BlackkKlansman (new Spike Lee film)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by townsend, May 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Well...maybe as great as Martin Scorsese is now in 2018, since his peak years are long past. Nothing in Lee's sizable filmography ever approached the quality of films like Raging Bull/Taxi Driver/Goodfellas or
    even The King Of Comedy IMO.

2. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

It's a Brooklyn thing, many folks in Brooklyn use the word joint for a place or thing.

Lightworker and Grant like this.
  3. Saw the movie over the weekend & dug it big-time. Spike pulls no punches, in particular with the ending. Great cast, good story & beautiful cinematography. And again, that ending...how did Spike get that in there? Wow...
    BlacKkKlansman

Hardy Melville, brownie61 and PHILLYQ like this.
  4. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Joint as a place I know. Joint as in doobie, spliff, or dutchie I remember. An older term for items in a butcher shop was also a joint. But... I'll just never call a film a joint. No more than I'd call a comic strip a graphic sequential narrative on another end of a scale. These things either get picked up or don't so I say pictofiction, scientificition, flickers, please meet your new castaway... joint. :sigh:

alexpop and Lightworker like this.
  5. Lightworker

What she said...

beccabear67 likes this.
  6. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I just learned that the main actor, John David Washington, is Denzel’s son. Interesting...

Oh, and apologies if it was mentioned earlier and I missed it.

7. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

If you look over the posts that I've made about movies over the years, you'll notice 2 things right away, 1. Oatsdad and I very rarely agree about movies and second, I've been a Spike Lee fan, Malcom X should have won the Academy Award for best movie but it lost to Driving Miss Daisy...ouch.
    I was not impressed with this movie at all. I didn't find it very engaging at all. There were some slow, and for me dull scenes, I just didn't buy it, are KKK members that dumb? I'm not saying it's a bad movie, I'm saying "it was alright, but I don't have any interest in seeing it again". There are , for me, at least 3 movies that were better than "Black Clansman", "Roma", "Green Book", "Vice", and even "A Star Is Born" are again, for me, wy way better than the movie "Black Clansman?. In the past Spike Lee has been overlooked a few times when he had some good movies out, but this is not the one.Lots of folks have been overlooked by oscar and they end up getting some kind of lifetime achievement award, not only that he's still young enough to earn and award. I hope the Academy doesn't dilute the AA and come up with, in my opinion would be a gift when there are better movies nominated.

ALL THE ABOVE IS MY OPINION, YOURS MAY VARY, PLEASE DON'T ATTACK ME, I'M GETTING SENSITIVE IN MY OLD AGE.. :)

SandAndGlass and alexpop like this.
  8. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

OH! Did anyone else see Spike Lee on CBS this Morning with Jane Pauley?
    He was very political about the do's and don't of this years awards, put me off.

9. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

It's based on a true story, so the answer would seem to be...yes, KKK members are that dumb.

Are there incredibly intelligent racists? Yeah, a handful like Nobel Laureate William Shockley, but they are few and far between. It's hard to maintain biased views in the face of higher education and experience with a wide variety of people.

10. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I know all about it, I've seen the guy it's about talk.Lots of folks underestimate someone else's intelligence, and sometimes overestimate someones intelligence.

11. Chris DeVoe

... and the Dunning-Kruger effect as well.

Gems-A-Bems, Lightworker and Grant like this.
  12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Was that where he was questioned about Liam Neeson ?

13. alexpop

Pass the dutchie...ah that's what that's songs about.

14. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

Spike Lee gots to be the most overrated director in Hollywood.
    last decent movie from him that i could recall is Inside Men from '06...they should pull his director's badge for what he did to 'oldboy' remake alone :shake:
    this Klansman movie is no different, vastly overrated & unjustly recognized. i knew that going in but still held some hope since the premise sounded interesting but...No.

Green Book remains my favorite among the Best Picture nominees (i've seen all 8 now).

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Yes. Anyone who thinks a whole race of people are either superior than another, or that a whole race of people are inferior than they are is dumb. Period. End of story.

Chris DeVoe, BeatleJWOL and alexpop like this.
  16. alexpop

Agree with your Oats reference. :D

Larry Mc and SandAndGlass like this.
  17. Monosterio

And, for the record, Driving Miss Daisy beat Do the Right Thing, not Malcolm X.

But, yeah, I agree BlacKkKlansman blows.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. alexpop

Great idea. What’s wrong /right with it?

19. Lightworker

Is Spike's Bamboozled considered "problematic" now?
    Hard to keep up with those fast-moving goalposts...

Rasputin likes this.
  20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Malcolm X" didn't lose to "Daisy" - "Do the Right Thing" did.

Though in truth, neither lost to anything because neither was even nominated for BP. :wtf:

Denzel lost Best Actor to Al Pacino in 1992, which is almost as much of a disgrace as "DTRT" not getting a BP nomination.

And what's the "second thing"? :confused:

Larry Mc and SandAndGlass like this.
  21. Oatsdad

As I noted above, the Academy didn't actually nominate either Lee film!

I think "Klansman" is the first Lee movie ever nominated for BP...

SandAndGlass and Lightworker like this.
  22. Monosterio

I would have bet DTRT was nominated. Must have been too incendiary for them. What a joke...

23. Oatsdad

IIRC, it got a screenplay nom but that was about it - definitely no BP nom.

Arguably the most bizarre exclusion in Oscar history. "DTRT" was probably the most acclaimed movie of 1989...

Lightworker likes this.
  24. Lightworker

Sadly true. Spike has done much better work in the past. He started out of the gate a bigger talent than Lee Daniels is right now.

25. Chris DeVoe

It's getting high quality re-release and a new critical re-evaluation.

Lightworker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.