The big disappointment: announced but never released

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by no time, Sep 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Real Gone Music-The Jellybeans...was really looking forward to that one!

melstapler likes this.
  2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Have you heard it (the rumored mixed and mastered version with Garfunkel's vocals up high in the mix on all the songs)?

3. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

I'll take Graceland over Hearts and Bones, any day.

4. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Me too. Well maybe not everything, but I would definitely buy some.

Sean and FillmoreGuy like this.
  5. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Elton John album produced by Kanye West

Sean likes this.
  6. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

Too bad. It’s a great idea for an album.

Ludger likes this.
  7. darling

darling Senior Member

Yes. (I wouldn't have been so catagorial, otherwise.)

8. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

Spirit-Clear & Sardonicus SACDs

Dennis Metz likes this.
  9. Grow Fins

Grow Fins ...and leave you laaaaand-lubbing women alone

Chromatics' enigmatic follow-up to their 2012 album - the acclaimed Kill for Love - was originally announced in 2014. Dear Tommy was delayed after songwriter Johnny Jewel suffered a near-death experience, after which he decided to scrap the original album, destroy all physical copies, and re-record it. Fast forward to 2019 and the album is still not out yet. The destroyed copies have been used in promotion material for Twin Peaks II, adding further to the album's mysticism.

10. I don’t think anybody has heard it with Garfunkel’s vocals up HIGH in the mix on ALL songs. I have heard mixes with Garfunkel’s background vocals and occasional lead vocal on SOME of the songs. What I’ve heard is not what I would call “mastered” nor do they sound like final mixes by any stretch of the imagination.

somnar likes this.
  11. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident

I'm still hoping against hope for Roadhouse Garden (though some of the tracks have trickled out elsewhere).

12. I am not aware of a circulating version that has been “mastered,” with final-sounding mixes with Garkfunkel’s vocals in all songs. Did you hear the tapes when they were actually being worked on and prepared for release?

13. Fortysomething

The Wendy and Lisa album with Trevor Horn.

Announced but never completely finished and/or held hostage by Horn.

14. Fortysomething

Was about to say the same. I remember one of the magazines at the time of release of "Let's Change The World With Music" (or was it "Crimson/Red"?) had a list of projects.

It was LONG.

Since then, there's only been Crimson/Red and the new I Trawl The Megahertz reissue. So not sure where any of those are.....and with Paddy's health issues, they may not see the light of day in his lifetime.

15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Interesting. You would be the first person who I know of who has in fact heard the mixed and mastered full collaboration tracks. But if they do exist, then obviously it would be nice if one day they get issued--probably not in Simon's lifetime.

16. dberthia

dberthia Curmudgeon, Skeptic

Jeff Beck Calls His Tour with Brian Wilson 'A Bit of a Nightmare'

17. Although I've never seen confirmation of this, I suspect the Anthology set that Queen once promised was gutted to create those "bonus EP" discs included with the 2011 remastered editions of their main studio albums. On the other hand, there's a wealth of additional material they've either played at fan conventions or released in piecemeal form over various titles, like the recent News Of The World 40th anniversary box. In putting songs from those together, I was able to fill out four CDRs, and that's without factoring in what else may be in the QPL vaults. For all their talk of not having much of worth to issue, the subsequent Forever managed to add three further quality cuts to their catalogue, plus there's a wealth of outtakes from the last few years before Freddie Mercury's death circulating online. There really is no excuse at this point, unless certain parties are hoping to keep such a package for the upcoming 50 year celebrations...

Speaking of bands that deserve the "anthology" treatment, a 5CD set by this name was once proposed for The Idle Race, and my understanding is that official archivist Rob Caiger got as far as to assemble his proposed running order for the collection. I'm fairly sure this would have featured both the mono and stereo mixes of the group's debut LP, along with various standalone singles, tracks recorded while they were still known as the Nightriders and even later BBC Radio sessions. Unfortunately, it seems as if the project disappeared soon after it was first mentioned as a possibility, though at least we have the less comprehensive Back To The Story compilation to keep us entertained. With interest renewed in all things Jeff Lynne related at the moment, it's surprising that a smaller reissue label hasn't stuck a licensing deal to at least get the off-air recordings out, especially as they remain popular with enthusiasts on the black market.

andrewskyDE and antiqueguy19001 like this.
  18. Floydhead1989

Floydhead1989 Forum Resident

Two years ago, I read on SHF that according to Denis Dunaway, Love it to Death, Killer, Schools Out and Muscle of Love were going to be reissued with outtakes and live material. Those four could really do with a remaster, and the deluxe treatment like Billion Dollar Babies. It makes one wonder what little Alice material Warner Brothers has left in the vault to append those albums?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Jimmy Agates likes this.
  19. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

Decades ago a Simon & Garfunkel rarities project was announced and then...nothing. It was said that they were literally scouring the world for recordings...I'm still waiting...

CMcGeek, The MEZ and antiqueguy19001 like this.
  20. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

That sounds like a Paul Simon kibosh to me.

21. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

I would just like a comprehensive release of vault tracks broken down by time period. I don't think the Prince estate should try to play surgeon and reassemble albums that went through a lot of different revisions and were never finalized.

Fortysomething likes this.
  22. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

I would have resisted that theory at one time, but I've come around to believing it's quite possible.

23. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

Back in late 2001 - early 2002, shortly after Eight Arms To Hold You was released, Mark Easter and myself were asked to prepare tune stacks for deluxe editions of the McCartney back catalog. As most of the albums were out-of-print in the States, these were to be multi-disc sets that would pick up the non-LP tracks (and possibly some outtakes). Even though Paul and his crew have since done an amazing job with the Archive Series, we're still waiting to complete our sets - nearly twenty years on.

Other unrealized projects that rode on the coattails of Eight Arms included deluxe editions of Rotogravure and Ringo The 4th, as well as a box set of live Delaney And Bonnie, with all of George's contributions intact. Speaking of George, an engineer (who shall remain unnamed) informed us that a copy of Eight Arms was kept on hand at FPSHOT to help organize George's tape library.

Chip Madinger
    LENNONOLOGY | Strange Days Indeed
    EIGHT ARMS TO HOLD YOU | remastered
    www.lennonology.com

24. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

At this point I think we can add

LED ZEPPELIN 50th ANNIVERSARY RELEASES

rockclassics and Sean like this.
  25. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

THe Tim Buckley estate announcing a comprehensive reissue schedule about 15 years ago. They said something about knowing what was out there and wanting to collect it. I think it got as far as the Rhino Handmade reissue of the self titled first lp after which it would have been so great to get all of his lps released with similar bonus material.
    & get all of the video stuff in one place instead of somebody rejecting a load of the further out stuff around the Lorca/Starsailor era. Boboquivari has circulated in non remastered form for years. Would be so nice to have it remastered still.

mameyama likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.