AP Blue Note SACD Complete List?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jriems, Feb 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan Thread Starter

Does anyone have an accurate, complete list of the 50 AP Blue Note SACD releases broken down into the first and second sets of 25 each? If so can you please post it here, or provide a link to a resource that has such a list?

Thanks!

2. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

This is only showing vinyl, but I think the sets were released the same way in batches with the same titles:

Vinyl Records, SACDs, DVD Audio, Audiophile Equipment|Acoustic Sounds

mwheelerk likes this.
  3. jriems

Thank you. I was able to compile a complete list of both sets from those links. The first set only shows 24 titles and is missing Grant Green - Green Street (process of elimination), but the second set of 25 is listed in its entirety (in stock, limited stock, backordered).

4. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I’ve got 49 of them and it’s killing me to be missing that one last disc
    While I was concentrating on slowly buying the “limited stock” titles one of the “In Stock” discs that I figured was safe, Blue Train, went straight to back order status in the Fall of 2017.
    They say another press run will happen, but 16 months have passed so I’m a bit worried

5. jriems

Wow. I was just looking at that today and wondering how long it had been on backorder - 16 months sure doesn't seem good. :(

6. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

It's interesting, I consider it mis-information in that article regarding mono vs stereo tapes:

"The truth is, every Rudy Van Gelder Blue Note session after October 30, 1958 was recorded in Stereo only."

The much more likely story that explains the history of this debate can be found here:
    How They Heard It – Blue Note Records and the Transition from Mono to Stereo

Basically, until Rudy Van Gelder moved into his new studio and started recording in July 1959,
    the previous sessions were monitored in mono (one speaker in the studio). The tapes of those sessions recorded at Hackensack
    between Oct 1958 and the move to Englewood Cliffs in July 1959 experimented a lot with different positioning of the instruments.
    But clearly, it was mono that took precedence, and to say those sessions were "recorded in stereo only" is really false.

7. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

8. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

9. IrishSoul

IrishSoul Forum Resident

1st set of 25:

Lou Donaldson – Blues Walk
    Cannonball Adderley – Somethin’ Else
    Art Taylor – A.T.’s Delight
    Kenny Dorham – Whistle Stop
    Horace Silver – The Tokyo Blues
    Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – Moanin’
    The Three Sounds – Bottom’s Up
    Lee Morgan – Lee-way
    John Coltrane – Blue Train
    Ike Quebec – It Might As Well Be Spring
    Dexter Gordon – Go
    Joe Henderson – Page One
    Ike Quebec – Soul Samba Bossa Nova
    Kenny Burrell – Midnight Blue
    John Patton – Along Came John
    Jackie McLean – Capuchin Swing
    Jackie McLean – Jackie’s Bag
    Grant Green – Green Street
    Hank Mobley – A Caddy For Daddy
    Dexter Gordon – Dexter Calling
    Lou Donaldson – Here ‘Tis
    Grant Green – Idle Moments
    Fred Jackson – Hootin’ ‘N Tootin’
    Paul Chambers – Whims of Chambers
    Sonny Rollins – Vol. 2

2nd set of 25:

Ike Quebec - Blue & Sentimental
    Horace Silver Quintet & Trio - Blowin' The Blues Away
    Freddie Hubbard - Hub-Tones
    Hank Mobley - No Room For Squares
    Dizzy Reece - Soundin' Off
    Lou Donaldson - The Time Is Right
    The 3 Sounds - Introducing The 3 Sounds
    Walter Davis Jr. - Davis Cup
    Hank Mobley - Workout
    Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder
    Jimmy Smith - Back At The Chicken Shack
    Lou Donaldson - Sunny Side Up
    Duke Jordan - Flight to Jordan
    Kenny Dorham - Whistle Stop
    Grant Green - Grantstand
    Johnny Griffin - Introducing Johnny Griffin
    Kenny Burrell - On View at the Five Spot Cafe
    Cliff Jordan and John Gilmore - Blowing In From Chicago
    Jimmy Smith - Midnight Special
    Horace Parlan - Movin' & Groovin'
    Freddie Hubbard - Hub Cap
    Hank Mobley - Peckin' Time
    Stanley Turpentine - Up At Minton's Volume 1
    Jackie McLean - New Soil
    Hank Mobley - Dippin'

10. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

I have read complaints about the mastering regarding "highs rolled off" on this series. These are all I have heard for most of these titles. For those folks who have heard numerous versions, how does the sound quality compare to other options?

11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Was Herbie Hancock's "Maiden Voyage" AP Blue Note SACD part of the first 50 releases?

Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage

12. Since our host and his buddy Kevin mastered these, I would think he could answer this and probably did in 2014. My ears say no, for this whole 50+ series.

I cannot say I've heard all 50 in their previous incarnations, but from our host's own mouth(keyboard) dating to 2002, here, I think "rolled off highs" is not/has not been his overarching goal when he performs his midrange magic.

Maybe I missed a thread.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  13. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

The Herbie Hancock was part of the second set of 25 releases and the first of the 50 IIRC to go OOP.
    Always wondered why it disappeared relatively quickly compared to the rest

14. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I wouldn’t necessarily call these discs rolled off but certainly not as piercing (and I don’t use that word in a negative sense) as some of the XRCDs and Classic DADs.
    There might be some overlapping titles, if so I will try and compare.

15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I thought "Maiden Voyage" was part of the 50 AP Blue Note SACDs. I asked as I didn't see it on the first or second group of 25 releases in listed in post #9. It did go OOP real fast and the prices when available reflected that. I inquired several times if there was a limited run compared to the other AP Blue Note SACDs. But never did get an accurate response.

16. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

It’s the only one I had to buy from eBay, luckily I caught an auction a few years ago that no one else was bidding on.
    I got it for less than it would have cost me new.
    Now if I could only get my hands on Blue Train

George P likes this.
  17. IrishSoul

IrishSoul Forum Resident

I purchase quite a few of these for $15 new. AS was having, and may still be having a sale (Blue Note Vinyl/SACD) - I gobbled up ones that were missing from my collection :)

George P likes this.
  18. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

It was part of the second series. The list above has Dorham's Whistle Stop (which was part of the first series) listed twice, taking the place of Maiden Voyage in the second grouping.

I think it's pretty obvious why it sold out before the rest: It is simply far, far more popular than almost any other title in that second series, with the possible exception of The Sidewinder. It was also released very early on in the second series, and interest in that series seemed to diminish a bit afterward, as the vinyl revival went into high gear and more and more companies were issuing audiophile jazz. I know in my case, I got my turntable system set up right around that time, and MM and ORG were starting to issue more adventurous titles, so the AP series started looking comparatively conservative. AP even began competing with itself by releasing its Impulse! series concurrently with the second BN series. While I bought every one of the first series SACDs, after getting Maiden Voyage and No Room For Squares, I kind of forgot about the rest of the AP selections. Given the titles that went on sale recently, it looks like I was not alone. The odd thing about these series is that they appear to have the same licensing agreements for the obscure titles as for the blockbusters, which means that the latter will sell out, while the former will generally languish for years.

IrishSoul and Bill Mac like this.
  19. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

If you have one of these from the first series, and one of these from the second series, you already have a list of the titles because all the covers are printed on the tray card behind the disc. Just look there.

Bill Mac likes this.
  20. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes and they cleverly use the center hole spot for the SACD you're holding, so all titles are visible.

Blair G., hutlock and Bill Mac like this.
  21. IrishSoul

IrishSoul Forum Resident

22. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

:laughup:

23. IrishSoul

IrishSoul Forum Resident

Damn you AUTO CORRECT! Lol - I thought I updated that, but it keeps auto correcting and I don't catch it.. lol

NorthNY Mark and Electric like this.
  24. IrishSoul

IrishSoul Forum Resident

At my age, I need to use my Phone's Camera and ZOOM in to read those. LOL - it is cool how they did that, wish they just included a listing of both sets too.
    For the ones I am missing I am bidding on Ebay etc. Just like having options :)

George P likes this.
  25. IrishSoul

IrishSoul Forum Resident

You sir, are correct. I updated it, but auto correct still got me on Up at Mintons! lol

NorthNY Mark likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.