Yes another steely dan question please

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thetman, Feb 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thetman

thetman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Okay searched through all the threads and still a bit confused since many of the conversations tend to veer off track. simply, which compilation is recommended on cd format.
    Not just content but Audio quality of course is important like it is for all of us. thanks in advance:
    1: decade of
    2: citizen
    3. greatest hits
    4. very best of
    5. The definitive collection

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    alexpop likes this.
  2. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

"Citizen" is no-noised. It's not suffocating like Rupert Holmes' "Partners in Crime" but it's there. "Decade" sounds fabulous to these ears.

Ed

Chazzbo13 likes this.
  3. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

I’ll vote for Decade on CD, also.

Chazzbo13, Pouchkine and George P like this.
  4. serendipitydawg

serendipitydawg Dag nabbit!

All of them. Oh, and pedantically speaking Citizen isn't a compilation unless virtually everything they released on the first go round is a "compilation".

gregorya and SteelyNJ like this.
  5. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

For sound quality, the best are probably...

1. The mid-'80s A Decade of Steely Dan CD mastered by Bob Ludwig and Roger Nichols

2. The 2006 Definitive Collection CD, mastered by Joseph Palmaccio

(There’s a later Decade reissue that doesn’t sound as good.)

SteelyNJ and Galactus2 like this.
  6. George P

George P Notable Member

This:

Plan9 likes this.
  7. thetman

I assume the version of "a decade of" that is still avaialble on Amazon is not the preferred version then, says 1989. Yes I guess the citizen is not a compilation, but included it since it still available for a decent price and seems to have everything needed as a so called compilation.

I guess I forgot to add the "definitive collection" it seems. okay another for the list
    [​IMG]

MRamble likes this.
  8. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

9. Monosterio

10. thetman

This a vinyl review? Holds true for the cd version too I assume

11. thetman

ended up ordering "A decade of" and "greatest hits".
    I was going to get the "the very best of" since it had the most tracks- but was unsure of the audio quality and couldn't find any real reviews not remastering.

12. Monosterio

Let us know how you like them. I just looked up the Greatest Hits CD here and there seems to be some disagreement over how good it sounds.

Btw, Very Best has the exact same track list as Showbiz Kids, so I would assume the mastering is the same as well.

13. thetman

how was the mastering on showbiz kids- was it considered good?

14. Monosterio

It’s the same mastering as the 1998-99 remasters—some here hate them, others think they’re just fine. I’m in the latter camp, though I do think the original CDs sound better—better EQ, plus possible (though limited) NR on the remasters.

15. thetman

good to know thanks. -they are all pretty cheap. maybe pick them all up and compare. keep the best for the dedicated two channel setup and play the rest in the home gym or garage when I am working on stuff. A dedicated frenzy this hobby is.....

16. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

The Canadian Greatest Hits CD has a certain something later re-masters don't have (not just "Here At The Western World"). Seems like the GH CD was made from the original 1978 compilation dub reels? Somehow they have escaped the compression, EQ and worse that has been applied to the masters starting around 1985.

17. thetman

I received " a decade of" but I think its a reissue- since the cover is red not gray. the back cover is gray though. Bought from Amazon which showed the gray cover pictured. The last date shown on the back says 1995. says compiled and remastered by gary katz on the disc.

18. Monosterio

Remastered by Gary Katz? Are you sure it doesn’t say it’s produced by him?

But yeah, if it doesn’t say it’s mastered by Ludwig and Nichols, that’s probably not the original. It’s important that you ask the seller before buying to ensure you get the right one.

otter likes this.
  19. Monosterio

I just looked it up: Apparently the 1995 with the red cover is the Glenn Meadows remaster.

20. thetman

is that considered an ok version? I didn't pay that much for it so I'll probably keep it anyways.

funny the inner sleeve says produced by gary katz and remasterd by bob ludwig and roger nichols. manufactured in canada

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  21. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

The later Glenn Meadows remaster is generally not as well-received as the Ludwig/Nichols but I have both and could happily listen to either. I also recall that there was a slightly audible "crackle" in one channel on one of the tracks (I can't remember which) on the Ludwig/Nichols, I think.

22. Monosterio

I don’t think there are any bad Steely Dan masterings, just better and worse ones. (Which is why I hung on to my 1998-99 remasters rather than replacing them with the original CDs.)

john lennonist and MikeManaic61 like this.
  23. thetman

again the inner sleeve says produced by gary katz and remasterd by bob ludwig and roger nichols. no mention of glenn meadows. But the disc itself says remastered by gary katz. will have to some digging I guess.

24. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

ARK and ODShowtime like this.
  25. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Just bought this one for FM, and a couple of songs from Goucho, since I don't really care for the full album. Also includes Cousin Dupree.

ARK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.