'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

Same vinyl.

2. magnet

magnet Forum Resident

I have read carefully all your messages about tone poet vinyl, sound, jacket, photos quality and the MM 1.000.000$ universal tape insurance. I have bought 3 srx titles [ 2 new titles+ Free for all ] and all MM old titles, except Free for all, Herbie Hancock - Inventions & Dimensions [not in stock] and the 45's that are doubled in 33 format, but I have listened to none of them because all the collection was the present to my son, who lives in USA, for his phd degree [ same cost as a good wrist watch but much much better choice for a good living :) ]

Now, I can't afford a second MM collection for me so I' ll go for the tone poet collection [waiting for the first 4 titles ] and I guess [WISH] that the tone poet collection will be a successful project and all the MM titles will be released by tone poet, not in the near future [ @ Joe :) ]

PS, with this opportunity I would like to mention another quality effort from France [ there is stock in USA]
    Nathan Davis with Georges Arvanitas Trio – Live in Paris – The ORTF Recordings 1966/67

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  3. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Your son is extremely blessed to have a father like you. That's a tremendous gift. Cheers!

4. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

Great to hear so many positives about this collection - long may it continue. I'm super excited to get the first two titles, based on Amazon France's site, I should have them towards the end of the month and them Sam Rivers shortly after.

One other positive is that all this has sent me back to my MM 45s......I never had the whole collection, but managed to get about 15 titles before the exchange rate made it a little to expensive to get to Europe (and we never had any local distribution).

I'm excited! With this and the Don Rendell sets coming in March it's a great time to be a jazz fan.

scotti and ausgraeme like this.
  5. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I have all of his originals on vinyl and in great shape and sounding good. He is a favorite of the wife as well as myself. Seen him live around 10 times. The one on vinyl that just sounds spectacular is my original of "Troubadour" just awesome sounding as can be! New (posthumous) album "Stay Around" coming 4/26 and we can't wait! First released song "Chasing You" sounding like a fine bottle of wine, even though I'm just a beer drinker...did not mean to derail here, but we are talking JJ!!!

By the way I am seeing Amazon is getting ETC back in stock in a couple of days (2/13), so I will just order it from them and will have by next weekend, I hope. I'm withdrawing from this album and I have not even gotten yet!

Enjoying all of the awesome posts on this thread!

MisterBritt and Joe Harley like this.
  6. birchstick

birchstick Forum Resident

It's interesting to read through this post that the SRX pricing includes the new vinyl formula, licensing fees, and necessity to carry a $1M insurance policy per tape. They retail for $60, $25 more than the Tone Poets, but are also limited to 1,500 (500 in the initial run?). However, I assume the only thing that has changed since the last run of MM 33's at $35 or $40 is the vinyl formula and lower press count. Beating a dead horse here, but it's interesting that most of the factors remain unchanged, and that the new vinyl cost seems to be driving the overall increase.

Anyway, I definitely agree that the $35 price point Tone Poet series is the sweet spot of AAA releases!

7. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

I had the chance to A/B the Tone Poet and Connoisseur versions of Etc. The improvement from the TP is quite significant. It has much better clarity and detail. On the Connoisseur, there is much less distinction in the instruments, and the cymbal sounds are a soupy mess. My guess is what I'm hearing with the Connoisseur is some compression and/or digital manipulation. The TP feels so natural and is on another level completely. Quite honestly, I hesitated to double dip on this, but it's clear that the releases in the TP series are going to trump other versions. We are truly fortunate to have to these high quality analog options that allow us to involve ourselves in the music rather than just being spectators. Now back for the Corea record...:)

Cervelo, SoundDoctor, rxcory and 8 others like this.
  8. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Hi Malachi!

I just checked the MM website, and it does state a different manufacturer, TPC plastics. Below is a quote:

“We call it “ SRX Vinyl.” SRX stands for “Silent Running Xperience.” SRX is our own proprietary formula, conceived and developed by Rick Hashimoto of Record Technology and manufactured by TPC Plastics. Its noise floor is fathoms lower than any other vinyl we know of out there past or present. Records pressed with it look like normal black discs until you hold them up to the light and see that they are translucent and smoky, silvery gray in color.”

Regardless, it appears @Joe Harley has confirmed they essentially are the same thing.

MisterBritt, Tommyboy and scotti like this.
  9. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Interesting the way the prices are now getting higher on these...Amazon just increased ETC by $8.00...$34.99 now seems to be the common price...paid $27 for the Corea and was quoted the same for ETC, but still waiting on that one of course...

10. larry333

larry333 Forum Resident

Having the complete MM Blue Note 45 series, I resisted all of the MM 33 Series, however, yesterday I caved on Amazon's $26.25 price for The Tone Poet issue of the Wayne Shorter title.

11. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

Even as an owner of the MM 45 set (or maybe leave off the “even”) you’ll be impressed. Good call!

12. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Why oh why didn’t I jump on the preorder price??:(

13. birchstick

I passed on the Chick Corea title initially. I'm wondering the same thing!

bluejimbop and scotti like this.
  14. Elofan

Elofan Forum Resident

Where i can buy Nathan Davis record?

15. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Not sure how you feel about this, but the Corea might be a nice opportunity to buy local and support your local store. I originally bought the etc on amazon because I’m cheap obviously, but now that the Corea is basically at retail price on amazon, I figured I might as well support my local and buy it there (my amazon purchases get taxed anyways so it’s all the same).

I know the convenience and anonymity plus easy returns makes amazon a wonderful thing, but let’s not forget about supporting our local business owners if possible!

puelche, Cervelo, SoundDoctor and 6 others like this.
  16. birchstick

You read my mind. It's on my to-do list today haha. I really hate buying from Amazon due to the amount of unnecessary packaging / landfill items they use. But then again, collecting records as not a planet-friendly hobby.

SoundDoctor and recstar24 like this.
  17. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

If only they could eliminate the hairline problem with their newly pressed records, they’d be cooking with butter.

SoundDoctor and FashionBoy like this.
  18. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Thanks for saying this! I started my career in Indie/Local retail and spent 13 years there learning much before I got recruited else where. (My first job when I was around 15, was working at the local record store part time and getting paid in nothing but promos, I thought I was in heaven at the time) I know the ease of returns with Amazon and respect where anyone buys their music, because at the end of the day having the music we love is what matters most! And not all of us have a good local store close by we can go to and hang out in. I am fortunate that I do...

Stereo warming up and ready to take "Now He Sings" for another wonderful spin, shortly!

19. indiana45s

indiana45s Forum Resident

Acousticsounds has it in stock. Dustygroove had it but it is now out of stock.

magnet likes this.
  20. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

That Nathan Davis triple LP is exceptionally well done. Deep bow to the Sam label.

Madlove, djost, SoundDoctor and 4 others like this.
  21. magnet

magnet Forum Resident

As indiana45s said, I have already bought the title from Acousticsounds, it was the best price, unfortunately I' ll have it in Greece in the Summer but I'll have feedback from my son in US :). I lost the opportunity to buy it from Sam records.fr but my copy will be one from the first 1500, now Acousticsounds accept pre orders for the second edition of 1000 copies which will be the last one.

Don't hesitate, if you are really interested in.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  22. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

No, it's listed but shows backordered. Sam Records says they are doing a new 2019 batch.

23. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Not my local shop. They overcharge for new reissues like this, have an unreasonable return policy for defectives and they put all their best used records on eBay. I prefer to support Acoustic Sounds. They have always given me the red carpet treatment.

rxcory and jlrchrds like this.
  24. indiana45s

indiana45s Forum Resident

I stand corrected. I am a bit surprised how quickly this sold out everywhere. I love Sam Records. The Ronnell Bright Trio is a great record!

djost likes this.
  25. Mssisem

Mssisem Forum Resident

Got both of mine. They both were sealed and sound fantastic. I wish all reissue series were done this way. I feel like the 30 to $40 mark is where it’s at with AAA issues. I love all the music matters releases but I also need to pay my mortgage