Best resource(s) for setting up a turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by neruda, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

............recalling a PM exchange we've recently had................. :)

2. Davey

Davey NP: Electrelane ~ No Shouts No Calls (2007 LP)

Oh yea, I think it was something like this, I use printed out arc protractors from the Conrad Hoffman tool these days to set the alignment on all my tables, never easier, the internet is a very good thing for turntable setup ...

[​IMG]

Helom likes this.
  3. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

TMI for a guy that's already intimidated. I've distilled it down. Hope you don't mind. :)

With the owners manual, you can see that setting the cartridge position in the headshell is very easy, most vintage tables came with some sort of alignment jig to set the stylus overhang, or just specified the measurement like for yours below...

[​IMG]
    You just install the cartridge with the screws snug but not tightened, make the measurement and move the cartridge forward or backwards in headshell until stylus is at the correct point (overhang), and assure the cartridge is aligned straight in the headshell (offset angle), tighten the screws and it's good to go. You can experiment with different alignments using an arc protractor once you are more comfortable with setup and understand the interaction between the overhang, offset angle, null points, and the type of alignment (Löfgren A, Löfgren B/Baerwald, Stevenson, etc).

You can get more precise than the above, technically you align the cantilever, not the cartridge body, but
    That gets you started.

Davey likes this.
  4. Davey

:)

5. TheVinylAddict

Do you have links to these protractors? Might help some of the newer folks looking for resources!

6. Davey

There's many mentions around here, but he has a freebie page at Conrad's Free Stuff

7. TheVinylAddict

I downloaded, unzipped, opened the Readme..... thinking of newbies here, and the word "intimidating" was used earlier --- does this have a YouTube vid or equivalent that you are aware of to help those new to TT's navigate? There is a big assumption the reader is familiar with all the terminology / anatomy of TTs --- it might be a leap for many new to the endeavor.

8. Davey

Well, the OP says he's been using turntables for over a decade, I don't think he's really a newbie. If people want to know stuff, they'll ask :)

9. TheVinylAddict

Guess I was thinking the OP is not the only one reading the thread or maybe using the tool... but I take it the answer to my question is "No" then, you aren't aware of one.... thanks.

10. Davey

Sorry, you're right, I don't know of any videos and haven't looked for any, but just did a search and there are about 10 pages of Conrad Hoffman mentions around here so lots of users that could help with any questions and usage tips. My initial point was that the user manual covers basic alignment, and that is probably sufficient for most, it's not until you want to take the next step that protractors come into play, and they bring the adjustments together in a pretty easy to understand visualization.

11. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.