Sussudio: would've it been accepted if anyone but Phil Collins had sung it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Timmy84, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was happy when he went to live in the States and "threatened" never to return to the UK if a particular political party ruled the day.

I would have voted a particular way just to keep him over there on the other side of the pond fulfilling his promise.

Not a fan obviously.

Rufus rag likes this.
  2. manco

manco Forum Resident

Do you like Huey Lewis & the News?

the pope ondine likes this.
  3. old school

old school Senior Member

I have no idea what you're saying.

4. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident Thread Starter

That Peter is more innovative than Phil... I mean, duh, who didn't know that?

5. Timmy84

They're okay lol

Not too much of a fan of them but the few songs I do remember from them I didn't complain about.

6. Timmy84

I forgot about that stuff. That's why Oasis hated his guts, I think... he has this weird obsession with the Alamo.

SteveM likes this.
  7. manco

manco Forum Resident

Their early work was too new wave for my tastes. They really came into their own in '83 with Sports, both commercially and artistically.

8. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Friday Night Videos watching this video winter, spring 1985.

enro99 and HaileyMcComet like this.
  9. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

To an extent, Gabriel was more innovative than a lot of people.
    What has that got to do with Collins?
    They were in the same band, so what?.... they made innovations together, they appear to be friends.
    Sting and Stewart Copeland were in the same band, they didn't make the same music solo.
    Why is it that when it comes to Gabriel and Collins there is this pathetic need to compare them, as though they are identical twins in some form of social experiment.
    I have all Gabriel's solo albums and i have all Collins' solo albums, they are two completely different types of artist, performer and singer. I like them both.
    I don't understand what the use of comparison is.... it would be like comparing Eno and Ferry.... they were both in the same band, but are completely different artists

Ryan Lux, Jarleboy, davers and 2 others like this.
  10. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

11. old school

old school Senior Member

Obviously you can't have a coherent discussion without a childish remark. I'm done here.

12. manco

manco Forum Resident

mark winstanley likes this.
  13. old school

old school Senior Member

You're not making any sense when you are angry. I'm done wasting time here.

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"RS" didn't criticize the horn section themselves - they just thought that Phil used them in a repetitive way.

BTW, "Rolling Stone" is the mag - Rolling Stones is the band..

15. mark winstanley

Im not angry and that makes perfect sense if you know anything about either of them

Jarleboy likes this.
  16. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I got no time for Phil haters. I may dislike a chunk of his solo career (not all of it by any means), but I have a lot of love for the dude and what he accomplished.

Jarleboy, giantleech, enro99 and 3 others like this.
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You last 2 realize that the "Peter" Timmy84 referenced is Peter Cetera, right?

He says it right there! Cetera, not Gabriel!

18. old school

old school Senior Member

That's your opinion I offered mine. I know Collins & Gabriel very well big Genesis fan from 1970-1977. It's there solo output where I prefer Gabriel by a mile. And Gabriel Genesis obviously.

19. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

The thing is, Phil is not only responsible for 'Sussudio', but the equally awkward 'Abacab'.

20. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I think you can make an argument for The Glory of Love given the enduring popularity of The Karate Kid.

Ryan Lux and davers like this.
  21. mark winstanley

He had the largest collection of Alamo artifacts in the world.
    He went to the US and donated them to a museum and now there is a great Alamo museum courtesy of Phil, what a horrible guy .....

The Space Cowboy and enro99 like this.
  22. mark winstanley

And i have no problem with that, but what does comparing Collins to Gabriel have anything to do with anything.
    He took over the singing job in Genesis almost begrudgingly, and did a great job.
    The changes in Genesis started while Banks held the reigns before Collins even started writing, no matter what anyone says about being an equal unit.
    When Collins went big time with his first solo album the band wanted to consolidate on that popularity ....
    Collins was hardly the bogeyman in any of it. He had his heart broken, made an album, and people loved it.
    Gabriel left essentially because he was tired of banging heads with his childhood friend Banks ...
    Nothing to do with Collins.
    Whether one likes Phil's solo work or not is fairly redundant.... i don't like all Brian Ferry's solo work, but it doesn't mean i have to pit him in some invisible battle with Brian Eno.

Jarleboy and HaileyMcComet like this.
  23. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

What the Hell is going on???? Why all the hate toward Phil Collins? Is there something I'm missing? He was (is) an incredibly talented musician (and drummer) who was an integral part of one the best progressive rock bands to grace our planet. He was talented enough to branch out into other genres........is this the reason for the hate? And now people are going to bag on him because he's collected Alamo artifacts?

24. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I looked at the Wikipedia article about Phil Collins. There is even a large section of the article about him concerning criticism he has received. It is an interesting read, if you haven't already. It looks like the criticism was much, much more than just prog fans (or old PG era Genesis fans ) who didn't like the pop hits. In fact, those types aren't really part of the discussion.

Phil Collins - Wikipedia

Scott

25. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Most people consider his solo career to be a bore that catered to yuppies (yuck) and represented the worst excesses of the 1980s.

He's the opposite cool, really.

abzach and Rufus rag like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.