Classic TV shows you loved but simply can't watch anymore

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, Feb 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

I watched Mork and Mindy for the first time last year. I enjoyed it.

BeatlesObsessive likes this.
  2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Robin Williams on cocaine ain’t my thang.

bpmd1962 likes this.
  3. mongo

mongo Senior Member

As much as I loved watching Twilight Zone Saturday afternoons during college, can't stand it now.
    There's a sameness to almost every episode especially the "ironic twist" endings.
    The majority telegraph it.

Although I don't mind seeing Talky Tina torture Telly Savalas

Dudley Morris and Spencer R like this.
  4. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I've been watching Twilight Zone on Netflix and forgot how lame a lot of the episodes are. Some are great but a lot of them are just okay with some outright bad ones too.

MikaelaArsenault and jupiter8 like this.
  5. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Stop it. He's been dead over 11 years. What does that have to do with today's late night talk shows? (Which still suck)
    My reply was to a comment concerning the current light night choices.........

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Read the title of the thread. Your submission regarding late-night talk-shows to the discussion would consist of the ones from yesteryear and not today's... hence the word "classic".

My reply was to indicate how they used to be much better than the crop we have today.

7. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Saved By The Bell

Used to watch the never ending TBS reruns when growing up as a kid before going off to school, but now it's just nothing but corny.

8. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

Corny to the nth degree! It was almost comical when they tried to do the random "serious" episode... Jessie with her pills and the Drinking/Driving episode. Nevertheless, Saved By Bell was part of my childhood and proud of it! :cool: :laugh:

Grand_Ennui and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  9. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

I still enjoy it

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  10. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Oh I do too, but it's just really goofy nowadays.

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I watched a bunch of "SBTB" in early 1993 when I was 25 because I had a busted ankle and couldn't go anywhere.

I would've loved to use that amply down time to watch my fairly large laserdisc collection, but it was such a hassle to deal with hobbling to the player every 50 minutes or so that I chose to partake with whatever crap I could find on TV.

And that crap was "SBTB".

I can't say I actually enjoyed it, but it was on a lot and painless enough!

12. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

I was thinking of getting The Monkees on dvd and decided to watch an episode on youtube. I'm glad I did because I thought it was terrible. I still love the music but the show wasn't that good though at the time it was very different. The only show I bought from my early childhood was Rocky & Bullwinkle. I still find them funny but the others stories (except for Dudley Do-Right) are just ok. I'll still watch The Young Ones every now and then and enjoy it. I still like the original run of Dangermouse but the last few seasons were overly silly and are now hard to watch though there are a few good episodes in there.

13. j_rocker

j_rocker Forum Resident

The smarter shows from that era were light and fun. They found comedy in real conversations and situations. Today it’s all about being clever and ironic, nothing but a bunch of setups, punchlines, and innuendos with little to no sincerity, depth, or realism. I’d kill for more self contained entertainment!

14. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I’d say that that describes 90s shows such as Seinfeld and Friends more than contemporary TV.

15. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Again, my reply was to a post about current talk shows. I'm not even sure why this discussion is taking place since we seem to agree. Sorry we drifted of topic and confused you.

16. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

When my brother and I visit our parents for the weekend, we tend to go through old TV shows, mostly 80's, and it's interesting to see how much things have changed.

If you watch some of the classic shows that were coming to an end just as say, Seinfeld, was hitting big, it's especially jarring. My brother likes to do that; point out that this episode aired at the same time as Seinfeld (as an example) episode X did.

But some of the older shows held up surprisingly well, and generally the theme is, season 1 and 2 have good moments and then it's downhill. Happy Days is a good example of that. The early episodes are watchable (we nearly fell off the sofa and landed on our respective potato chip bowls when the "racism" episode came on - we didn't remember that from our childhood) but there's a steep decline in returns after that.

We watched some early eps of Who's The Boss? and I pretty much figured it would be a case of, this is awful, but there were good moments.

One channel has been running a lot of old shows like, Lavern & Shirley, Rhoda, Mary Tyler Moore, Barney Miller...We didn't watch Rhoda or MTM when we were kids, but do remember the shows and there were some good episodes in both. I liked Rhoda better. These must have been season 1 or 2 eps though.

I don't think I'd ever put any of them on a "repeat watch" list though, with the exception of Barney Miller.

Some shows were hard to watch in general for me though. I found Home Improvement virtually impossible to get through. I actually prefer Last Man Standing and I regularly watch Man With A Plan on purpose. :)

17. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Happy Days

18. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I can watch the last two seasons (barring the finale). The silly Seinfeld was much better than the Larry David self defeating Seinfeld in my opinion.

19. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

The Apprentice...but only because it's currently 'unavailable'.

20. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

happy days

21. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Couldn't watch Good Times after the parents left.
    J.J. and Willona were unbearable. Especially J.J.
    Janet Jackson was not cute.
    She was odd.

...and everybody was always shouting
    instead of talking.

22. trd

trd Forum Resident

Always entertaining when two people are in agreement but one of them insists on arguing with the other anyway :D

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  23. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

Fresh Prince of Bel Air: Love the first couple of seasons, but the latter part (around Seasons 4 - 6) not my cup of tea.

24. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

One Foot in the Grave.

I think the novelty wore off very quickly. The Victor Meldrew character is just painful.

LivingForever likes this.
  25. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

guess you are.....on a break!!!?

that was very cool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.