Why are CDs so cheap!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Klapamos, Feb 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

If your idea of a 'bargain bonanza' includes 90s US Country, Soundtracks and oversell (N'Sync, Monster), then sure.

nosliw, Jimmy Agates and klockwerk like this.
  2. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Supply and demand. If there is demand for your product, then you can charge a lot. Conversely, if there's little or no demand, then you can either cut prices or stop producing the product.

3. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

I buy CDs pretty much every time I visit a major city. Even the hip vinyl stores tend to have a rack of cheap CDs. Amidst the reams of Smashmouth, etc., I can usual find a few things in the $1-3 range.

Better stores will also have a selection of higher priced stuff that is still a bargain compared to other formats. I’ve been filling holes in my collection for artists like Yo La Tengo or Bill Frisell for $6-8 per cd. I bought a smaller handful of new releases this past year in the $12–14 range. A bit more than digital but way cheaper than a vinyl counterpart.

I think previous posters have correctly identified the core value proposition of streaming: price, selection, and convenience. One other major benefit are the algorithms that expose you to new music. I like scouring stores and chatting online about music. Most people do not. Now you can find out about loads of music you might like with none of that hassle.

nosliw likes this.
  4. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

The ones that really matter like the Stones SACDs still go for $30 a pop.

5. ironbutterfly

ironbutterfly Listening to marky mark in mono

the main reason is because cassettes are awesome and more in demand pushing CDs out the public eye...next 8 tracks and we will be asking why are cassettes so cheap????

MichaelM likes this.
  6. VinylGuy89

VinylGuy89 Forum Resident

Vinyl has more feel to it. The larger covers, the task of taking care of each record. Its more tangible.
    Also there is the people who do it for the aesthetic, not the music.

7. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

What does that make vinyl? The kids seem to love that technology.

8. VinylGuy89

VinylGuy89 Forum Resident

the post above explains

9. More for me. I could care less what an 18 year or 25 year old buys.

10. Mr D

Mr D Forum Resident

Add me to the list of folks still buying and collecting CDs. I love shopping the thrifts and used stores. Collecting has never been better and it's a great way to expand your knowledge and music appreciation by trying out things you likely would never pay full price for. For $2 or less, why not?

11. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Here, every charity shop has a CD by The Beautiful South. Oasis CDs are frequently seen. Even Radiohead.

The secret of thrift store shopping is to go frequently. If you only visit once or twice a month, then you'll probably find nothing.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  12. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I buy CDs. Great titles for less than two beers, in NM condition. A lot of jazz, Coltrane Impulse and Atlantic albums..

Ted Mooney, Fishoutofwater and Taxman like this.
  13. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Partially true but there's another factor involved. CD's were a big commercial success, millions were sold, like all format's not all were good, so there's a ton of unwanted CD's out there some cheap some free.
    We've all been offered large groups of free CD's or LP's from friends that are clearing out some of their library.

14. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

There is a big difference with the VHS tape and that is that the VHS tape is definetely detoriorating as we speak. A properly stored cd has a long lifespan.

15. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Where are these bargains? Halifax used stock still asks on the average of 9 bucks a pop at the independents. I would have to go to a thrift store and dig through garbage for an hour to find....probably nothing.

16. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

Don't forget, that you are buying mostly used merchandise. I find all sorts of music at the local thrift store. There is very little in my CD collection
    that I payed retail for.

17. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

Yes, I tend to agree. Also, there is a reason vinyl is making a comeback but 78's and wax cylinders (not to mention 8 tracks and cassettes) are not. Though cassettes are riding a little on the coattails of vinyl as a "throwback" craze.

Vinyl sounds good and gives modern digital a run for its money. 78's and wax cylinders don't. And VHS has an extremely poor picture compared to DVD, BluRay and streaming. So it's dead in the water as well. DVD is "good enough" to be pretty solid for a very long time, especially with upscaling. It is not only a lot sharper, but the picture is also cleaner than VHS regarding color purity, noise, contrast, etc.

18. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I got a mint copy of Electric Ladyland ( Polygram 2 CD) for 30 bucks. Not cheap..... but worth the price.

JulesDassin and Taxman like this.
  19. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

There's a couple of other reasons 78s haven't made a comeback. Most modern record players cannot play them, especially the cheaper variety. And musically, 78s disappeared before modern rock music took off. Sure, blues purist might collect them, but not everday vinyl collectors.

Vinyl is final likes this.
  20. paulisme

paulisme I’m being sarcastic

21. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

I meant if CDs are perceived as prehistoric by the youngsters then, by that logic, vinyl is even more so.

22. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

I was at a few thrift stores yesterday and browsed the CD selection, partially because of this thread. It's all the same very common stuff found in any cheapy bin anywhere. I didn't see a single thing that could be perceived as a "find". It's usually all the pop/country/r&b/90's "alternative" that was heavily popular 20-25 years ago. I never see anything from an 80's Alt group and certainly nothing even slightly rare.

MrSka57 likes this.
  23. Vinyl is final

Hey! What have you got against Enrico Caruso? ;)

24. homeslice

homeslice Forum Resident

25. Vinyl is final

HA! The last new CD I bought was not intended to be my last. It just worked out that way. It was in 1997. What's funny is the title. It was a Monty Python double CD of greatest hits entitled, "The Final Ripoff". :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.