Help me decide. Would you trade a recapped Marantz 2245 for Thiel 3.5s?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bananas&blow, Feb 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway Thread Starter

Hello,
    I thought this might be a fun exercise. I'm looking to sell my Marantz 2245 pictured below. I have an asking price of $575 on CL locally. I got offered a trade for some Thiel 3.5s. Owner has no idea what year. They are the version with the external bass cross-over. They could be as old as 1989 from what I've read so far.

I don't need speakers but I'm growing increasingly anxious to try a new pair from my B&W CDM 7se's. After comparing, either the Thiels or the B&W's will be hitting the road.

The Marantz is sexy, but my Yamaha A-s801 sounds better.

[​IMG]

2. jfine

jfine Forum Resident

If that's an original blackface 70's marantz, I'd keep it. Not sure the 2245's came that way.

3. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I don’t know anything about it, or the Thiels, but I’d keep the Marantz if it were me.

jeffsab likes this.
  4. Bananas&blow

It's not an original blackface, I bought the faceplate from eBay. Don't think they came that way.

5. mjcmt

mjcmt Forum Resident

I'd trade

6. Helom

Helom Forum member

The Thiels would be my choice if they're in comparable shape. They retailed for $2450 in 89'.

TarnishedEars likes this.
  7. Bananas&blow

2 no's and 2 yes. Perfecto! Let's close the thread!

8. Bananas&blow

They look to be in excellent shape. He claims his audiophile buddies claim they are worth $600-$700. Anyone ever own these puppies? Down the rabbit hole I will go looking for a more powerful amp. Sigh.

9. Bananas&blow

Going to his house in a few hours. Still time to vote!

10. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Do you think you can sell the speaker easier than the Marantz? 30 years old speakers might not worth much as compared to your Marantz....

11. Bananas&blow

True but the speakers might only be 20 years old. The Thiels are trending down in value while the Marantz is trending up in value.

12. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

Keep the Marantz.

jeffsab and longdist01 like this.
  13. h46e55x

h46e55x What if they believe you?

At 20-30 years the speakers could need to be refreshed. If the Thiel 3.5s were something you always wanted then I would go for it. But if it was just a possible speaker option and one your not very familiar with, I would pass.

14. Bananas&blow

I feel like you guys are not taking into account the look on my wife's face when I walk in the door with "MORE SPEAKERS?!?!!??" I mean that's gotta be worth something right?

gov, Clonesteak, G B Kuipers and 2 others like this.
  15. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

I’d be persuaded to pay you the $500 for the Marantz.

16. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

If you have a Yamaha you like better, no need for the Marantz. Trade.

Helom likes this.
  17. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

I'd keep the Marantz, or actually sell it for cash money. Don't you like the B&W?

jeffsab likes this.
  18. Bananas&blow

19. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Check them out. If they are clean and functional I would Trade them.

That's half the fun of Vintage gear. It usually leads to more / different vintage gear!

20. Bananas&blow

Yes I do like them. I have 3 systems and all 3 have B&W speakers. I'm trying to branch out.

boboquisp likes this.
  21. h46e55x

h46e55x What if they believe you?

Well if that is a consideration, I would suggest something from the Tannoy Prestige Gold Reference line. They are big beautiful wood cabinets and with pricing starting at "used car" your wife should be very impressed. I know mine was.

[​IMG]

crazy eights and Bananas&blow like this.
  22. Bananas&blow

I'll trade you the Marantz and my largely incomplete Genesis record collection for them.

ThorensSme likes this.
  23. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

If you need more justification....you can likely be buried in them:)

longdist01, Bananas&blow and ubiknik like this.
  24. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

'...and a lightly used sombrero.'

SirMarc and Bananas&blow like this.
  25. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

I have owned Marantz recievers and Thiel CS3.5 speakers. I like Thiel speakers SO MUCH that I own 4 pair. I just listened to my 3.5 recently, and my friends and I were amazed how wonderful they sound. They needed their woofers re-foamed a few years ago, which I did locally by an electronics store.

The Marantz is beautiful and rarely on the market for resale. EVERYBODY keeps their's for its looks, but its sound is nothing special. The Thiels are also very good looking AND they are one of the best sounding speakers ever made. They are often sold and resold, so their resale value is shockingly low. If your reason is to upgrade sound, dump the Marantz and get a pair of Thiel 3.5 ... the equalizer is VERY good, and does its job of providing VERY low and VERY high quality bass, with little (but some) effect on the mids and highs.

If you decide to own a pair of Thiel speakers, any model, you will need an amplifier that is VERY smooth and romantic in the upper midrange, for "pure" non-electronic sounding female vocals. Tube amps generally sound good with them, but the only solid state amps I have found that are spot-on with the CS3.5 are 20+ year old Classe amps with the DR model number (DR-8,-9, -200, etc) or any Mark Levinson.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    SAMAUL, TarnishedEars, Dave and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.