DAC for Qobuz only

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Itamar.K, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Itamar.K

Itamar.K Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi,
    I'm looking for a DAC to use with Qobuz only (laptop). I don't have any digital files.
    I think to purchase some used DAC with 24/192 and async-usb.
    What do you think about purchasing 5-10 years old DAC, that had good reviews, that capable to play 24/192 instead of 500-700$ new?

Lets say -
    Bryston BDA-1 VS. any Schiit, Chord, NuWave, etc...

I also found used Marantz HD-DAC1 [450$]..

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Itamar.

2. rockindownthehighway

rockindownthehighway Not interested

The Chord Mojo is a great performer at the price point. The ifi micro black label is along the same lines. Both of them have some oddities. Check the details to see if they would work in your situation. These are portables with batteries. I have a Mojo hooked up to a desktop PC, one USB cable for power the other for signal. It's small and works fine for desktop use. It drives a pair of Sennheiser HD 25 1-IIs. Probably the same for ifi black label.

24/192 is just not very demanding. Old and good DACs are probably fine. But if you fall down the rabbit hole and want DSD or MQA support, you will need to buy something more recent.

I would rule out Schiit completely for any DAC. They don't support DSD or MQA. I have a lot of SACD iso and rips, I need DSD support. And I like having MQA for Tidal Hifi despite the haters.

3. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

You say this as DSD and MQA are some sort of industry standard or are to become one. :confused:

I’d actually recommend Schiit Modi3 to
    O.P. Amazingly good sounding DAC for $99 bucks.

Regards

Johnny Wong and jeffsab like this.
  4. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

5. rockindownthehighway

DSD is certainly an industry standard. That's what SACD are encoded in. For a lot of people who use Tidal, MQA is important.

Was the audio industry ever about "industry standards?" Seems to me it's been about the latest proprietary technology year after year :p

6. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

O.P asked for an DAC that he can use with Qobuz on his laptop. Recommending him DAC with DSD and MQA support seems "irresponsible-ish", as is likely to blow the budget multiple times over, for the formats that Qobuz doesn't even support yet. Discovering and understanding high quality sound

Putting aside of what your (or mine) idea of industry standard is. DSD & MQA most likely don't even account for 2% of streaming market.

I also just noticed your signature, so would hardly take any advice from you when it comes to tech. :winkgrin:

Regards

7. rockindownthehighway

The OP says he was considering an older Bryston and also the Marantz and Chord. So it's reasonable to give him some info about choices and even (gasp!) to talk about things maybe he hasn't considered. Sorry you find that so offensive :p

8. Itamar.K

Thanks for all comments.
    I use at the moment both Tidal & Qobuz, I'm a Tidal user over a year and got use to their UI.
    I considered to purchase an MQA DAC..only the Project Pre Box S2 D catch my eyes but it seems to had a lot of problems a not a really good customer service from Project. I still consider it in the back of my head.
    Since Qobuz let me much more options for DAC in my budget I thought to switch it over Tidal.
    I found the HD-DAC1 [used] that can play DSD and maybe some day I will be start collecting files and will purchase DSD. Also, the reviews about it seems to suit my taste better of the Project's.

The Bryston sold..

My options are used Marantz HD-DAC1 or anything New.

9. rockindownthehighway

Then have a good look at the IFI Micro Black Label. It has great reviews, does DSD and MQA (the Mojo does DSD but not MQA) and another nice thing it does which my Chord Mojo doesn't, is it has analog input so you can use it as a headphone amp.

micro iDSD BL by iFi audio | USB DAC and Headphone Amp for Home and Portable

I have no interest in the firm, just talked with a lot of guys who bought this and wanted to know about my Chord Mojo and vice versa.

10. Itamar.K

The iDSD really looks awesome with the MQA capability..

I just saw a sale post of used PS Audio NuWave DSD in 700$ in good condition.
    I'm going to check it tomorrow and I think if I will like I will purchase.

What do you think?

11. rockindownthehighway

Check for reviews. BTW ignore sites with links to Scamazon... they get paid for sending you to buy.

I don't know anything about that brand or unit. I would just read all the reviews I could and if I didn't find any complaints sounds like it would be a good deal. What is your guarantee if it doesn't work? For the same money you can get a new ifi micro and have a bit left over.

Itamar.K likes this.
  12. Itamar.K

A good friend knows both iFi and PS Audio products and recommends me the PS Audio...I trust him..
    I read some reviews and going to read more from sites that now posts direct amazon links.
    In the price of used PS Audio I can buy iFi iDSD Black locally..here in Israel iDSD Micro costs a bit more than 700$. + If I will sale the PS Audio I would probably loose less compare to new iFi iDSD Micro.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  13. rockindownthehighway

Good luck and post pics! :)

14. Itamar.K

Hi,
    Just purchased the PS Audio NuWave DSD.
    After few hours of listening I'm glad with the purchase and I love the sound.
    I have now basic system -
    Elipson Studio Pro
    DENON X2400H
    SVS SB-2000
    Acoustic panels (Absorb)
    My compare done between the the PC > DENON (hdmi) Vs. PC > PS Audio > analogue inputs in DENON (USB & RCA).
    No doubt the PS Audio will play better, but these the things I noticed pretty easily.
    More resolution, drums sounds more realistically and not mushi,
    Great punchy details in the mid range.
    Human voices sounds just better - can't explain how. You just hear more and with a bit more realistic character.
    Image is more focused, more space between instruments and singers.
    Overall clearer & crisper sound. Not brighter..Believe me I know what bright is.

I'm in the procces of DIY speakers (Jeff Bagby/Adelphos Kit) and after this I will upgrade amplifier. Can't wait to see the final results!

I got DH-Labs USB cable and I have poor RCA interconnects.
    I have an option to purchase NEW Audioquest Columbia RCA (0.75m) in 200$, this model just replaced, or any other new cable. There are no a lot of good used cables in my area in this range. A lot of options in 300$ but I'm not in to this in the near future.
    Any recommendation for IC under 200$?
    What do you say about Audioquest Columbia in this price?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  15. rockindownthehighway

Great :) Are you talking about cables? I don't think it's worth spending more than 20 USD on a cable. Personally I look for good quality connectors and solid construction. The el-cheapo Audioquest cables are fine and so are many others.

I cannot see the pics for some reason. I just get a broken picture icon with [​IMG]

16. Itamar.K

I don't know why I can't upload..
    here is links:
    Imgur
    Imgur

Thanks!

17. rockindownthehighway

Very nice system!

Itamar.K likes this.
  18. Stunsworth

Stunsworth Forum Resident

I realise the OP has bought a DAC, but I’d just like to sing the praises of the Project. High resolution PCM, DSD and MQA are all available via the USB port. I bought one two weeks ago and have been very impressed. My only complaint is with the size of the screen - id have preferred something larger. The sound is excellent.

19. Itamar.K

The S2D really looks like an awesome product. A LOT of happy owners...
    I don't mind much about screen as long it sounds good in this price.
    Enjoy!

20. davboy2

davboy2 Active Member

Why not simply an Audioquest Dragonfly? Cheap, versitile and if you later want to upgrade still has plenty of uses...

gss and Itamar.K like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.