Let's talk about Joe Walsh's music career and albums....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wayneklein, Jul 21, 2017.

1. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

Which reminds me, Walsh produced Fogelberg's Souvenirs LP, which included the original "Part Of The Plan." Played guitar on almost all the songs too, but I think he played bass on one of them.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  2. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Without a doubt.

Matthew Tate and fr in sc like this.
  3. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I like it! great harmonies, theres another measles track that's on the ohio express lp

4. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Watched it on TV back in the day, Joe was good on the show. However, I loved Townsend's solo version of No Face No Name No Number on a 12 string acoustic. Pete does that kind of thing very well :edthumbs:

CybrKhatru and slipkid like this.
  5. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Regarding the end of Joe's "At the Station", this is what I hear:

- The end of "Falling Down" on So What has the words "Falling Down" but the instrumentation has no similarity to the end of "At the Station".

-The end of "Falling" from Vitale's Roller Coaster Weekend is exactly the same (words and music) as the end of "At the Station".

6. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Bobby Sepulveda played bass for the Measles.

A comment from his son on YouTube regarding this video:
    Jimmy Sepulveda 3 years ago
    This is the first time I've ever heard this. Bobby Sepulveda is my father and I remember the the band from growing up. My grandfather used to show me video of when my mom was pregnant with me. Joe Walsh would rub her belly and put his ear against her belly when my parents lived in a trailer.

My dad went to Vietnam and my mom had another kid by someone else and abandoned both of us at a very young age. My brother got adopted and luckily my grandparents took care of me until my dad came back from Vietnam. I first met Joe Walsh on his Life's Been Good So Far tour. There was a private party for Joe. My dad drove his Harley Davidson motorcycle and I drove my dad's 1957 Chevy to the party. Joe and my dad took off on the bikes for a while. I got to go to his concert. That's something I Will take to my grave. One day I hope to see my father and Joe get back in touch.

7. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

You're right, I could've been a little more specific what I meant.
    I remember the first time I heard "At The Station" I thought "wtf did he do that for, 'Falling Down' is only 3 years old, why dredge that up again?" But after all, it occurs to me now, "She Loves You" was less than four years old when Paul 'quoted' it in "All You Need Is Love."
    (This being a Steve Hoffman Music Corner thread, I just gots to get a Beatles reference in any chance I can, right?) ;)

Matthew Tate, Comet01 and Slim Zooms like this.
  8. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

I used to think those two were so great, until I read Don Felder's autobio. Then I couldn't help but wonder why they were so greedy and why did they insist on Eagles concerts being like watching Milli Vanilli. To quote The Spinners, it's a shame.

Slim Zooms likes this.
  9. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Don't Felder's contributions to Eagles' music was huge. I read his book too, I really felt for the guy & the way he was treated. He & Joe were a great partnership.

10. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

By missing out on Thirds you didn't miss much; "Walk Away" and "Midnight Man" are the only decent tracks on the album IMHO, and they're always featured on the various compilations of the JG. To me, that album was like CCR's Mardi Gras---the two other guys in the band wanted fat royalty checks too so they cut up the song credits three ways. Only problem was, they couldn't write, except when they jammed with Joe (the first side of Rides Again).

slipkid, Folknik and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Listened to Songs For A Dying Planet (1992) for the first time yesterday. The song "Decades" was pretty ambitious for Joe and it has some good lines. A fun little history trip.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

This always reminds me of the Springfield's "Hung Upside Down."

13. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

A great book it is; I got a kick out of his tale of the nine-year-old neighborhood kid in the driveway showing a new chord he'd just learned to play...a kid named Tommy Petty.

14. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

When I lived in Japan in the mid-eighties I remember one very boozy night in a bar spent with some friends and three sailors we met that night from the (West) German Navy, talking about all kinds of stuff, and "Rocky Mountain Way" came on over the sound system. One of the sailors started pointing at the speakers hanging in the corners and said (while spitting out a little beer) "Da! Joe Walsh! Ein echter Amerikaner, wie John Wayne!" I hardly knew any German at all, but I instantly knew what he meant, and he was right.

The weird part was, looking at and listening to those guys made me feel like I was in the bar scene in Das Boot...

15. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Some of his contributions were huge, most notably the intro to "Hotel California." He was a very good guitarist that rounded out the sound nicely between 1975-1980.

To be fair, it was from his perspective. There is definitely another side to the story.

I am not convinced they had a great partnership (I presume you mean musical partnership?). They played very well off each other, but Joe would have meshed well with any competent lead guitarist. Joe was a great fit for The Eagles. He brought in his virtuoso skills as a guitarist, brought in his songwriting, added a jolt to their sound, and his sound meshed well with the band's musical direction. While on paper maybe it seemed like an odd union, but Joe was a fantastic addition to the band (Irving may have planted the seed, but Glenn had the foresight to see that it would work).

fr in sc, GoodKitty, wwright and 3 others like this.
  16. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

I take your point about Felder's book, it may be from his perspective, but I didn't like the way Frey in particular came across in the History of Eagles documentary especially when talking about Don & to some extent Bernie also.

I think Don Felder is an excellent guitarist & I like the interplay/duelling between him & Joe Walsh. They certainly turbo- charged the band. Hotel California & Life In The Fast Lane hit the spot for me in particular. I agree Joe could could play with any guitarist & is a master of his art - I'm a big fan.

fr in sc and slipkid like this.
  17. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

It's a great album. For years I thought Joe only played on As The Raven Flies. not sure why though. Yer right though he is all over that album. Thx for the reminder, I am pulling that now to give it a spin on one of my days off coming up. Been many years since I listened to it.

18. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I guess it was a vinyl era decision thing. Most albums back then were only like 35 minutes or so I think. Joe's full set, at least from the TV show is only about an hour. It deserves a full CD release.

Thinking more about it, I don't even know how ez it is to find on CD period. The version that I have is actually a twofer, stuck on the end of a CD with Smoker, very bare bones MCA release. Think it was the first version to come out. Not sure if it ever got released any other way???????

19. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

That story is sooooo cool on sooooooooo many levels.

How many people can say this:

- His Dad played bass in a band with Joe Walsh

- My grandfather used to show me video of when my mom was pregnant with me. Joe Walsh would rub her belly and put his ear against her belly...

- I first met Joe Walsh on his Life's Been Good So Far tour. There was a private party for Joe. My dad drove his Harley Davidson motorcycle and I drove my dad's 1957 Chevy to the party. Joe and my dad took off on the bikes for a while.

Then the incredible life story stuff about his Dad going off to Vietnam, his Mom then having his brother by another man, his Mom then abandoning both kids, his brother being adopted, and him being raised by his grandparents until his Dad (luckily) even lived through the horrors of Vietnam to then return home and raise him!! Holy crap.

20. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah, I agree. A very weak album. Still it's got Joe on it!

21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I disagree about Thirds. It’s far better than Mardi Gras, and there’s quite a bit to enjoy on the album. It’s All The Same and Again are worthy tracks. The album is a good display of the members’ multi instrumental prowess. And, at least Joe didn’t pull a Fogerty by sabotaging things by only playing rhythm guitar.

GoodKitty, yesstiles and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Nah, LP's were mostly 38-42 minutes back then, so they had room. Heck, all of Genesis' 1970's LP's were 50 minutes!

Sick Mind was released again soon after that twofer by itself in an even more barebones fashion by MCA. I have a different Japan cd version from the early 90's with nice booklet and better sound too.

slipkid and fr in sc like this.
  23. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

agree, live my life again is pretty good too, and white man/black man is corny but joe plays some fiery geetar. its definitely more country rockfish sounding but I dig it

pool_of_tears likes this.
  24. pool_of_tears

Well said.

25. pool_of_tears

I’m guessing the full concert ran between 75-90 minutes. So, this album could definitely be expanded. Apart from the aforementioned Welcome To The Club, Mother Says, Get Back and Gimme Some Loving, there’s also Funk #49. And, I’m thinking Joe probably did a few more acoustic numbers, also.

The thing that gets me is the artwork error on the old plaid back cd: Help Me Make It Through The Night? The Sammi Smith time? I can just hear Joe singing “take the ribbon from your hair....”.

slipkid, CybrKhatru and Slim Zooms like this.