Looking for a vintage (japanese) direct drive

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bever70, Jan 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Bever70 - snapped a few pics of the KP-1100 as I was unpacking, etc... you said you wanted to see some, mind if I hijack your thread?

It is a Japanese DD thread, so maybe it isn't too far OT! :)

I've bought a few TT's as you know, and to date this one is the best "used" one I ever got where the box wasn't factory sealed!

patient_ot and bever70 like this.
  2. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head! Thread Starter

No problem. Please post some photos!

And I haven't decided yet, but I promised the seller that I will decide tomorrow. Anyway, if I buy it he will need to disassemble it again to put on the satin wax etc....

TheVinylAddict and patient_ot like this.
  3. Dane Argentini

Dane Argentini Forum Resident

The Denon servo arm decks usually just need a total recapping along with replacing optical sensors and led's. After cleaning, lubricating and adjusting with a service manual they're almost good as new. Completely restored units can sometimes be found on EBay for $400. The 100v Japanese versions run fine with an inexpensive Japanese 120v - 100v voltage converter found online. I have a Denon DP-52F that went through this process and it sounds great.

patient_ot likes this.
  4. TheVinylAddict

Well packed - and look at the dust cover!! Unused! A couple of posts down, I show the Dust Cover bag it came with new... which after 35 years is not common. Plus, no yellowing of the stryrofoam, nothing --- this TT was stored indoors, in a climate controlled environ.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

nosliw and bever70 like this.
  5. TheVinylAddict

Clearly unused platter in original bag.... look at the condition.... the biggest challenge in buying used 9010 / 1100 is getting a platter that's still shiny and not over dull! Well, got that one licked!

Plus, still has all the storage / park screws and instructions still installed. Upon removal it was clear I was the first to ever remove them. Look at the spindle too!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

chipcalzada, nosliw, bever70 and 2 others like this.
  6. TheVinylAddict

Bad tonearm pic, will do better in next post when it's in use... but unused! Look at the accessories bags with the original staples!!

Also, there is the Dust Cover bag I referred to earlier. And although also mundane - the cloth bag with elastic that wrapped the TT itself -- again, it exists, and pristine!

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

7. TheVinylAddict

And here she is set up, and with a better tonearm pic. BTW, the Kenwood 9010 / 110 0 is notoriously hard to photograph, the black piano finish and the high gloss metal clash and reflect everything around them, especially light!

The nicest thing of all -- oh my, it sounds wonderful!!! When I hooked this up to the Lounge Max and played it, I was absolutely floored! Big time score...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. TheVinylAddict

One final pic... again, the best thing about this is it works perfectly, and better yet it sounds great!! Of course, the test of time is the ultimate test, so fingers crossed, but TT's are pretty sturdy beasts, as all these 40 year old vintage ones floating around still working flawlessly is a great testimonial!

e[​IMG]

PooreBoy, Ken Clark, timind and 5 others like this.
  9. bever70

Absolutely awesome 'find' :bigeek: !!!!!
    This reminds me somehow of those classic car barn finds you always see......
    The dustcover and platter really look amazing ! Man, you are making me soooo jealous ;-) !

TheVinylAddict, nosliw and patient_ot like this.
  10. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora SeƱor Member

:edthumbs:

11. TheVinylAddict

Thanks Bever! :)

About three or four years ago, when I started yearning for a mint condition KP-9010, there is an audio dealer back east I know who got one from Japan, completely new in the box, factory sealed. Paid $1250.

I was so jealous, I started on the hunt. What I discovered, the 9010 / 1100 is HARD to find in good condition! The piano black and gloss are one reason, plus I think many are hanging on to them, and the good ones don't come up often. I bought a 9010 a while ago, it's in storage, has a problem and it's probably 7 out of 10.

This is a real good find --- I saw it and jumped immediately.... you don't see this Kenwood pop up too often in this condition! I a tickled pink at this TT, it is elevating to one of my favorites after one day!

bever70 and patient_ot like this.
  12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  13. TheVinylAddict

It truly is... thanks!

One minor thing - there is no stock headshell!!!!!!! So I have to give is 4.99999999999 out of 5 stars! LOL.

Clearly someone robbed the headshell --- I contacted the seller, and we'll see what happens. They have a number of Kenwoods they've sold, and in stock... so fingers crossed. I an find one if I look around of course, and the Kenwood stock headshell is not a world beater anyway...... but in this case nice to have, and completes the set!!!

Oh by the way --- manual and paperwork - original!! A little yellowing on the manual, but it exists, not complaining!
    [​IMG]

nosliw, bever70 and patient_ot like this.
  14. bever70

A technical question (while I wait to pick up the Jvc) : I have an Arcam rphono stage with both MM & MC inputs. Is it possible to connect both at the same time ? I will have 2 TT's and using MM cart on one table and MC cart on the other would save me the hassle from switching cables each time I want to listen to the other table...

15. TheVinylAddict

Depends on the design / architecture. Does it have a switch to toggle modes? If not, it still might be OK... check with the manual. Chances are if they put both sets of inputs on there, it can be hooked up simultaneously.

I had a Tavish Adagio for a short time that had both inputs --- it had a toggle --- I love that feature in one stage --- running multiple tables it is desirable

bever70 and patient_ot like this.
  16. bever70

Thanks! It has a small dipswitch to change between mm/mc so should be ok I suppose. I also asked my dealer where I bought the Arcam for confirmation, just to be sure....

patient_ot and TheVinylAddict like this.
  17. TheVinylAddict

If it has a switch I'll bet you a donut it can run two no problem. :)

bever70 likes this.
  18. bever70

The bet is on :tiphat:!
    [​IMG]

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  19. TheVinylAddict

Ehhh... where are the sprinkles?? :wtf:

Aftermath and bever70 like this.
  20. bever70

2 coats of (mat-satin) hardwax have now been applied to the plinth, a 3rd coat will hopefully finish it off.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. TheVinylAddict

As a guy who is a woodworker, has an extensive woodshop, grew up a house painter and furniture refinisher --- I can relate and bow to your resourcefulness.

I am going to go on a limb too -- that 8 hole random orbit sandpaper you have there -- looks suspiciously close in color to the Klingspor stearate paper?

bever70 likes this.
  22. bever70

Sorry to disappoint you, but it is the seller who is preparing the table for me. I have some woodskills, but he is used to this kind of work so I asked him to finish the plinth off with a light satin sheen ( it was mat when I viewed it last weekend) and he mailed me some photos as the work is progressing. Hopefully I can pick it up this sunday ...

patient_ot likes this.
  23. bever70

I just ordered this Test-record (from Germany) to do some compliance testing in the future :
    http://rssconsultancy.co.uk/article71.pdf
    The CBS record that has been mentioned here seems to be unobtainable in the EU.
    From what I read on the german site, the vinyl-essentials test record has been put out with great attention to quality (mastering & pressing).
    I also ordered a capacitance meter on Amazon.
    Ready to roll....:agree:

patient_ot likes this.
  24. bever70

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brought the table home yesterday.
    The wood is a perfect fit with the Tisbury preamp :D.
    Did a basic set-up just to hear and test if everything was still working after transport. It came with an Ortofon F 15 EO (with new elliptical stylus). I doubt if this would make a perfect fit with the arm compliance-wise, and I didn't expect too much of it but on first impressions this really doesn't sound too bad at all. A very relaxing sound, and I hear no capacitance issues.
    VTA setting on this arm is easily adjustable.
    I might try the Nag mp110, that I put away, on it but I doubt I will like it any better than this old Ortofon cart.
    I will probably end up replacing the dustcover with a new (or custom made one) because the old one has some discolouration from the sun and it looks out of place sitting next to the new, transparent Thorens cover.

The arm doesn't lift automatically on every record at the end (only on those where the stylus goes really to the label) but I think I read somewhere that this can be adjusted?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  25. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

That's a great looking turntable and looks great sitting next to your Thorens.

RE: the Orto F15E, I have one of these. I'm not sure what the difference between the EO and E versions is offhand. At any rate, mine is far too compliant for my JVC arm - around 25cu IIRC. These carts also need a lot more capacitance than contemporary cartridges - around 400pf or so. When originally sold they came with a small wafer capacitor called the "cap 210" that fit to the back of the cartridge where the pins are. Most of these were lost so check your cartridge to see if you have it. If you do not, try increasing the capacitance for this cartridge via your preamp settings or loading plugs.

Re: the auto return, it should be adjustable but you will need to check the manual and service manual for instructions. Mine works pretty consistently but occasionally has trouble with dished records or those with oddly cut (e.g. lock groove) or extremely narrow (e.g. only a few mm) inner grooves. For 99% of records it works fine. Worst case you make a minor adjustment or lubricate the mechanism.

bever70 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.