

Wasabi likes this.
  21. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

Dave brubeck take 5.

Jack/UK, Old Rusty, Ecjjr and 8 others like this.
  22. Brando4905

Brando4905 Forum Resident

One I forgot about that was just pulled out for my Sunday morning vinyl ritual is, the Mofi Alison Krauss, “So Long, So Wrong”. Stunning.

mreeter likes this.
  23. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

fagan nightfly.

24. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Yep. Telegraph Road, Dire Straits. One Step MOFI Nightfly (or just an original).

TSWisla likes this.
  25. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Which album, Scum or Utopia Banished? ;)

If I have any guests that come to my place, I've got a selection of albums that I can demo for people, especially those who need a point-of-reference with respect to how good records can really sound.

Here's some in my collection that I'd use:

-Any of my Music Matters Jazz pressings (John Coltrane's Blue Train, Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue, or Sonny Clark's Cool Struttin')

-My Slayer and Metallica 45RPM DMM cuts

-New Order - Low-Life and Blue Monday 12" single

-Prodigy - The Fat of The Land (double LP edition)

-Vangelis - Blade Runner soundtrack (Audio Fidelity LP)

-Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

fitzrik, Kyle Mooney, Soundnz and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.