Will the Godfather IV ever happen?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DaleClark, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know the fourth film was bounced around a few times thru the years. Andy Garcia says, in interviews in years past, that everything is in Coppola's hands. I know GFIII was a money grab (according to Coppola) since he was going thru a rough financial period due to a couple failed projects.

I'm just thinking the $$$$ potential would be too goo to pass up. Then again, I could see someone doing an entire remake from the beginning (since Hollywood is remake happy).

Thoughts?

enro99 likes this.
  2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

No. Never.

showtaper, Simon A, Osato and 5 others like this.
  3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I don’t know how good an idea it would be but...

As I recall it’s not really clear in Godfather III how old Michael is supposed to be when he’s shown dying at the end... couldn’t Pacino still play an 80 year old Godfather (it would be the year 2000!)

enro99 likes this.
  4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

"Not while I'm alive!!!"

5. If they do hopefully Winona is no longer exhausted :tiphat:

Simon A, GodShifter and eflatminor like this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The saga is over...Let It Be.

7. Mario Puzo is dead. So is the Godfather saga. And I can't see how a remake could possibly compare favourably to the first two movies. Maybe The Godfather 3.1? Remove most of the scenes with Sofia (not her fault!) and the whole new Sonny character. I liked the rest of the movie. Maybe they could find some Pacino-Keaton outtakes to fill it out.

Simon A and jojopuppyfish like this.
  8. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

It could be based on an illegitimate offspring of Sonny trying to muscle into the family business: "Son of Sonny"

9. How about a version from the Horses point of view ?

10. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I can imagine the title: The Godfather Part IV: How the Antman Joined the Mafia

11. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

From the perspective of Tom Hagen a rite of passage film when the Corleone boys were teens. The boys decides to rob a high stakes poker game run by a rival family and hijinks ensue. The gang is forced to high out in Sicily at the height of fascism prompting the young Corleone enlisting in the army a decade later.

agentalbert likes this.
  12. Seriously I wouldnt mind an HBO or Netflix type series. .

delmonaco and Spaghettiows like this.
  13. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

Some stories are just not meant to be serialized. The first movie is perfect and then we get the rare perfect sequel/prequel. Part 3 has some moments but is mostly enjoyable in a fan fiction sort of way.

I read some novels. Godfather Returns/Godfather Revenge and a prequel The Family Corleone. Not horrible or anything, but to me they just hammer home that the story was complete with just the first two movies.

That said, if another movie is made I won't be able to stop myself from seeing it.

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You know what I think is possible? Netflix or Amazon goes to Coppola and Mario Puzo's estate and says, "how much money would it take for you to authorize a 5-year TV series of 50 hours that tells the entire Corleone family, without any censorship, for $20 million per episode, and with the best cast and writers money can buy?" I think it might be hard for them to say no... particularly if all Coppola has to do is allow his name to be used as "Executive Producer."

It may surprise some to know that Coppola wound up making far more money on his wine vineyards than he ever did in movies. (Similar to George Lucas making more money on Star Wars merchandising than on the films themselves.) Coppola doesn't need the money, but I think if you paid him a million bucks an episode to stay home and cash the checks, he might go for it.

15. That exactly what I suggested earlier.

uzn007 likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Missed it. I read fast, but occasionally I miss a comment. But I think there's zero chance of Coppola doing a sequel himself -- he's semi-retired (age 79).

There's precedent for it: Amazon is about to go into production on a multi-year Lord of the Rings TV series that is said to cost $1 billion dollars...

Amazon's Potentially Billion Dollar 'Lord of the Rings' Show Sounds Absolutely Insane

It's also authorized by the author's estate, so this time they're going to get what they feel be an "accurate" version of Tolkien's classic stories.

17. Mine was a one liner and not as detailed as yours. Great idea though.

18. The National Enquirerer settlement will pay for it. :tiphat: .

Vidiot likes this.
  19. God I hope not. The first two are classics, the third one is pretty awful with some good sequences in it.

Vinny123 and Jack Lord like this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The only thing I liked about Godfather III was the idea that you could kill somebody with a pair of reading glasses, just using them as a dagger.

There was a contemporary Godfather IV script floating around that had the illegitimate son of Sonny Corleone trying to become the new head of the family, while Michael Corleone's son was trying to go legit as a lawyer... and the two wind up in a huge clash. Went nowhere.

Steve Litos likes this.
  21. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

Part III seemed a bit "hokey" to me, especially when George Hamilton pops up. I wish Duvall would have gotten paid.

Dudley Morris and mmars982 like this.
  22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i think francis ford coppolla is done with films.

he has a thriving winery business in geyserville california and he concentrates a lot of his time there.

an employee there told me a great story about him:

he lives about an hour north of the winery (which by the way is simply gorgeous). he will drive down on a random evening and have dinner in the restaurant; sits by himself in a booth and orders a rack of lamb with a bottle of zinfandel, always with a water glass for his wine, never a wine a wine glass. my grandpa drank wine the same way, always from a small water glass.

23. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

There are two Godfather films as far as I am concerned. They were the ones made in the same time period, and were not done as a cash grab. The saga ends perfectly with Michael sitting on that bench. Nothing more needed or needs to be said. It is a perfect duology.

24. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

Funny you mention that. My Italian grandfather would drink wine the exact same way. It's pretty common, actually.

25. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I enjoyed both Godfather movies but I haven't seen The Godfather Part 3. When I first watched The Godfather I made the mistake of intending to only watch 1 hour of it then go to bed...3 hours later I finally went to bed because I couldn't stop watching it...it was so good.

At this point, I don't think a Godfather IV featuring much of the original cast would be possible. If the movie was to be done, I think it would be better create an original story, set it in the present time with the descendants of the original characters, and choose a current experienced director who could do the movie justice while also involving Coppola in the project to make sure that it is done right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.