Iron Maiden ‘Piece of Mind’ Best digital recommendation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hutchguv, Feb 10, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hutchguv

hutchguv Rock/Metal/Prog/Pop Thread Starter

Just listening to this classic reminded me of something I wanted to ramble on about..

I have four masterings of this album

Original EMI UK CD
    1998 Remaster
    2015 HD tracks mastering
    Original US LP rip (pb###l)

Of these, only two would I consider enjoyable. The original UK CD and US LP rip.

The US LP rip has a nice overall eq, especially the bottom end, but seems slightly attenuated in the highs. Perhaps ‘slightly veiled’ describes what I’m hearing. Of course, these observations only apply to this particular transfer, but this chap’s rips are considered to be some of the best out there.

The original UK CD has much more clarity. Guitars, vocals and cymbals are fantastic, but it could, perhaps, use a touch more low end. Some might describe it as thin sounding, but over the years, as my set up improved, so did my opinion of it.

Obviously this is pure speculation, but perhaps the original CD is just a flat transfer and the LP was actually ‘mastered’, hence the improved low end.

Even though the LP rip has a really nice sound I prefer the original CD.

I’ve converted my CD collection* to lossless with dBpoweramp secure ripping so variance in CD pressings is negated in this instance

Anyway, whilst assembling a Maiden playlist, it occurred to me that I hadn’t compared the various ‘Piece Of Mind’ tracks that appear on compilations, presuming them to be over compressed and have poor eq choices.

Well I was completely wrong......

The ‘Best of the Beast’ compilation has, what I consider to be, the finest sounding versions of ‘Where Eagles Dare’ and ‘The Trooper’.

Wow, these tracks just sound incredible. They have the wonderful low end of the US LP and the clarity of the original CD. If only the complete album could be mastered this way, I would be a very happy boy.

If anyone out there wants the best digital version of these two tracks, I’d thoroughly recommended finding the double CD version of ‘Best of the Beast’

I do understand and accept, however, that some feel certain LP masterings will sound as good, if not better than my recommendations. I do not own a turntable, nor do I have any intention of buying one. Having severe OCD issues, that whole multiple pressings/stampers stuff is a rabbit hole I would quickly fall into.

I just thought I’d give a heads up for any Maiden fans out there that may have made the same mistake I did

*I just looked, over 11k albums

(Although, as an example, I seem to have eight versions of ‘Black Sabbath - Sabotage’ I wonder how many different albums I actually have)

2. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I only have one copy, and that is the original U.S. Capitol CD. I think it sounds good, but as you said about your EMI disc it is a little lacking in the low end.

3. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

original EMI or Capitol and then do a little Bass boast and reburn to Cdr :)

4. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Make a matrix mix of your UK CD/US vinyl rip!

5. Wally Swift

I have the UK Raw Power of NOB & POM. The bass sounds quite good but it is a bit loud. But they are not terrible, I decided to keep them both. I have the original UK CD and the US vinyl also. But I love this band so....

6. hutchguv

Any recommendations on software for doing this?

I did experiment years ago with this type of ‘re eqing’ (not sure of the word there), but it seemed to not only affect the eq, but did something weird with the sound.

Could have been a combination of poor software and user incompetence though.

I’ve always been put off trying again because of this bad experience.

I did try playing some files back via iTunes with the eq function enabled. The eq adjustment was nice, but the sound seem to suffer again.

Apropos of this, I’d just like to say iTunes seems to have a fairly bad reputation for playback quality. Never quite understood this, as if you have the settings right, it performs ‘bit perfect’ playback of lossless files.

And I know some may say this is hogwash, but there is a way to prove ‘bit perfect’ playback is happening. All you need is a wav rip of a DTS cd. Plug the digital feed into any HT amp that decodes DTS, play the DTS wav file and if the output is ‘bit perfect’ the HT amp will decode the DTS stream. Couldn’t verify this is my living room as I only have a stereo set up, but tried it upstairs on my HT amp and it worked perfectly.

I apologise if this isn’t that clear. I know what I want to say, but sometimes I have a little trouble saying it.

7. hutchguv

Is this the 1998 mastering?

I agree, it’s not terrible sounding, but it is rather compressed.

I only have 98 remasters up to ‘Live After Death’ and POM is probably the best out of these six.

I’ll try and get across how I feel the 98 sounds, forgive me if it isn’t that clear.

A little ‘bloated’ in the bass? The low bass is probably ok, but the mid-bass to lower mids seems over done. The rest of the eq seems fine though. It’s just too compressed.

The 2015 seems fairly similar, but I think I’ve only listened to it once or twice since getting it.

The 2015 HD remasters were a real missed opportunity if you ask me. But seeing as the band seem to love the sound Kevin Shirley produces, its probably no wonder they sound the way they do.

Perhaps I shouldn’t start on about how I feel about Kevin Shirley.

The new Maiden albums are all really good, it’s just a shame they sound so poor. Obviously this is just my viewpoint and I’ve read a few things (elsewhere, not here) online that praise this sound. But all KS productions sound, if not the same, very similar to me. I would love to listen to the Black Counrty Communion albums more, but they just sound awful. I love The Black Crowes ‘By Your Side’, but again it just sounds bad. I could go on

Anyway, I digress. I’ll shut up now

serj likes this.
  8. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I love my original CDN CD, original CDN vinyl, and original UK vinyl.

GyroSE likes this.
  9. Wally Swift

As far as I know it's the 1998 remaster by Simon Heyworth. Your description is a good one of what I hear.

10. Wally Swift

How different are the masterings of CDN vinyl and UK vinyl? I still want to get the UK vinyl of the first 4. I have US copies of Killers>POM and CDN of the debut.

11. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I was actually surprised how close the Canadian LP was to the UK. I think the UK has more bass, but the highs are better treated on the Canadian LP.

The UK can be pretty finicky with IGD at the end of both sides, clarity seems to break up a tad. I don’t experience that with the Canadian.

Wally Swift likes this.
  12. Maidenpriest

Audacity

13. hutchguv

Thanks, I’ll give it a go at some point.

Well, I hope you’re referring to which software I need, and not that I’m being rude

14. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

Re Kevin Shirley. I totally agree. It's all drums drums drums smacking your head every second.

hutchguv likes this.
  15. Maidenpriest

hutchguv likes this.
  16. hutchguv

Thank you, that’s really rather helpful and it’s much appreciated.

Have you tried tweaking the eq on ‘Piece of Mind’?

And if you did, what eq did you choose?

Hold on a minute....
    I feel I must apologise here
    It seems I’m becoming rather greedy.

You very kindly offer a link to software, which may improve my listening experience, and my first response is to ask for more...

What a rude chap I am

17. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The 1998 remasters are bad, really bad. I had the CDs and returned to the originals. Not flawless, but listenable.

PeterGriffin likes this.
  18. hutchguv

It’s such a shame.

The KS produced Maiden albums contain some really fantastic stuff, it’s just not an enjoyable experience listening to them.

If only they shared a similar sonic signature to the ‘81-‘85 albums, I would certainly play them more often.

I know some would say that, perhaps, I’m not that much of a fan if I let the production/mastering stop me enjoying the music. I can respect that opinion, it is all about the music I suppose, but isn’t it so much better when great songs sound great?

Thoughtships likes this.
  19. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

I was just listening to this album! One of my all-time fave albums and bands. Saw them live in 1983 in Houston on this tour. Great show that I’ll never forget.

I have had a number of different original CD pressings of POM and the original UK EMI is my preference. All of them are definitely bass-light.

It’s too bad the full album wasn’t mastered at the same time as the two B-sides in the First Ten Years box. Those sound great (“I’ve Got the Fire” and “Cross-Eyed Mary”). I tacked them on as tracks 10 and 11 with their respective artwork when I ripped my CD’s to lossless.

The hi res was a sadly missed opportunity and I don’t care for my 1998’s.

Still have the LP picture disc and “Flight of Icarus” ‘83 picture disc (oddly much thicker than a second Flight PD I bought in ‘84). Wish I still had my Trooper PD.

20. Maidenpriest

No worries, I just did +2 or +4 (can't remember) Bass and that was it, obviously I used the original EMI CP32 Cd, then transferred to my Digital Audio Player in FLAC format, you can't go wrong it sounds terrific :)

21. hutchguv

Totally agree, I have that ten years box set (even the box, which after all these years, is in great shape) and it does sound marvellous.

I completely forgot to mention that I use the ‘Flight of Icarus’ from this box set for my best digital version of ‘Piece of Mind’

I got so excited about ‘Best of the Beast’ sound quality that I missed this in my original post.

Thank you so much for giving my clearly failing memory a bit of help.

sandimascharvel likes this.
  22. Maidenpriest

Best of The Beast sound quality is too loud and compressed just not as bad as what came later but still no where near as good as the original Cd's or first 10 years !!

23. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Get the 2disc version.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  24. hutchguv

That’s really strange,..... I usually can’t stand over compressed stuff.

I just checked the DR values for ‘Where Eagles Dare’.

The original CD is a 12 and ‘Best of the Beast’ comp is an 11, maybe I’m not as sensitive to compression as I thought.

I still like the version on ‘Best of the Beast’ the most though. I am 48 and maybe my ears are finally giving out on me. I did recently have a hearing test and I was a little disappointed that I can’t hear anything above 14khz. Lots of loud concerts and music probably had something to do with it. Never even thought about earplugs at gigs when I was younger.

I do agree that the original CD’s and the 10 years set sound phenomenal though

Maidenpriest likes this.
  25. hutchguv

Agreed, that’s where (eagles dare) the two tracks I felt that improved on the original CD came from.

I probably wasn’t very clear, so thanks for pointing it out

Maidenpriest likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.