New Line Magnetic 508ia Integrated Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GoldprintAudio, May 20, 2016.

1. freesole

freesole Forum Resident

Luc, I agree, the 300B in my experience was the tube where I noticed the least difference. Being objective about it, I would say that the differences that I heard with the EML 300B XLS in place were subtle and marginal at best in the 805ia configuration. The EML 300B XLS is a great tube by all accounts so I don't doubt that it would make a world of a difference in another amp but in the 805ia, the 300B's are not as influential.

taokf likes this.
  2. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident

My experience is 805 is 3 times more important than 300B in LM508.

You do not need to put expensive 300B here.

I would rather recommend you to try Acme 805.

taokf likes this.
  3. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Whats the approx lifetime of the different tubes in the LM 508?

4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The amp doesn't matter. Each tube model differs. Some 6SN7s can last 10 000 hours. Some 300Bs like the EML 300B-XLS can last over 30 000 hours.

5. taokf

taokf Active Member

Thank you all for your response.

For the 300B is actually what I understood.

My 300B work well but there is a defect, in places, the plate is no longer black, we see the silver color spots.

I think take psvane 300B hifi series
    For $ 130.

Acme 805 interests me, but it's really too expensive for me.
    I was also told that the cossor was just another version of "remixed" and sold more expensive.

For the 805 power tubes I found the psvane was $ 90 but I still think a little more for shuguang 805 AT or psvane 805A-T (with larger lenses) for about $ 190.
    I have the impression that they are the same tubes ..... Do you have an opinion on these tubes?

I am also interested in information on the performance of the blue fuse of synergistic research.
    Is it easy to change it?

Thank you
    Luc

6. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

What about the mute function. Will it save tube life like a standby switch or still running full power muted?

7. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Meet The Bastard. My new hot friend.

Rayzilla88, adamaley and taokf like this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

Mute only disables the audio output. It doesn't stop the tubes from burning. There's no Standby switch or anything similar on this amp.

What I found particular is how LM states you should wait 1/2h before turning it back on.

9. taokf

taokf Active Member

Hi everybody,

I finally ordered 1 pair of 300B psvane hifi series and 1 pair of 805A-T shuguang .... Got with bargain a .. $ 288 shipping included! Excellent price!

I am waiting for the reception within 5/7 days to judge.

For those who have changed the fuse .... What exactly is changing?

10. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Where did you place the order?

taokf likes this.
  11. taokf

taokf Active Member

Dianos, I placed the order with JOE chen liang, the contact of psvaneaudio.com website.

it also provides the psvane 805A-T T-Collection (which is not on the site) at an excellent price.

I do not go through the site but directly by mail:
    [email protected]

Thank you to tell him that you come from me (luc.c, from France) he knows me now.

Maybe you want to wait for the reception of my hits, I'll tell you if everything is OK.

See you soon
    Luc

12. freesole

freesole Forum Resident

Replaced the stock fuse with the synergistic research Blue fuse today. Have it playing right now in the background so no critical listening yet but looking forward to sitting down on the couch tonight and tuning out to some good music and whiskey.

taokf likes this.
  13. taokf

taokf Active Member

Very interested in the results with the fuse because it is expensive
    But certainly a beautiful evening in perspective

14. adamaley

adamaley Forum Resident

Interested in your impressions regarding the fuse.

freesole likes this.
  15. freesole

freesole Forum Resident

I'll write up something tonight. The fuses are directional apparently but would I hear a major difference if they were installed the wrong way? It sounded great last night but I'll swap it around today to see if the other direction is better (ie. more detailed as per the instruction manual)

adamaley likes this.
  16. freesole

freesole Forum Resident

So, I will try my best to describe what I am hearing but I will admit that it is a bit tough because I swapped my PS Audio Directstream Junior DAC/Streamer with a brand new Lumin T2 (with less than 40 hours) about a day or so before I got the SR Blue fuse. With the T2 still breaking in, I wouldn't doubt that the sound is changing a bit over the initial first few days.
    • There is more precision and focus - This is especially evident with songs like Duende. There is a slight improvement there.
    • Dynamics - Going to use the Duende song as a reference here again. The sound of the drums come out of no where and is right in your face. Maybe it's the lowered noise floor and therefore "blacker background" but there is an improved sense of dynamics and snap here.
    Again, it's hard to say if this improvement is caused by the fuse or the Lumin that is still in the process of breaking in but I think there is an improvement here since I put the fuse in. Is it a big difference? Too hard for me to say with the other changes that I have made.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    adamaley likes this.
  17. thomaskong

I also received Isoacoustics Orea Bordeaux today.

Your assessment is spot on. The difference is subtle but with slightly better focus.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    freesole likes this.
  18. thomaskong

The soundstage also got more transparent.

Musicdirect offers 30 day's return

You shall try yourself to find out.

19. adamaley

adamaley Forum Resident

@Strat-Mangler any feedback on the ECC33 tubes? I'm interested in knowing your thoughts. I just purchased a pair of Sylvania Bad Boys and should have them this weekend.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  20. Strat-Mangler

Honestly, you'll need to post a picture to make sure they're Bad Boys because most advertised as such aren't.

IMHO, the Mullard ECC33 tubes are the best-sounding along with the Tung-Sol 6SN7GT with round plates. They sound nearly identical and cost about the same. How do I know? Curiosity got the best of me and I bought a pair. It doesn't really matter which ones I sell but I currently have the Mullard ECC33 in the Classifieds as I need to sell one of my 2 pairs.

How do they sound? Deep with liquid mids and an open yet very pleasantly slightly rolled top-end. Let me know if you're interested in the pair I've got listed. They even test above NOS!

21. adamaley

adamaley Forum Resident

Hi. I already have the TS BGRP, I'm assuming that's what you are referring to. I have been enjoying it in my system for about a year now. I use the ECC35 6SL7 with it. It is a very high gain tube though, with excellent detail, but borders on unforgiving, IMO. Paired with the Elrog 300Bs, it was perfect. I am now using KR 300B RKs, and they do some things better than the Elrogs. I am looking to maximize this new complement of tubes, and I hope the Sylvanias will be the ticket.

[​IMG]

These are the tubes I purchased. Date code signifies 1952 production. Hopefully, they are the real deal.

22. Strat-Mangler

They are. Looks like you bought them from TAS Audio. Alan is a good guy.

They emphasize the high-end quite a bit and aren't as open as the Tung-Sols but are a great performer. Not as warm.

I'm surprised you find the Mullard ECC35 unforgiving with tons of detail. In contrast to the stock tube, it's a lot warmer and inviting. If you still find it to be this way, you can go for an RCA 5691 which is even warmer, lower gain, but will sacrifice some detail. Ken-Rad also makes a great 6SL7 with coated glass. You'll likely get more bass, lower gain, a warmer tone, but again sacrifice some detail.

Pick your poison. :D

23. adamaley

adamaley Forum Resident

I find the TS BGRP to be quite forward/high gain, and somewhat unforgiving. Quite the opposite for the ECC35. We'll see how things pan out with the Bay Boys and the KR 300Bs.

I'll keep the Ken-Rads in mind. I've heard it's difficult to find a non-microphonic pair, so didn't want to take the gamble. I may if I get desperate.

Yes, I did purchase them from TAS Audio (Alan)

24. Strat-Mangler

What does the BG in BGRP stand for? Please note that isn't a standardized and accepted abbreviation for them so that's why I'm asking. :D

Can you post a pic of those to make sure you got the real deal (from the front and top)?

The reason I thought you were talking about the ECC35 is because this was the order of your sentences ; "I use the ECC35 6SL7 with it. It is a very high gain tube though, with excellent detail, but borders on unforgiving, IMO." Thanks for clearing that up. Makes more sense to me now. :)

What setting do you use on your 508IA for the NFB switch?

Quiet Ken-Rads aren't tough to find. Never heard that at all. TAS Audio has pairs at roughly $200. Not too bad, IMHO.

25. adamaley

adamaley Forum Resident

It in my sentence was referring to the TungSol Black Glass Round Plates. To be clear, this is an exercise in fine tuning. I have been pretty settled with tubes. I am just loving what the KR 300Bs bring to the table. They are significantly less warm than the Elrogs, as a result, I'm looking for a more copacetic match. I also have new set of interconnects incoming that are more revealing than my current ones, so ...... the dance goes on.

I may have misread online regarding the Ken-Rads. I may give them a shot down the road.

Strat-Mangler likes this.