The big disappointment: announced but never released

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by no time, Sep 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Sadly yes,definitiely the biggest disappointment for me.

2. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

George Harrison - Portrait of a Leg-End.

3. villiers terrace

villiers terrace Forum Resident

I’m sure it must have been mentioned but I’ll add The Doors’ 5 disc LA Woman box set that was announced and then pulled.

No Bull and Sean like this.
  4. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

Following the release of the very cool expanded editions for Beck’s Odelay and One Foot In The Grave, there were supposed to be other expanded editions, including an entire unreleased ca. 1994 album. Beck and/or the record companies was/were apparently disappointed with lackluster sales and response to the two released expanded albums, and canceled further archive plans. I, for one, was looking forward to the other entries in the series, and was really sad to see the plans scrapped.

footlooseman likes this.
  5. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Wasn't that just the working title of Brainwashed?

6. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Supposedly there was supposed to be a Laura Nyro box set released last fall, including unheard goodies like a live version of You Don't Love Me When I Cry. Unfortunately, the company went belly-up, and I haven't heard anything about it since.

7. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

RIP Joe :(

CMcGeek and mw1917 like this.
  8. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

The all CD version of Toto’s recent boxed set. Preordered from Amazon in March of 2018 and the darn thing was never even released.

Jimmy Agates and PTgraphics like this.
  9. Nope. "Portrait Of A Leg End" was the working title of a box set of rarities which Harrison was working on compiling around the time of his death.

I think it's mentioned in the same interview with Timothy White where he talked about having around 3 dozen or so songs, in various states of completion, that had piling up since "Cloud 9" & "Traveling Wilburys Volume 3"... near to a dozen of those became "Brainwashed"

REALLY hoping to someday hear the rest of those unreleased tracks that were piling up throughout the 90's...
    ... AND all the older unreleased material that he was going to be using for the box set- "Portrait Of A Leg End'.

10. Jayseph

Jayseph Somewhere Between Penny Lane & Alphabet St.

I forgot about this post (and liking it for that matter). Time is moving way too fast. Anyway, I saw the Poses tour recently and went to the sales booth to see if there was anything of interest. Expecting nothing, I was surprised to find a ‘new’ CD for sale there: signed copies of Northern Stars. Of course I had to pick one up.

Ludger likes this.
  11. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

The 18 cd Free Box Set

Dondy, The MEZ, Tim 2 and 2 others like this.
  12. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Want to say the film of Aretha Franklin's Amazing Grace, but it's been announced again...

jlf and The MEZ like this.
  13. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Agree re the Geils release although maybe when you hear it the magic captured in those original 8 tracks may disipate I know that when I heard the "Complete Budokan" 2cd set from Cheap Trick it just didn't work like the single disc version.

14. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

When I worked at Warner Bros in the '00s, there were DVD-Audio 5.1 titles on the release schedule for 90125 by Yes and Cosmic Thing by The B-52's.

BMG had a Hall & Oates DVD video collection on the slate for a long time but it never materialized.

bobloblaw and Simon A like this.
  15. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Wendy Waldman promised to release an album of new material in 2015 to follow up three excellent late-career albums, Seeds & Orphans Vols. 1 & 2 (2003, 2009), and My Time in The Desert (2007), but it never materialized. She's only eked out five singles in the last ten years, none of which was that special. She put out some good collaborations with her bands, "Bryndle" and "The Refugees", but (and I hate to say this), she's never surpassed the extraordinary five-album solo career she had on Warner Bros. Records between 1973 and 1978 when she was only in her 20's.

16. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

Back in the late 1990's, I think, Phil Spector wrote to Entertainment Weekly to say that he owned the songs he did with Celine Dion and that he would release them on his own. He never did, and as far as I'm concerned, these songs are rock's holy grail.

17. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

No, it was the new album that was going to be called “Portrait of a Leg End.” The box set of rarities was going to be called “Portrait of a Boot Leg.”

I think they’re both terrible titles.

Billboard

18. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

The lawyers either work for Lynne, Sony, Jet or Mofi. Some lawyers employer stopped it.

Billy Budapest and Anonamemouse like this.
  19. Can't read the link (won't blow up into larger type)... is this the interview with Timothy White?

20. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

It would be really interesting to find a retail music buyer, who was a total pack-rat and had saved all of the new release and reissue solicitation books and one-sheets from the CD era (89 to 2010).
    They would be drowning in paper, but there was all sorts of things that were solicited, but were changed or cancelled.
    I saw a solicitation for a Steve Lukather album called "I Hate Every Bone In Your Body, But Mine"., the label had other ideas.

therealsleepingbeautea

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  21. Jimmy Agates

Alice Cooper was talking of a sequel to his great "Along Came A Spider" album called "The Nightshift" and then he rekindled his relationship with Bob Ezrin and they put out the rather lame "Welcome To My Nightmare 2"

22. Jimmy Agates

Not yet anyway...I find it hard to believe the band spent so much money remastering their entire catalog and it won't get wider release...time will tell.

23. Ludger

Ludger ISthisALLreal, ISthisALLnecessary, ORisTHISaJOKE?

RE: Rufus Wainwright - 'Northern Stars'

Great, I just hope there'll be some copies left when the tour comes to Germany in April!

Jayseph likes this.
  24. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Back in the 90s Universal announced a Marianne Faithfull Decca anthology with a disc of hits and a disc of rarities. Record Collector printed the track listing and it wasn't very exciting but I'm still waiting.

No Bull and Sean like this.
  25. peterpyser

peterpyser Forum Resident

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sadly, Twisted Heart has never been released.

Sean likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.