Must See TV - which of these shows do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

NBC was known for their Must See TV lineup of shows in the 1980s, and want to know which of these shows that you prefer.

905 and buzzzx like this.
  2. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Cheers. One of my favorite comedic sitcoms ever.

The other three were all very good as well, with Cosby Show probably my favorite of the bunch.

Family Ties had the best finale of the four.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

Cheers is my favorite show ever , though it went 2 years to far

Cosby show is good for first few seasons then I lose interest

I like family ties a lot...hello Mallory!!

Night court is fantastic and so underrated

j_rocker and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  4. MikaelaArsenault

Looks like everybody is voting for Cheers.

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Night Court

6. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Cheers. By far the one that's aged the best of those four.

7. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

8. MikaelaArsenault

So, it seems like Cheers is indeed winning the vote with Night Court coming in second place along with The Cosby Show in third.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  9. MikaelaArsenault

I may eventually make one for TGIF which is ABC sometime in the near future.

jason88cubs likes this.
  10. jason88cubs

what shows would you use?

11. Bern

Bern JC4Me

These are the ones listed...I don't watch much tv (worked in it)..so I'm a poor judge as to which of these would be good.
    The only show I watched in the poll was Cheers.

[​IMG]
    12 TV Shows That Were On ABC’s TGIF Lineup

ABC started T.G.I. F. (Thank God It’s Friday) Friday night programming in 1988. Surprisingly, it ran until the year 2000. This block of TV was full of family friendly TV shows that probably shaped your childhood. Here are 12 TV shows that were on ABC’s TGIF Lineup.

1. Perfect Strangers. This was the first TV show in the 8PM block during its original run in 1988. It ran from 1986 to 1993.
    2. Full House. Everyone knows Full House! It followed Perfect Strangers at 830PM during TGIF’s original run. It lasted from 1987 to 1995.
    3. Mr. Belvedere. This was one of ABC’s biggest TV shows at the time. It was the anchor of the original TGIF lineup in 1988. It ran from 1985 to 1990.
    4. Just the Ten of Us. This was a spinoff of Growing Pains. While ABC tried to make it a hit, it only lasted for two years from 1988 to 1990.
    5. Family Matters. Family Matters and Steve Urkel dominated pop culture in the early 90s. While it wasn’t part of the original TGIF, it was a staple of ABC for 1989 to 1997 before it moved to CBS for one season.
    6. Dinosaurs. This was from Jim Hanson’s workshop and was one of the few TV sitcoms that featured fully operational puppet work. It’s great and it lasted from 1991 to 1994.
    7. Step by Step. This was a modern day Brady Bunch for the 90s. I’m sure that’s how Step by Step was pitched to ABC. It ran from 1991 to 1997 before it moved to CBS for one season.
    8. Boy Meets World. Much like Full House, everyone knows Boy Meets World. It was one of the most popular TV shows on ABC and then the Disney Channel from 1993 to the year 2000. It even spawned a sequel series with Girl Meets World in 2014.
    9. Hangin’ with Mr. Cooper. It hit that early 90s sweet spot that’s almost ridiculous. It lasted from 1992 to 1997.
    10. Sister, Sister. Much like Hangin’ with Mr. Cooper, Sister, Sister also hit that 90s sweet spot in terms of fashion and pop culture. It ran from 1994 to 1999.
    11. Sabrina, the Teenage Witch. Melissa Joan Hart’s sitcom career never hit as high as Sabrina, the Teenage Witch. It lasted from 1996 to 2003.
    12. Clueless. Based on the popular movie, Clueless saw some moderate success on ABC from 1996 to 1997 before it moved to UPN for two more seasons.

12. MikaelaArsenault

Full House, Perfect Strangers, etc.

13. MikaelaArsenault

Thanks. I'll be using some of those in my soon to be list.

14. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Family Ties for me. I love that show. I am also a huge fan of Michael J Fox.

15. jason88cubs

Boy meets world brings so much nostalgia

16. MikaelaArsenault

I'll be including that in the poll.

jason88cubs likes this.
  17. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Liked all of these when they first ran, but Cheers had the best writing and ensemble cast and is the one I most like to rewatch now.

18. buzzzx

buzzzx Forum Resident

Watched and enjoyed 3 of them but not Cosby. I never thought Bill Cosby was funny. Richard Pryor was more my style.

daca and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  19. MikaelaArsenault

So for my next poll, I'm definitely doing TGIF for sure and will be including Boy Meets World as one of them.

Does anyone know what other shows I should include? Should I just stick to 4 or include more options?

20. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

Not threadcrapping, but to be accurate, none of these shows were Must See TV. That was the 90s

21. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

How about CBS's Saturday lineup in the 70s which, at point was, was All in the Family, Mary Tyler Moore Show, Carol Burnett Variety Show, The Jeffersons and The Bob Newhart Show.

22. MikaelaArsenault

Good idea. I will do that first instead of TGIF.

23. MikaelaArsenault

Then I will do one for the 90s.

24. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

I would prefer Seinfeld over the choices offered but I went for Cheers.

25. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I was going to say. "Must See TV" was the branding used for NBC Thursday night comedy in the '90s. The staples were:

Friends
    Seinfeld
    Will & Grace

Plus a whole lot of other stuff that appeared in the lineup briefly: Mad About You, The Single Guy, Caroline in the City, Just Shoot Me, Scrubs...When I was growing up it was always Friends at 8, then something random at 8:30, then Seinfeld at 9 (later replaced by Frasier then Will & Grace), then something random at 9:30, then ER at 10.

Frasier was on Thursdays for only three seasons. It mostly lived on Tuesdays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.