Bob Costas in talks to leave NBC

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Aug 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I personally can't stand him.

Except for his commentary in Ken Burns' Baseball. He might make a good MLB Commissioner.

2. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

OTL: The inside story of how Bob Costas got yanked from the Super Bowl

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

An average sportscaster, at best. He’s not as bad as Joe Buck, though. Bob’s good at being a very fair weathered commentator, for sure.

4. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

My sentiments exactly. He could be a lot better if he'd lighten-up a bit.

bpmd1962 and jupiter8 like this.
  5. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Costas is a prime example of when sportscasters take themselves too seriously.

6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I read that this morning and it's really excellent. A long-time friend of mine is a doctor, and has served on the concussion committees for both the players and the team owners. And even though he's seen all the horrible things American style football can do to the brain, he still encouraged his to sons to play. I know some dislike Costas simply because of his politics, he has always struck me as an honest and thoughtful person.

Simon A, AKA and brownie61 like this.
  7. Serious question, is Joe Buck really all that bad?? I honestly have *NO* frame of reference, because I'm not the least bit into sports of any kind (never have been, in all my 50 years).

I will say that when my wife's had the World Series on (when the Royals were playing - she's from KC originally), or certain big NFL games -- I've actually felt like Joe seemed like a super smooth and effective communicator (I mean that all in the very best possible way). Or maybe I was just responding to how he legitimately sounds more and more like his dad with every passing year (famed St. Louis sportscaster Jack Buck -- I grew up in St. Louis listening to him a bit).

And I say all that NOT having been a particular fan of Joe Buck when he and I were at the same school together in St. Louis for about 2 years, and had lockers right next to each other. Let me tell you, 8th grade and High School age Freshman "Joe Buck" was a real jerk, and more than a bit of a bully.

I always tell my wife that he may be a multi-millionaire sportscaster, but at least I've still got all my own hair!! :D

Steve Litos and Chris DeVoe like this.
  8. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I don't have any issue with Joe Buck, but it seems some do. His father was a legend and a class act.

fr in sc likes this.
  9. Chris DeVoe

Dude! You totally missed the opportunity to say "...and you." You don't let an opportunity like that pass!

Comet01 likes this.
  10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I think Joe Buck is pretty good. I guess he can come across as a tad smug/arrogant, but I have no issues with how he calls a game.

Not sure how Costas is as bad as people are saying he is. He digs deeper into sports. So what? So does Bob Ley and Bryant Gumbel. Do they suck automatically because of that?

I liked Costas. I thought he was good.

Comet01 and Rooster_Ties like this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

I suspect it's because he's intelligent and not afraid to show it.

12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

That’s certainly a part of it. He’s not afraid to say what he thinks. I find that admirable. He has been very critical of the NFL and that probably, ultimately, did him in.

The guy knows baseball and other sports. He’s very knowledgeable.

Comet01 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  13. Chris DeVoe

The ESPN Outside The Lines article made it quite clear that it was pressure from the NFL that forced his ouster.

Comet01 and GodShifter like this.
  14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Didn’t see that, but his criticism of the NFL and CTE caused huge problems.

15. Chris DeVoe

You wouldn't think being opposed to cranial trauma that sometimes causes human beings to kill themselves and others would be somehow objectionable, but then I'm not the owner of a football team.

Comet01, PHILLYQ, AKA and 1 other person like this.
  16. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

I’ve always liked and admired Bob, and I think history will vindicate him on his CTE stance. Hopefully with his NBC days behind him, he can call more baseball games for MLB Network.

Jack_Straw, Comet01, Dan C and 3 others like this.
  17. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

Other than my local Pittsburgh sports analysts of the time, Costas (along with Madden/Summerall, Dick Enberg, Vin Scully, Al Michaels, Keith Jackson and a few others) was pretty formative during my youth as a sports fan growing up. He called some memorable events. Always loved his baseball analysis and knowledge, his time with the Olympics, and also his NBA calls throughout the Michael Jordan era. However he is viewed now, Costas was part of childhood growing up.

Comet01 and Simon A like this.
  18. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

He may not have earned it from the ground up, but Joe Buck is good on games. I’m from STL too, and there at least, I think people resent that he’s been much more ubiquitous and successful on the national stage than his father ever was. Jack Buck was God Almighty there, and the fact that just being the radio voice of the Cardinals wasn’t enough for Joe rankles people there.

I think he is bad when he tries to be a ‘personality,’ as in his failed HBO talk show, etc.

As for him being an a$$ at Country Day school, that’s sort of par for that gold-plated course.

19. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Costas went to my High School and he has shunned everything having to do with his alumni there. I think he moved to St. Louis to live a life outside of the NYC limelight. The thing is, he has forgotten where he came from, so to speak and wouldn't be where he is today if not for NBC taking a chance on him.

20. Chris DeVoe

I could have sworn that he moved to St Louis because he married a woman from St Louis.

Comet01 likes this.
  21. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

His first job was calling games for the St. Louis Spirits. Kinda seems to me that would be the reason. Having myself been to St. Louis once, I can't imagine why he would have wanted to stay there. As for his ability, no one has hosted more prime time Olympics in television history. You don't get that job without being great at what you do. He's also a team player. I forget which sport it was but NBC wanted him for play by play and he told them it might be stronger for the show to have I forget who doing it with him in the host position. As one of the above posters said, he's very bright and very witty and that can be something people don't like, especially if they are neither.

Comet01 likes this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

Hey, my family is from St Louis. OK, we moved from there and never wanted to go back...

23. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I don't follow sports at all so I have no opinion on Costas. I did, however, happen to hear a podcast where they were talking about his choice to live in St. Louis. It seems that his reasoning is that with a heavy travel schedule he can be anywhere in the U.S. (more specifically both coasts) within 2-3 hours. Sounds reasonable to me, and the cost of living there is going to be much lower than L.A. or NYC.

24. Chris DeVoe

I live in Kansas City and Chicago, and connect via St Louis. The sad truth is that the suburbs of St. Louis are indistinguishable from the suburbs of any other city - here's the exit with an Applebee's, there's the Urban Outfitters, the outlet mall is three highway exits down...and yeah, getting in and out of the St Louis airport is going to be no easier or more difficult than than any other US airport.

I suspect 90% or more of the people who live in the suburbs outside of St Louis only go downtown when they have to renew their driver's license, attend a Cardinals game or see a concert.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    forthlin likes this.
  25. The local story I heard (in St. Louis), was that Costas and his wife had Ted Drewes Frozen Custard (an old Route 66 haunt, famous in the STL are) as part of the catering at their wedding reception, iirc.

Whether his wife was from St. Louis (or not), I couldn't say -- but Costas certainly had some sort of St. Louis beginnings/connection (even if he didn't grow up there).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.