Disney’s live-action “Aladdin” (May 24, 2019)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Hahahah. Ridiculous. All this Press is simply a matter of “quick let’s get it to print because it’s new. What are they saying on Twitter?”who cares. I’m surprised I didn’t see a headline “Will smith’s blue genie proves actor is ashamed of being a person of color.” Although I’m sure that’ll show up in the next few days

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Probably so. Also, there is the issue of the animated movie having come out when some of the most active commenters were kids, so there's that whole "Disney is polluting my childhood!" nonsense as well.

Looking at the teaser again, once the transition from smoke is finished, as far as I can tell, that is just Will Smith with latex ears, a shaved head with a topknot glued to it and a whole bunch of blue body paint.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Apparently he got off lucky and they’re just going to CGI the color onto his body.

4. Chris DeVoe

OK, that means they can have a lot more fun with it.

Seriously, who judges a 2 hour movie based on a 15 second teaser?

OK, the Internet. Was it a rhetorical question? I guess it was.

MikaelaArsenault and Ghostworld like this.
  5. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Disney is in the midst of a series of live action films remade from their animation canon. I believe the tentative release dates are: a live action 'Drumbo' in March, the live action 'Aladdin' in May, the live action 'Lion King' in July and the live action 'Lady and The Tramp' in October. And that's just this year.

6. Chris DeVoe

They make movies (of public domain properties...while fighting against any of their creations ever entering the public domain.) Why shouldn't they make live action versions of their most beloved animated films if they can? I know they beat the franchise into the ground, but remember how stunned everyone was when the very first Pirates of the Caribbean turned out to actually be really good? A movie based on an amusement part ride?

7. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

I've only seen the teaser the one time, but from what I saw the Will Smith genie looked CG to me....

8. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Just watched it again. Still looks CG.

9. Chris DeVoe

If it is, then it might be an early version of the rendering. State of the art CGI involves actually rendering the layers of skin, capillaries and subcutaneous fat for light to scatter through (we have to do something with all the CPU cycles available these days!)

But I can totally believe that it's an accurate rendition of Smith's body, after he buffed up to play Ali, and has softened up since.

[​IMG]

MikaelaArsenault and Ghostworld like this.
  10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

He’s a big guy now that he’s buff.

11. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I suggest you watch the movie. It's terrific and a big part of it is because of Robin.

12. Chris DeVoe

Yeah, he was crazy-big in Suicide Squad.

[​IMG]

13. Chris DeVoe

It's low on the list of movies I need to see. I've seen enough clips of his manic riffing from that film to repulse me. If I get in the mood to see a Robin Williams film, I'll watch The World According to Garp or The Fisher King.

14. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

And yet, if walks like a duck and quacks like duck... maybe it's just a duck. :D

15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Plus there were two Direct-To-Video sequels to the original Disney animated movie, and a TV series too.

16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

You almost expect the Genie to pop out of the lamp and shout "AW HELL NAW!"

MikaelaArsenault and forthlin like this.
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Beauty and the Beast":

Disney movie: 1991
    Broadway show: 1994
    Live-action movie: 2017

Worldwide gross of 2017 movie "only" 26 years after the original: $1.263 billion...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Looking at that pic of a blue Smith. Wow, that's some hi-tech Lou Ferrigno/Hulk level make-up!;)

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The real reason is why Disney has to remake something we've seen 50 times before. And the danger is (as I said) going to the creative well once too often and making a movie that nobody wants to see.

Naw, it looks like Will Smith's face pin-registered & roto'd onto a blue CGI body.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  20. You're forgetting Aladdin IV: Jafar May Need Glasses... Oh, wait. That one actually was a joke! My bad.

:hide:

21. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Is Will Smith not as popular as he was earlier in his career and his presence in a film doesn't automatically equal box office success?

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No, Smith is no longer the box office gold he was from roughly 1996-2008.

Some of that is self-imposed, as he chose not to work much for a few years, but he's still far from the star he was in his heyday...

MikaelaArsenault and seed_drill like this.
  23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

New trailer.

24. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Maybe this movie is to make up for the TV series version of this franchise. The genie was voiced by Dan Castellaneta, so when I caught it one day, the genie sounded so much like Homer Simpson, it was hard to picture it any other way.

25. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Yikes, I'm afraid this doesn't look so great. I'm not a hater but the acting isn't very convincing. I'll stick with the original animated version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.