Genesis - Round 10 - Least favorite Studio Album poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rfreeman, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member Thread Starter

We ran over The Lamb, who should have known better than to lie down on Broadway. Vote off one more in this penultimate round.

Discussion question: Do you think Chester and/or Darryl should have been asked to participate on Genesis studio recordings at any point (Chester most likely would only have happened after Phil left) or are you glad they were only included in live shows? And do you think their live contributions ever elevated songs beyond the studio versions?

Voted off so far:
    2x2 Rounds:
    Calling All Stations (159 votes)
    We Cant Dance (96)
    ---------------------------------------
    Invisible Touch (69)
    From Genesis To Revelation (63)
    ---------------------------------------
    Genesis (83)
    Abacab (79)

1x1
    And Then There Were Three (62)
    Duke (73)
    Trespass (64)
    Wind & Wuthering (81)
    Nursery Cryme (58)
    The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (66)

bob_32_116 and tug_of_war like this.
  2. ironbutterfly

ironbutterfly Listening to marky mark in mono

SEBTP

tug_of_war likes this.
  3. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Foxtrot.

DQ: Chester could have been cool, perhaps. As for Darryl...I have no idea if this is unpopular or not but I actually don't like his playing at all. I don't like his live work and I'm glad he was never on the records.

4. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

This is brutal. I voted for Trick, only because my girlfriend at the time was really into Genesis, and Foxtrot & Selling England remind me of the good-old
    days. Aahh..my college years.
    DQ: Phil all the way in the studio. Live adding Chester was a good call.
    PS a friend dated a writer for Rolling Stone back @ 72/73 & met Phil and he hit on her even though he was married at the time. (she declined)
    Phil the cad!

5. "A Trick Of The Tail"

Rufus rag likes this.
  6. Rfreeman

I would have liked to see Darryl play on studio stuff giving their post Hackett material more lead guitar, and would have liked to have seen Chester on drums for CAS.

7. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

I voted Foxtrot. I think most of the post-Gabriel material is vastly underrated compared to the releases he was involved in, so I'd love to see A Trick of the Tail make it through another round.

I mentioned in the Round 9 thread about wanting to do a live album poll - I think I may set one up once this elimination comp is over, but just make it a one-off poll, vote for your favourite type thing. Anyone got a definitive list of albums to include?

So far I've got:
    Live (1973)
    Seconds Out (1977)
    Three Sides Live (1982)
    The Way We Walk, Vol. 1: The Shorts (1992)
    The Way We Walk, Vol. 2: The Longs (1993) (could these two volumes be compiled?)
    Live over Europe (2007)

I know there are some archival releases, and stuff included in boxsets, but I'm not too familiar with those. If anyone has any pointers of what else should be included, please send them my way!

8. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Very tough choice, but it has to be SEBTP for me. "The Battle of Epping Forest" and "More Fool Me" are the two tracks on all three of these albums that doesn't really stack up to everything else.

9. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Can't believe Trick beat Lamb. Goodbye Trick!

Derek Slazenger and linclink like this.
  10. Rfreeman

Archive #1 includes a whole live version of The Lamb (with some vocal fixes by Peter) - I would include at least that.

Archive #2 includes tracks from several post Gabriel tours

Might want to include the DVD releases too

11. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

Had to vote off Trick as I’ve always rather hated the title track.
    It’s the only song from these remaining three albums I can say I hate.

12. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Foxtrot. It's not a bad album, but it's definitely overrated. Supper's Ready has never been among my favourite prog epics.

Rufus rag and carlwm like this.
  13. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

I don't see any problem kicking Selling England's butt.

Rufus rag likes this.
  14. John54

John54 Senior Member

Selling England. Its highlights are Firth of Fifth and Dancing With the Moonlit Knight, but Trick has three gems ending Side 1 and two good ones in the middle of Side 2, while Foxtrot has pretty much the whole LP.

NorthNY Mark and tug_of_war like this.
  15. tug_of_war

As for Chester and Daryl, I like it the way it's been.
    Studio Genesis is more a songwritting affair and I don't know if they are as creative as Tony, Phil and Mike.

But Live Genesis is almost a different beast. And they never sounded as great as they did live from 1978-1987.
    This was probably the best era to hear them live, not much because of the setlist, but because of their playing.

16. Rfreeman

Dont need to be the songwriter to be able to play a better guitar solo than the writer(s). Glad The Beatles had Harrison with them in the studio on Lennon McCartney tracks

tug_of_war likes this.
  17. DMGuy

DMGuy Forum Resident

Trick again. Great album, but not as strong as the other two.....none of which are as strong as The Lamb.

18. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

Honestly, Foxtrot and Trick are tied for me. Both are good to great all the way through. I'm voting off Foxtrot for the same reason I did last round: richer sound production and stronger musicianship on Trick.

DQ: I definitely feel Chester and Daryl fall in the "hired gun" category and would not have been appropriate on albums. Exception would be that Chester should have been used on Calling All Stations; I believe he asked at that stage to be a full member and they turned him down.

Daryl to me is a solid player, and he seems like a really nice guy and easy-going person to have on your team. But sometimes his runs are a little flashy without substance. Particularly Firth of Fifth in 2007. I do like what he adds to Lady Lies as he does well in a fusion mode. In general, though, Steve had that same thing you hear in a Carlos Santana or David Gilmour: an ability to inject personality and soul into the song. Daryl is definitely more like a Paul McCartney backup musician: talented and stable, but a bit anonymous.

Chester is the perfect compliment to Phil on the double drumming. Some of you may know the drum fill at the end of Afterglow is something Chester did on a Zappa song that Phil asked him to repeat. Another great part they always hit is the bit during Firth of Fifth guitar solo. Then there is Los Endos. The drum duets on the Abacab, 3SL, Mama, IT and 2007 tours are some of the best drum solos in all of rock.

19. tug_of_war

Yes, but had they become oficial members we wouldn't be able to tell live from studio recordings. :D

20. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I voted Selling England, even though it will eventually be the last album standing.

For whatever reason, its always praised as the best Genesis album around here. To me, its more like 5th or 6th best. Still really good, but like Foxtrot it has some patchy moments. Epping is way too long and too busy lyrically. More Fool Me is ok but screams 'filler.' And I only like about half of Moonlit Knight which drags on too long. After The Ordeal is good, but just "good." I Know What I Like is fine, but again hardly 'best album ever' material. Firth of Fifth and Cinema Show are unassailable, however. More tracks like those and you'd really have something.

robcar likes this.
  21. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Easy one for me. I love all three of these albums. And Lamb.

Trick gets bounced here. I dont love Mad Man Moon on its own, Thats really the kicker for me, does each song stand on its own. Every cut on Selling and Foxtrot do for me. Also the title track is no great shakes.

Even still they are great songs.

DQ. Yes they should have stayed purely live, but dammit they should have used Chester in the studio on CAS. They should have held onto him and Daryl, they both wanted to stay.

Rfreeman likes this.
  22. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Trick. Again.

23. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Pound, probably for this round and next. Firth of Fifth is one of my all-time favorite Genesis tracks, but a lot of the rest of the album I'm only lukewarm about.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  24. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Has to be Trick. I cannot vote off an album that has Supper's Ready, nor one that has Cinema Show.

I don't think Chester or Daryl SHOULD have been invited into the studio, though I am sure they would have performed creditably had they been. It was unnecessary. Overdubbing enabled Phil to perform vocal and drumming roles perfectly well on the records. Overdubbing is hard to do in a live show. :)

LeBon Bush likes this.
  25. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Chester could play anything, and managed to play Phil's stuff in a way that wasn't a carbon copy. He didn't tune his drums like Phil's, and worked with a different palette of sounds, but it always worked, and was a perfect counterpoint in the duets. However, it has to be Phil in the studio.

I reckon no guitarist could have done a better job than Daryl did, but his contribution was a far cry from the magic that Steve brought to the music, and he's somewhat overqualified to play the things Mike came up with after Steve left. Daryl had a thankless job in many ways - kind of like the guy who replaced Don Felder onstage for Eagles shows. He's an excellent guitarist, and you'd certainly notice if he wasn't there, but...he could leave me a little cold sometimes. Studio only. Mike always seemed to come up with the right thing, even if he wasn't a virtuoso or great stylist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.