Disney’s live-action “Aladdin” (May 24, 2019)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Man, I dunno. I would be surprised if this thing is a massive hit. I could see it doing "OK," but at some point, the audience is going to get tired (and pissed-off) at the endless remakes.

4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I think this the best idea Disney has had in a long time. :shrug: I don't consider a live action version of a cartoon a remake any more than I consider a filmed version of a book a "remake," because the medium is so different. I don't think anyone calls the stage version of "The Lion King" a "remake."

However I consider 52 superhero movies with the same "Shiny thingee" or "galactic bad guy threat" plot to be remakes. :)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  5. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

The only thing that might make it succeed is Will Smith as the genie, but otherwise I don’t see being massive.

John K

6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Will Smith Will-Smithing all over this is just painful. He's doing the same level of acting that he was doing in 1996 for Independence Day and that so does not work in the context of Aladdin.

longdist01 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  7. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

It looks terrible.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I saw the trailer, and here's my opinion:

[​IMG]

9. AKA

Yeah, I’m not particularly excited about this one, but I’m not ready to call it terrible based on a short teaser. I am looking forward to Dumbo and The Lion King, though.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  10. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

will smith's Cgi looks rubbish also the one the picked for jafar looks too young! I would have gone for Oded Fehr ! [​IMG]

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

12. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

No Robin Williams = no sale.

13. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

Seriously, it looks like a parody that would air on SNL or In Living Colour.

14. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

15. AKA

I don’t think he was available.

16. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I've never watched the cartoon Aladdin because I found the clips of a manic Robin Williams doing random, unrelated schtick incredibly annoying. This is a classic children's story and deserves better than being a vehicle for a latter day tummler.

Karnak and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  17. Chris DeVoe

Totally agree on this. They have the ability to make live-action films of stories that previously could only be done with animation - so why not?

If they ever get to the point of actually making a superhero movie every single week I might agree with you.

In the meantime, I'm amazed that people can completely write a film off based upon one line of dialogue.

MikaelaArsenault and BeatleJWOL like this.
  18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The overreaction against the ubiquity of comic book movies remains astonishing. They're popular which is why it seems like there are more of them than there are, but naysayers want us to believe they fill every screen on every multiplex...

What movie got written off in that way?

19. Chris DeVoe

All I can figure is that none of those people of actually looked at an IMDb showtimes listing in years. Vickie has seen fifty films so far this year, and I think one has been a superhero film.

Aladdin in this thread. Based on a single line by Will Smith.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    MikaelaArsenault and Ghostworld like this.
  20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

What's the line? I didn't see anyone mention it.

(I haven't watched the trailer yet - can't access it currently...)

21. Chris DeVoe

"Do you really not know who I am?" I may be slightly paraphrasing, but that was it. A giant blue Will Smith pops out of the lamp and asks that question.

I much preferred Robin Williams when he was being a serious actor rather than doing the manic coked-up stream of consciousness stuff he usually did.

Karnak likes this.
  22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

MikaelaArsenault and seed_drill like this.
  23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

From first glance: it does look bad, bad, bad.

If the rising tide of public opinion goes against the film -- which happens very quickly these days -- it's gonna be a tough battle to make this movie a hit. I'm skeptical: this has already been a hit cartoon feature, a huge hit Broadway play, and now -- only 27 years after the Robin Williams' original film was released -- we have a live action film remake. Maybe that's going to the creative well once too often.

24. Chris DeVoe

It's a folk tale hundreds of years old. Any specific reason it shouldn't be made as a live action movie?

25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

What a bunch of stupid comments from nobodies. The classic “oh, I need to wash my eyes!” 15-year-old attitude. Zzzz.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.