The big disappointment: announced but never released

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by no time, Sep 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. At least this wasn't on it.

CMcGeek likes this.
  2. Irish-Matti

Irish-Matti Music Lover Since Birth

What happened to the "Live Aid" concert CD set?

andrewskyDE and mr._mojo_filter like this.
  3. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Elton John "Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only The Piano Player" 5.1

Zensound and Simon A like this.
  4. Too many SACDs to mention...the Bridge Over Troubled Water Quad SACD is the big one that sticks out in recent times.

Simon A likes this.
  5. darling

darling Senior Member

Think Too Much was absolutely completed and definitely still exists with Garfunkel's vocals on all tracks.

pool_of_tears is very probably correct but, even if Artie's vocals were actually erased from the multitrack, that was done after a complete mixdown of the album.

Anyone who has heard Hearts and Bones knows that it is not going to come anywere close to Graceland. Now, Graceland with Garfunkel's vocals would have been something...

6. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I’ll take Hearts and Bones over Graceland, any day.

Davmoco, BeSteVenn, somnar and 2 others like this.
  7. Hearts and Bones with Art’s vocals is “out there.” Is that what is being referred to as “Think Too Much”?

linclink likes this.
  8. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

I distinctly remember a catalog listing at a local CD place in the 90s for some sort of official Beach Boys Smile release (this is after the Good Vibrations box came out). I know I was able to place a pre-order but, of course, nothing came out at the time. This was a store that did not sell bootlegs, so it had to have come from Capitol.

9. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

Sigur Ros ( ) was announced as a 5.1 SACD many years ago. Never released.

I read that Steven Wilson had worked on a 5.1 mix of Roxy Music’s For Your Pleasure. It was never officially announced. I’m not even sure it was confirmed, but it would be welcome. His 5.1 mix of their first album took years to come out after he finished it.

The cancelled Eno SACDs.

Simon A and PhantomStranger like this.
  10. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

First one I thought of. Was excited about this one.

11. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

The 2nd Antemasque album. It's recorded and everything but never released.

Even though the first album is one of the worst sounding albums of all time, I still love it.

pexie likes this.
  12. The giant Patsy Cline box set from Bear Family. Licensing issues got in the way after it had already been compiled.

13. MikeyTags

MikeyTags Forum Resident

not sure if these were ever officially announced vs. planned...

Deftones - Eros
    Trent Reznor's Tapeworm project
    Green Day - Cigarettes and Valentines (lost album after Warning)

pexie likes this.
  14. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Yeah there was talk of a Smile set after Pet Sounds, I think.

15. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

In the 1990s in an Amy Grant newsletter, she was planning on releasing a 4 CD boxed set with the first 2 CDs of her Christian material and the other 2 being her secular material but it never came to be.

mtvgeneration likes this.
  16. Fannymac

Fannymac Forum Resident

A duet album between Rosanne Cash and Rodney Crowell, entitled "Twin Flames."
    Announced around a year before their divorce, their split ultimately put the kabosh on the project.

BeSteVenn, melstapler and No Bull like this.
  17. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Just noticed this post. I missed that announcement (& subsequent scrapping), but it seems like a great idea to collect a lot of 7" b-sides together. I think its a shame that some GBV songs are out there on vinyl but not on CD.

18. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Free Heat - Andy Piercy. Announced as his debut solo album after his band, After The Fire, broke up.

It never appeared. Three songs were released by CBS on a 12 inch single in advance of the album in, I think, 1984 but even that was withdrawn. Then Andy withdrew from the music business and has never returned. Shame because those three songs were good.

19. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I remember that there were plans for Black Sabbath to release their 1975 Asbury Park concert under the title Live in '75. Instead, we got Past Lives, a package that contained the Live At Last album, some tracks from 1970, and three tracks from the Asbury Park show.

Sean and hi_watt like this.
  20. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Lulu's album "Where The Poor Boys Dance" was canceled a few weeks before release in 2000. The title song was released as a single, and I think there might have been one other released before that. I still keep hoping for a belated release.

21. XTC, according to Andy Partridge, was putting together another rarities release similar to Rag And Bone Buffet, but this never materialized. Instead, most of the content was released over several remixed releases (by Steve Wilson). So rather than buying just the outtakes and rarities some of us wanted, we have to pony up 10x more money and also buy the music we already owned all over again. Thanks Andy.:rolleyes:

22. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Probably mentioned, but I remember they were going to put out a sessions (ala Pet Sounds) in the 90's. I would have liked that and there probably would have been less futzing. Not to mention, an early 70's Smile would have been cool with me since they did kind of say they were going to finish it back then.

Colocally likes this.
  23. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

I’ve been waiting for this one for the last fifty years...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CMcGeek, PIGGIES, andrewskyDE and 7 others like this.
  24. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Got a few things wrong. Tug of War At the Faithful Center was actually gonna be a Robert Pollard release, with a few Boston Spaceships rarities thrown in. And it was more than 4-5 years ago. Take a look at the cover art and tracklisting:

GBVDB - Guided By Voices Database

25. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Thanks for the link. First I've heard of that proposed release. Who knows, maybe they will decide to release it because two people on the internet want to buy it !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.