What CD or Vinyl will you use to impress your guest.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thomaskong, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is a good recording.

But to play it well, you must have nice system.

2. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

Mad Season- Above

3. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

Warm Ways-Fleetwood Mac
    Songbird-Eva Cassidy
    Aerial Boundaries-Michael Hedges
    Meet Me In The Morning-Dylan
    Last Kiss-Joe Bonamassa (Tour de Force)

Vox Humana-Gary Burton Quintet
    Out and In-Moody Blues
    Amelia-Joni Mitchell
    Daughter of the Sea-Doobie Brothers (MFSL gold cd)
    Just Another Fall-Dave Stewart/Diane Birch

Darling Pretty-Mark Knopfler
    If This is Goodbye-Emmylou Harris/Mark Knopfler
    Runaway Train-Rosanne Cash
    Mr. Tambourine Man-The Byrds
    Learning to Fly-Tom Petty/Heartbreakers

You Wreck Me-Tom Petty
    Mystery Girl-Roy Orbison
    Waiting in Vain-Annie Lennox
    River Quay-Pat Metheny
    When Tomorrow Comes-Eurythmics

4. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

For What It’s Worth

5. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

Trick of the Tail, 1st UK Press
    Relayer, Steven Wilson Vinyl
    Emerson Lake and Palmer, UK Pink Islamd A1U/B1U

My system won’t impress any audiophiles probably, but it sounds very good for the price, and makes people’s ears perk up to some degree.

SirMarc and timind like this.
  6. thomaskong

Eva Cassidy's Songbird is one of my demonstration CD.

Her voice is mesmerizing in my system due to the combination of plasma tweeter and SET amplifier.

nosliw and Gramps Tom like this.
  7. seastman

seastman Forum Resident

INXS - Dekadance EP (1983 US - ATCO 90115-1-A)

One of the best sounding records in my entire collection.
    Guests or not, I put it on just to impress myself.

8. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

These days it probably wouldn't occur to me to try and 'impress' a visitor. Not least because my system wasn't designed to impress; rather, to provide me with clean, accurate and non-fatiguing music playback at volumes that won't disturb my adjacent neighbors. Nonetheless I'd be pleased to play them whatever music they fancied hearing, because the end result would be pretty pleasing regardless (and reasonably faithful to the source.)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Helom and timind like this.
  9. siebrand

siebrand music lover

[​IMG]
    sacd (no Hybrid)

really a disk to die for.

Starwanderer likes this.
  10. Vignus

Vignus Digital Vinylist

I know that when I wanted to get rid of my guests I would play 23 Skidoo. It almost always worked

11. siebrand

siebrand music lover

you can assure yourself ... it sounds really impressive

12. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

It’s one of my favourite albums and I have friends who also really like it. The album is quite full range, presents impressive soundscapes and has great female vocals. I don’t think I’d play it for dinner guests though.

bever70 and timind like this.
  13. Ezd

Ezd Forum Resident

I think the topic is more relevant to the music forum and probably should have been posted there instead of the audio hardware forum.

bever70 and patient_ot like this.
  14. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Two things about D.S.O.T.M.

1) I have an original album that is in pristine condition and the SQ is on par with any of the other albums or newer pressings of other music.

2) It is good to play music that someone is familiar with and would appreciate.

I don't ever see it as impressing anyone with my system as much as it is to introduce them to what a quality stereo system can sound like.

Most people that were my guests are only used to listening to stereo's like they sell in the big box stores and have never experienced that SQ of a quality system.

This is, of course in addition to good food, drink and conversation.

15. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

I totally agree that isn’t so much about impressing people as it is about educating them about the possibility of enjoying home music that far surpasses what they have been experiencing. In this day and age there are far too many households of my age (you’d say old) that are listening to Alexa and think it sounds just fine. More likely they think a sound bar on a very large TV answers their needs. Younger listeners try a little harder but they’ve grown up in such a digital world they think of a streaming service on their phone and some high quality ear buds as the place to go to listen to music. They are my target audience since they seem to like listening to music.

TarnishedEars and SandAndGlass like this.
  16. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

My new Tone Poet pressing of Chick Corea's "Now he sings, now he sobs."

17. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Most people just don't care. All I have to do when I have company over is just play music for the sake of good company enjoying music. It's not necessary to select some audiophile orgasm demo (and I don't buy records for that reason anyway). They'll figure out for themselves that it's something special.

I had some guests over and they did want to hear what the system really sounds like. I just played a selection of regular music we might listen to otherwise: some jazz, some Bach solo violin, an orchestral piece, some Hot Tuna acoustic, and so on.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

It's funny, maybe a sign of becoming a geezer, I used to have these "demo" tracks that made the system sound impressive. I quit doing that, and go for the music, though at some point, I'll slip something in that will show off the system. I'm usually after less well-known, not the tried and true stuff these days, and a lot of it sounds pretty good, maybe not to the level of the best sounding records, but I don't care as much about that. Most of those records don't get played as much any more. And I have accumulated quite a few of the audiophile spectaculars over the years. I guess I either burnt out on them or they just aren't what I'm after at this point-- if I do have a visitor, I'll try to find out what they like, musically. But, often, it's have you ever heard this before? And sometimes, I've turned somebody on to a new band or record.
    One that I can recommend for music and it's also a sonic pleaser is a standard US Mercury pressing of brian davison's every which way. It sounds like early Traffic. Blues boy shouter, jazzy motifs, a pinch of psych, an altogether delicious record. The fact that it sounds good is a real bonus. And it's a sleeper.

bhazen likes this.
  19. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

Back in the day when I did that sort of thing I used three:
    The Power and the Majesty (trains and thuder/rain)
    Telarc digital of 1812 overture. The canon blasts are amazing on the original pressing.
    Sheffield Labs I've got the music in me by Thelma Huston. But I used that song and "Pressure Cooker" to really show off the dynamics. The ESS 1B monitors, bi-amped, really showed off the kick drum and the horns.

20. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Nobody else cares to listen to my system. However, this recent acquisition CD is on-deck just-in-case:

[​IMG]

21. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I mostly don't play anything specific, I usually have Pandora streaming, rather than fiddling around with physical media, while we are socializing and doing other things.

I am usually cooking, when I have guests over, so that keeps my hands pretty full. Sometimes I will host movie nights, then I can work finishing the food and serving the food and drinks, while I have a movie playing.

22. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

I would not by choice foist my musical taste upon guests....but if forced, I would for the mofi "Finger paintings" from Earl Klugh.

23. thomaskong

Ha Ha I used to use 1812 overture to surprise the guests by sudden blast of gun shot.:wiggle:

Your recommendation is reasonable.

SandAndGlass and Vinyl is final like this.
  24. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

CD?!?! Nah... Lets just do this like this here...
    [​IMG]

shutdown66 and Tim Lookingbill like this.
  25. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

Avalon is a beautiful record...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.