Unexpected choice of guitar

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maggie, Feb 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show Thread Starter

I was playing a New York Dolls video the other day and was reminded of how unexpected it was, to me, to see Sylvain Sylvain playing a huge (on him) Gretsch White Falcon while Johnny Thunders played his little Les Paul Jr. When I hear their music, those aren't the guitars that I imagine (or at least not the Gretsch). Maybe you guys expect a Gretsch in that context, but not me.

It made me think of Love, who started out as basically an LA garage/folk-rock band, but who had a real penchant for weird guitar choices. Bryan MacLean played folk-rock rhythm on a big Barney Kessel jazz box, while Johnny Echols played most of the first Love album on a weirdly-tuned Stratosphere double-neck.

[​IMG]

Where else do you see a well-known artist playing a guitar that seems like an odd choice for their musical style? Photos are welcome.

The grand-daddy of them all, to me, is Joe Pass playing jazz on a Jaguar (looks like maybe not the original pickups?):

2. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

I'll never forget learning that Page played a Tele on the early Zep stuff. Changed the way I thought about that particular guitar, and helped me better appreciate its versatility

There's a photo of Neil Young posing with a Strat and it's like seeing Johnny Cash wearing polka dots..

Rickchick, vonwegen, J_D__ and 15 others like this.
  3. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

Sweaty Teddy plays an old Gibson Byrdland...

[​IMG]

What's unexpected about it is that the Byrdland is a hollow-body guitar. Has to be difficult to control feedback when blasting through stacks of amps.

4. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

5. piston broke

piston broke Forum Resident

Steve Howe and Ted Nugent's big box Gibsons also seem "off".

And if we can expand it a touch, Chris Brubeck's use of a fretless Rickenbacker is interesting.

Maggie likes this.
  6. vonwegen, blutiga, weef and 3 others like this.
  7. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show Thread Starter

[​IMG]

vonwegen, Carl LaFong, Bruso and 7 others like this.
  8. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Sylvain tells interesting stories about both of those guitars in his autobiography. The Jr story is that they each got money for new equipment when their first record was coming out. From management I guess...can't remember exactly. Anyway, because JT was the lead guitarist he got more money - $800 - while Syl only got 3oo. So JT bought a Les Paul Black Beauty and Syl got that Jr, but then JT totally fell in love with the Jr and insisted that they trade. And that because his signature guitar of course.

9. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

10. vamborules

Oh, and then later on Syl found the Falcon in a store on 48th Street and he tells how everyone freaked out over it at rehearsal, with Thunders again trying to get him to trade for it...but this time he refused.

11. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

Ted played that from his earliest days all the way thru his hey day in the 70s and probably much later on. He used the feedback to his advantage and I was told, would walk around during soundcheck to figure out the spots where the D and G would feed back - so that he COULD control it.

12. vamborules

Jack White with the EVH Wolfgang

[​IMG]

13. Indeed, he also has added wood within the body, an X bracing I believe. Beautiful guitar, and a credit to him for not playing the same old, same old.

• [​IMG]
    JimmyPage with his Danelectro

14. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Clapton's choice of guitar during While My Guitar Gently Weeps at the Bangladesh concert was an odd choice:

[​IMG]

longdist01, blutiga, goer and 10 others like this.
  15. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

One of the things that makes Yes rise above and beyond their prog peers is Howe's skill with Country/Bluegrass stylings... in that context his guitar seems right!

Someone posted that video in a recent John Lennon thread and I was like "What is that, an ice skate with pickups???"

Matt I, PhoffiFozz, vonwegen and 6 others like this.
  16. Sadly, it seems hollowbodies have fallen so out of favor, that many considered them 'odd' choices', which may speak volumes for rock's present predicament.

17. Joni Mitchell with an electric guitar, rather than with her constant companion, her Martin acoustic, also pictured.

• [​IMG]

• [​IMG]

18. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

That pic makes me dizzy like I've had too many margaritas. Glad I'm sitting down.

19. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

Oh, now we know why rock isn't mainstream anymore, the lack of holes in guitars!

20. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

I wonder if any guitarists in well known bands ever play one of the Brian May guitars sometimes? They may be rubbish guitars? However the reviews i've read seem to say they're ok.
    The Official Home Of Brian May Guitars

[​IMG]

21. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

[​IMG]

This has to be illegal, right?

vonwegen, Faceman, marcb and 23 others like this.
  22. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

Neil Young with a Flying V

[​IMG]

23. indeed, a lack of breath and breadth

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.