CCR drummer Doug Clifford says band's full Woodstock performance is expected to be released in 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by arisinwind, Feb 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arisinwind

arisinwind Visitor Thread Starter

CCR drummer Doug Clifford says band's full Woodstock performance is expected to be released in 2019
    Creedence Clearwater Revival was among the many famous acts that played the 1969 Woodstock Music and Arts Fair, which celebrates its 50th anniversary this August. CCR didn't appear in the Oscar-winning 1970 film documenting the historic festival, but the band's drummer, Doug "Cosmo" Clifford, reveals that the group's full set likely will be released this year in conjunction with the anniversary.

"We fought for 50 years over [releasing the performance], and now it looks like it's finally…gonna be out there," Clifford tells ABC Radio. "So, I'm excited about that, and hopefully the fans will be excited about it as well."

Doug didn't specify whether both audio and video of CCR's Woodstock set would be released.

In his 2015 autobiography Fortunate Son, Creedence frontman John Fogerty admits that he vetoed having the band included in the movie, maintaining that he wasn't happy with the group's overall performance.

Clifford says he felt differently. "I'm sorry that we weren't in the movie," he tells ABC Radio. "That wasn't my decision. But we were there…and we had a big part of it being as grand as it was, just by virtue of saying 'yes' to the [organizers'] offer."

CCR was near the height of its popularity at the time of Woodstock. The band hit the stage at 12:30 a.m. -- much later than scheduled -- during the festival's second night, between The Grateful Dead and Janis Joplin.

Last year, Creedence Clearwater Revival marked its own 50th anniversary by releasing a vinyl box set called The Complete Studio Albums featuring remastered versions of their seven studio LPs.

2. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I hope this comes to fruition...

3. siebrand

siebrand music lover

I love CCR.
    Always did so.
    It would be nice to get such a box with sacd's...

Dave Armstrong likes this.
  4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

From the little footage I've sat through, I think Fogerty's criticism is way too harsh. Maybe it wasn't their most stellar performance ever...but that can easily be said for other "classic" performances that *were* in the film like CSN and The Who (and truth be told, Hendrix)...but what these performances lacked in precision-performance, they more than made up for in atmosphere.

RickH, Dodoz, pexie and 21 others like this.
  5. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Its better than the Fillmore West closing show.

6. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

I always thought it was a good performance.

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'll buy it!

8. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

That already occurred with the Analogue Productions SACD set. It was expensive however.

mark winstanley and BeatlesBop like this.
  9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

50 years... The magic number.

I'm sure someone sat John down and told him: "Either you let it out or the effing copyright loophole scum is gonna do it."

10. ^^^^…….and a vinyl box at 45rpm by our host

Michael likes this.
  11. +1

12. Michael

how can we not?! : )

13. Michael

and CD!

14. Glad it’s coming out either way and nice that it’s being done in conjunction with the band but if it wasn’t for the ‘copyright loophole’ we would never have it, so too bad, so sad for the cantankerous and bitter John Fogerty, looks like this time his former band-mates and the fans win! :agree:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019

15. and some DCC vinyl at 33 1/3

16. Michael

Indeed! let us all have our favorite formats!

17. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

And MiniDisc mastered by Jurgen Crasser.

18. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I'm in. Hope they do video and audio.

19. :biglaugh:

20. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

There's been a fan edition patched together from various sources I've heard, so it would be nice to have an all around better recording. Also seen a lot of video, not sure if they filmed the entire set, I wouldn't have thought so but CCR were pretty important at the time I guess even if a notch lower than live Hendrix being documented.

Performance is not as good as the Albert Hall appearance, but it was an outdoor thing.

21. Argus1

Argus1 Well-Known Member

I have the CCR Woodstock set. The mix is sorta bad because the drums are a little hot. I brought the thing more as document of the Woodstock vs performance. Nothing very outstanding but it was performed at Woodstock which makes it worth having. Having said that I will still buy this version.

dee, Fullbug, Jimmy B. and 4 others like this.
  22. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Nice! Also, hope there's a big Woodstock '69 anniversary box set coming this year, with full gigs of at least some of the other involved artists.

23. Argus1

Argus1 Well-Known Member

The guy who did the last big Woodstock box has listened to all of the music from all three days, sorry can't think of his name. But the impression I got was it was very cool but there is something up with one of the sets. Maybe the set was recorded over or something like that. I would like to hear the complete Mountian set. Another problem is not all of the bands will sign the release because they feel their set was not all that great. But maybe after 50 years they will change their minds. A complete three days of every band would be great.

24. Lefty Wright

Lefty Wright Forum Resident

Wait, doesnt that scumbag Saul Zaentz's estate still get a percentage of CCR releases, including those released by Craft Records? I'll never purchase a CRR release for this reason, only Fogerty albums, for this reason (unless I am misinformed).

Fullbug and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

Imagine a download link to 3 full days, following the same schedule as the original show!! It's free but you can only play it once, and there's no pause button :)

Saw some recent CCR (minus Fogerty) on youtube and was struck by just just how goddamn good they SOUND. They may not write but JF lost a lot when he split from them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.