The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Barolojoe

Barolojoe Forum Resident

2. Another disc from the 20 CD Box JAZZ from America ON disques vogue (Sony Music/Legacy)

[​IMG]
    Erroll Garner Trio Vol. 1 - Erroll Garner Trio (Vogue/Deuces) 10"
    +
    [​IMG]
    Erroll Garner Trio Vol. 2 - Erroll Garner Trio (Vogue/Roost) 10"
    +
    Both sides of an Errol Garner (solo piano) single issued on Jazz-Disques in 1948

10" albums are dated 1949 and 1950. Sound quality throughout is not the best, but this CD compilation is still a pleasant enough listen.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Moebius, Berthold, Cactus Bob and 3 others like this.
  3. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Impulse! Nippon Columbia Japan YP 8573AI) 1976 .... recorded September 26th, 1962 .... John Coltrane (ts, ss) + Duke Ellington (p) + Jimmy Garrison/Aaron Bell (b) + Elvin Jones/Sammy Woodyard (dr) .... for quite some time a recording which didn`t move me a lot but in recent year this platter is slowly crawling into my heart - mellowness of age (?) ....

4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Can't see the image.

5. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Jimmy McGriff - Soul Sugar

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

She's a fantastic young pianist who has a few other albums out, but this one, her latest, is her best. Both innovative and classic. If you like piano based jazz , definitely check this one out.

[​IMG]

7. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Mercury Nippon Columbia SFX-10547(M)) 1977 .... recorded February 23rd - 25th, 1955 @ New York .... Clifford Brown (tp) + Harold Land (tp) + Richie Powell (p) + George Morrow (b) + Max Roach (dr) .... outstanding session standing proof for both the unparalleled talents of Clifford Brown and sheer tenorsax sound of Harold Land .... as good as it gets ....

Berthold, cds23, vanhooserd and 5 others like this.
  8. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Hampton Hawes For Real!

[​IMG]

Berthold, MagicAlex, cds23 and 5 others like this.
  9. 2scoops

2scoops Forum Resident

It's there for me, as was the last one you couldn't see, if that's any help

frightwigwam, Jackie P and Morbius like this.
  10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

It's not, but never mind. This happens quite often, and I'm not the only one who sometimes can't see the images.

11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Just listened to the CD-layer of:

[​IMG]

MagicAlex, cds23, vanhooserd and 9 others like this.
  12. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

13. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

thereof

[​IMG]

(CD Blue Note Mosaic Records MD4-178) 1998 .... recorded July 30th, 1964 @ Van Gelder Studio, Englewood CLiffs .... Blue Mitchell (tp) + Junior Cook (ts) + Chick Corea (p) + Gene Taylor (b) + Al Foster (dr) .... beautiful toned Blue Mitchell and his near perfect foil aha hard hitting Junior Cook dominate the session inside out .... btw great drumming by Al Foster ....

Berthold, MagicAlex, cds23 and 7 others like this.
  14. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Mellow Sunday vibes with Walt and Richard in mesmerizing duets both recrded February 9, 1977 at the same session. Beautifully transparent sound with lots of ambient air in which the instruments exist and two kindred spirits in communion.

Something odd to note though. The SPARS code for these two recordings (from the same session in 1977) show the first as an analog recording while the second shows a digital recording. I find it hard to believe that part of the session was recorded to analog tape and the other to digital tape, especially considering that the first digital recording in the US (non-Classical) did not take place until Nov 28, 1977. Ironically an Archie Shepp date. So my vote goes to these both being analog recordings/sources.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. AxiomAcoustics

Damn, I need to hnt a copy of this. I expected this to fetch largeish money but checking Discogs this OP verson ranged from a low of $1 :confused: to a high of $50. Completely reasonable. Cheaper than what you can get the "Complete" CD set for these days.

cds23 and frightwigwam like this.
  16. AxiomAcoustics

With all the Jackie reissues of late this has sadly been neglected. There is a 2016 Lp by Elemental that is legit (Zev from Resonance) with all rights paid, although I'm sure it's a digital cut. May be better than the Conn and worth checking out?

17. AxiomAcoustics

Couldn't read this well so searched the image and come to find out Chad Taylor is on drums. That's a deal maker for me always.

sberger likes this.
  18. AxiomAcoustics

I have yet to receive mine for some unforgetful reason. However, if the CD layer sounds even as good as the Booteg Volume 5 I can't wait to hear the SACD layer. That Boot volume engrossed me for days and I've returned to it as frequeltly as or more than the others, which I never expected to be the case. More of that sort of thing please.

fatwad666 and Lonson like this.
  19. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

Duke Ellington & His Orchestra ~ Newport 1958
    Columbia, 1958

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I don't think you'll be disappointed in this edition.

21. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I don't know if it's "mellowness of age" but glad you are beginning to appreciate this one. I always liked this one but I've grown to love it. I really dig the contrasts between the drumming of Woodyard and Jones and how they influence the performances, and I really have grown to appreciate fully the energy that Ellington and Coltrane bring to playing together.

22. Another disc from the 20 CD Box JAZZ from America ON disques vogue (Sony Music/Legacy)

[​IMG]

Kings Of Boogie Woogie (Vogue) CD

Tracks 1-8 > Albert Ammons / Meade Lux Lewis / Blind John Davis (Blue Note/Vogue) 10"
    +
    Tracks 9 -10 > Albert Ammons (Blue Note) 7" 1939

Tracks 11-15 > Meade Lux Lewis (Blue Note) 7" 1940-1944

Tracks 16-17 > Blind John Davis (Vogue) 7" 1952

Tracks 18-21 > Blind John Davis (Vogue) EP 1952

Boogie woogie sessions galore!

23. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Your right. Next time I'll be better about writing out the artist/title. Glad you looked into it. He shines on this.

24. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Just picked up Pepper Adams Plays The Compositions of Charlie Mingus, wowzers, this is fantastic!

[​IMG]

Berthold, cds23, fingerpoppin and 5 others like this.
  25. AxiomAcoustics

Don Cherry: Live At Cafe Montmartre 1966 Volume 2

Don Cherry: Trumpet
    Gato Barbieri: Tenor Sax
    Karl Berger: Vibraphone
    Bo Stief: Bass
    Aldo Romano: Drums

Recorded March 31, 1966 at the Jazzhus Montnartre in Copenhagen (Denmarks Village Vanguard) and volume 2 of a 3 volume release by ESP Disk which was never issued on vinyl and only one other time by a bootleg label. These ESP's are the ones to get and generally sound very good, an honest representation of the sound and room as the gig went down. Only oddity of this particular volume is that Cherry's wonderful "Elephantasy" is incomplete, presumably due to a reel change or a lost reel and when the music returns, with the closin 23' "Complete Communion" the sounds changes dramatically, eliciting what sonds to be a phase or polarity issue, possibly with the deck or mixer/mics. Not to worry though, you adjust and it's worth hearing these tunes (sort of the "Complete Communion" tour, the Blue Note album that had just been recorded 3 months earlier) in a live small club setting.

Cherry announces each tune, the crowd is both engaged and disrespectful at times, and the band just cooks. Funny to say but the most adventurous player here is the still-fire breathing Barbieri, who recorded as a leader for ESP as well. Always a joy to hear Berger's Vibes as well and they are represented prominently here. A great document of mid-60's Anant-Bop. Collect all three volumes!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]