Sussudio: would've it been accepted if anyone but Phil Collins had sung it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Timmy84, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I noticed that Phil Collins has been, and in a way, is still, a polarizing figure in music history that we don't know what his epitaph would be written as when he eventually hits the Pearly Gates, I hope, in 20 years (can't see him go now even with his current health issues since he's meant a lot to me personally with his music), but I wonder if someone else had done "Sussudio" than him, like Peter Gabriel for instance, would the song had been divided by its reception?

Just wondering out loud, you know?

2. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I think it was polarizing because of the nonsensical repetitive title. Substitute anything in plain English and it would have been more universally accepted. Even “it-chee-bunghole” would have been better than “su-su-sudio”.

BTW it was damn popular as is at the time. Personally, I dug it well enough. I own everything Phil has ever done.

3. Timmy84

Really? I don't know. I guess I was just never bothered by it. People have a very strong reaction to it though!

And then of course the strange thing about the song is because it was this song where Christian Bale yelled the famous words: "Sabrina, don't just stare at it, EAT IT." :sigh:

4. Mai Tem Baht

Mai Tem Baht Forum Resident

Never understood the backlash against Collins, myself.

Very underrated talent by people who haven't a clue.

5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Enjoy this track myself

6. Timmy84

I know. It's one of the strangest things I've seen in music history. I can understand the vitriol towards some acts, but the treatment they give Phil Collins really bugs me lol...

7. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Would have been accepted if Prince had sung it, since he kinda did.

8. Timmy84

Right? It's just so danceable, ain't it?

PhoffiFozz, krock2009, Rojo and 4 others like this.
  9. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

It’s the Peter Cetera syndrome. Or vice versa. Sad really.

905, guitarman1969, krock2009 and 4 others like this.
  10. Timmy84

I did read Phil called Prince and played him the track because it had a similar beat to "1999" and Prince was cool with it...

11. Timmy84

I think the difference is Phil always came up with a classic and Peter...didn't. Honestly, can you remember any Peter Cetera hit that has lasted? Phil's has shelf life lol

Instant Dharma and tug_of_war like this.
  12. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I get that many dislike the way Collins went the total pop route, eventually doing songs for Disney, but he was one of rock's greatest drummers ever and then became one of the biggest pop stars of the same generation that saw MJ and Madonna kick ass. His legacy is in tact even if many do not want to acknowledge it.

13. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I like many Phil Collins (and Genesis) songs from this time. I never understood the dislike for Phil Collins, except for the over exposure. Sussuido seems kind of slight and thrown together. PC did many better songs than this one.

Scott

aravel, RangerXT, krock2009 and 7 others like this.
  14. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Yes. Chicago’s late 70’s and early 80’s radio hits. And his 80’s solo stuff.

15. Keith todaro

Keith todaro Forum Resident

Collins is a huge talent both as a musician and as a songwriter.
    It’s okay to not like the tunes - but it isn’t okay to diss him.
    The music is subjective - the talent isn’t.

Lots of very talented musicians whose music I really don’t care for - leave it at that.

Jarleboy, Rhett, Phil147 and 17 others like this.
  16. Timmy84

Only ones I can seem to remember was Next Time I Fall in Love and After All and the latter only because it was a CHER song lol I'll give you Chicago though. I think of the stuff he sang with them on, I dig Street Player and If You Leave Me Now. That song is not as terrible as I thought (The Isley Brothers covered it years afterwards and they produced a pretty good version of it but then again it's the Isleys, the masters of the rock/pop cover).

17. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

It was accepted. It hit #1 on the Billboard singles chart in 1985.

DrAftershave, RangerXT, RTW and 13 others like this.
  18. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

But Genesis was a much better band when Peter fronted it.

Some of Cetera 's hits have lasted. Sledge Hammer.. Hard for Me to say I'm Sorry.. Etc.

19. Timmy84

Right, he was one of the icons of the '80s. Probably a more maligned one than he should be. I don't mind he went the pop route (mainly because I was a kid when he was already in that route and loved all the solo stuff he did and then to discover he was in a group made him more exciting to me) or did Disney later on (no one gives Elton John slack for it but Phil Collins produces the UGH emotions too hard for my liking. Like I get you don't like his songs, but some act like he's a stain on their shirt they can't get rid of it. And yeah, one of the greatest drummers in rock history. I don't know, I'm a big fan lol

Jarleboy, ispace, enro99 and 2 others like this.
  20. Timmy84

I just meant critically lol

21. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Critics, by and large, are brain dead dopes.

22. Timmy84

[​IMG]

905 and mbrownp1 like this.
  23. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Well, critically, Sussudio was kind of a dumb song. But, like Juniors Farm and other dumb tunes, that’s ok if you make a memorable track. But don’t expect suggestions of genius.

Paperlate is my fave Collins tune. It says Genesis, but it scream Phil solo.

Phil got overexposed, not sure how much blame he shares. Can’t fail him for producing hit albums. MTV milked him for all he was worth. He was a bit ubiquitous for a while. Featured drummer on some Eric Clapton tunes.

For a while, you could not escape Phil Collins.

24. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

I love you Feel, but Sussudio is not for me.

showtaper, fer2 and abzach like this.
  25. telecode101

telecode101 Forum Resident

I think the backlash against Collins was because he came from Genesis and turned into a sappy balladeer for the longest time. Even though he make records that had all sorts of faster songs, stuff like the Against All Odds and One More Night were the staple of his career from the 80s to 00's. Also I think the ,"Oh, I'm just a regular English bloke who likes to have a pint at the pub" media personality turned some people off.

I personally think he was an excellent musician and amazing drummer and have developed a new appreciation for him in recent years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.