New Pioneer 2-Channel Integrated Amplifier

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Feb 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Pioneer is back in the 2-channel game, at least in Europe.
    Modest ratings and price.
    Will they follow the way of Yamaha and Marantz and offer more?

A-40AE | Pioneer

2. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I like the classic styling reminiscent of the 70s Pioneer amps.:righton:

The Beave and rockclassics like this.
  3. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

Like it

4. Helom

Helom Forum member

Looks to be class AB judging by the heatsinks. Appears to be quite similar to the Elite A20 available stateside.

groovelocked likes this.
  5. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Really hard to beat that look. Hope the guts are as good as the skin.

6. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

The only stereo integrated amp Pioneer offered in the US in recent years is the Pioneer Elite A-20, currently on sale at Amazon....

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-2-Ch...s&sprefix=pioneer+inte,electronics,198&sr=1-2

In terms of 2 channel hi-fi components, I don't think the US is considered an important market. Companies like Denon, Pioneer, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, etc. offer many more choices in other markets than the US.

PhantomStranger, bluemooze and ron325 like this.
  7. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

The A-40AE was among the 2018 recommended amps by HiFiChoice magazine.

8. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I have a pioneer pd-d6-j sacd player, and I believe they made a matching integrated. Pioneer elite used To be sweet, now it appears to be cheap stuff.

9. james

james Summon The Queen

Almost makes me more interested in the speakers. They sound great (yes through my headphones via a youtube video).

10. ron325

ron325 Forum Resident

The US often doesn’t get the highest quality components from Japan. I don’t really know why.

11. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

Loudness button :edthumbs:

12. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

If you have human ears (very likely), and occasionally listen at moderate levels, that's a very smart feature to look for.

SandAndGlass, Wngnt90 and heathen like this.
  13. Hifi Kenny

Hifi Kenny Forum Resident

I believe that it is Class D. IIRC Pioneer no longer makes Class AB amps.

14. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It's class A/B. Large heatsinks and frame transformer inside.

avanti1960 likes this.
  15. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I really like the look of this amp and truly wish Pioneer would divert some effort to the 2-channel US market. Forget the "elite" stuff, just give us a kick ass high output big ol amp(150 to 200 WPC) and give Yamaha / Marantz some competition. I would be all over it.

16. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I looked them up. Pioneer is now a brand owned by Onkyo, and plays second fiddle to the Onkyo brand, just like Denon plays second fiddle to Marantz nowadays.

The Pinhead, timind and SandAndGlass like this.
  17. Hifi Kenny

Hifi Kenny Forum Resident

18. Helom

Helom Forum member

19. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Very nice looking unit, now go a little further and use the 70's Pioneer badge.

x2zero and Pickoid like this.
  20. Benzion

Class D Amps and Direct Energy HD Amplifiers

Perhaps the heat sinks are a nice cosmetic touch to make them look in tune with retro styling so beloved by audio fans.

JackG likes this.
  21. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Doubtful, large heatsinks cost serious real money. No way they get used unless absolutely needed.

22. Benzion

I won't argue with that. All I'm saying is the link definitely proves it's a Class D amp. Incidentally, I have a class xD integrated (now boxed up), a Cambridge Azur 851A, and it does get pretty darn warm when working. No huge sinks, though, but I think the thought of all Class D running cool to the touch is a myth.

Class xD is defined by the builder as Class A for the first 10W, Class D afterwards.

mdm08033 likes this.
  23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Now you are being funny? Maybe it's a combo of class A (or A/B more likely) and D. There is certainly the transformer and heat sinks you need for this type of design. Anyway it looks like it isn't a pure class D design.

24. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

The internals of that amp are conventional and very well built for a 30 watter. Pretty much all class d amps use modules for the amp section. Don’t see any on those boards.

timind likes this.
  25. Benzion

Has anyone actually clicked on that link and read what it says there? I mean - it's directly on the Pioneer's website. Here's a quote:

"Direct Energy HD Amplifier

Today, Pioneer incorporated recent innovations in sound tuning and its analog amplifier technology to create a new type of Class D amplifier powerful enough for professional use. The result was the Direct Energy HD amplifier - A class D amplifier that is now responsible for the high efficiency sound amplification in the new SC series of home AV Receivers. "

Perhaps it is a combination with A or A/B - I would not be surprised. As I've said above, my own amp is Class A first 10W, class D thereafter. This could be something similar. But there's definitely Class D in there somewhere.

Hifi Kenny and SandAndGlass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.