'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. djost

djost Hyperactive!

I agree, the Nathan Davis w/Georges Arvanitas Trio reissued by Sam Records is excellent. Big fan of Sam Records. With Sam Records, Music Matters, and now Tone Poet series, this is a great time for jazz fans.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  2. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

Congratulations to Wayne Shorter for just winning a Grammy for Best Jazz Instrumental Album for his masterpiece 3-LP set Emanon! I'll post a photo if someone can remind me how to do that!

3. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

You probably need to first upload it to a hosting service like Imgur, copy it's direct link and paste it on the field that shows up when you click the button next to the emojis on top of the editor.

4. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Is the Nathan Davis available anywhere other than acoustic sounds. Looks like it is back ordered and not sure if they will be getting anymore. Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks!

djost and SoundDoctor like this.
  5. gov

gov Forum Resident

6. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Well, these are some hot stampers !

rxcory, SoundDoctor and Joe Harley like this.
  7. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

I’m pretty confident that Acoustic Sounds will procure some of the repressing so this is one of those marked “back ordered” where you will likely end up receiving the album. I, too, recommend this album highly. Don’t sleep on the rest of Nathan Davis’ catalogue either as it is incredibly consistent and rewarding.

djost and scotti like this.
  8. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

Here's Wayne Shorter accepting the Grammy for his record Emanon, surrounded by his band John Patitucci, Danilo Perez and Brian Blade. Imgur

djost, Admerr, scottpaul_iu and 11 others like this.
  9. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

listening first time to Wayne Shorter - Etc. (Harbeth 7es3 / Rogue Cronus Mag II, EAR 834p/ Rega P7/ Denon DL110) its superb imo. Dynamic, clear but warm. Its all there. Super quiet, flat vinyl from the master tapes...Im sold!

jphabc54, rxcory, Joti Cover and 7 others like this.
  10. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Cool, thanks!

Bryce likes this.
  11. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

[​IMG]

markp, Admerr, souladdikt and 6 others like this.
  12. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Good news. But how many fans have heard it? Very overpriced.

13. Gabe Walters

It's streaming now.

14. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I will look for it on TIDAL this week.

15. brimuchmuze

Them's fightin' words :)

16. Gabe Walters

Why? I listened in hi-res on Qobuz.

I quite like the orchestrated sections, though I prefer the live dates with the quartet, simply because it's stunning to hear these four masters communicate musically with each other. I'd put Wayne's quartet on the same level as Miles' Second Great Quintet; they're seriously that good, and the more live recordings of them available, the better.

Now streaming Dexter Gordon's Clubhouse. What a killer title! I'd never heard it before and am thrilled it's coming as part of this series. The Harris/Cranshaw/Higgins section never disappoints, and Hubbard and Gordon are great as ever.

Fritz G23, timzigs and ausgraeme like this.
  17. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

My Etc came from Amazon with no bag/shrink. No issues at all, so I’m not going to make a fuss about it. I wonder if there was an issue with these where they needed to open them back up — maybe the wrong record made it into some jackets?

18. brimuchmuze

I'm just kidding. But seriously, "Emanon" is way overpriced on CD/Vinyl, and I think many of us would prefer a physical release at a reasonable price over streaming.

ausgraeme and Lucca90 like this.
  19. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Agree. I thought about getting it last month until I saw how much it is.

20. Gabe Walters

I'm guessing it'll come down eventually. Or maybe the Grammy win will encourage UMe to put it out in a less ornate package.

Josquin des Prez likes this.
  21. birchstick

birchstick Forum Resident

Several of the upcoming titles I am planning on going in blind, knowing the music was chosen by @Joe Harley to be released for a reason. So pumped for this title especially!

Joe Harley likes this.
  22. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

Apparently enough for it to win a Grammy....

23. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

Right? That this was not released at the time is a total mystery to a whole lot of folks. But it was like that at the time for Blue Note. So much going on and only a very few people besides Frank and Alfred working for the company at the time. From what I understand, there were times when they simply became overwhelmed and projects they had recorded fell by the wayside.

24. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I'm really looking forward to the Cassandra Wilson Glamoured release. I had been hoping for a vinyl reissue. Great to see that analog tapes were discovered. I assume that means 'masters'.

I was seeing Patricia Barber at the Regatta Bar in Cambridge when, at the same time, Wilson was performing across the hall in a ballroom, supporting this album.

AshS, scotti and rxcory like this.
  25. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

That's exactly what it means. Surprised me too. We had to assemble them into the running order for the album since that had never happened before.

Fractured, scotti, bluejimbop and 2 others like this.