Sussudio: would've it been accepted if anyone but Phil Collins had sung it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Timmy84, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

So what?

2. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Sussudio was a catchy song, not a favorite, but listenable.

I don't see it as a problem for his successful career.

Jarleboy and Timmy84 like this.
  3. mark winstanley

I have no idea ... it is mind boggling

Talisman954 and Dr. Funk like this.
  4. old school

old school Senior Member

It was the OP who claimed Phil Collins was the greatest since sliced bread. I offered my opinion to his contrary that's all no offense to anyone.

5. mark winstanley

I didn't read it that way, but that's cool.

6. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

it's amazing the amount of hate and venom people spew on social media....yeah, he had a few stinkers during his solo career, but that shouldn't define his entire career........Sheesh. I'll take Phil Collins body of work over a lot of other musicians who are praised on this forum.

7. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

Supposedly he dumped his ex wife Jill by fax and according to him that is when the press destroyed him.
    He went from hero to zero and that combined with his Mr Nice guy reputation, pretty much ruined him in the UK.
    That seemed to spread.
    Me personally he is the soundtrack to my youth, Genesis and Phil.
    His first 2 albums remain 2 of my favorite albums ever, along with Duke and Genesis Genesis.
    As for 1999 first track on No Jacket it really didn’t grab me at all, after the brilliance of Hello I Must Be Going I was hoping for more songs like Thru These Walls, instead we got One More Night, still not bad but this was when Phil stopped meaning as much in my world.
    Looking back I can find more to like now on those later albums, but the balladeer, groovy kind of love, two hearts , duet with Marilyn Martin, Easy Lover type stuff just left me cold.

8. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

And sold more records

mark winstanley likes this.
  9. mark winstanley

Whether someone likes his work or not, doesn't concern me really, but it seems to be this connection to Genesis... and also the fact that this short, balding, r&b loving guy had more success than they deem acceptable.
    I mean now someone is trying to discredit him because in their opinion he isn't cool ... what has that got to do with anything .... i mean this guy arranged the music for one of the best prog bands there was... he played drums exceptionally well and added a nice splash of colour backing up Gabriel's vocals.
    Against his preference he ended up taking over the singing and did a great job of that too.
    His dedication to his job in Genesis pretty much cost him his marriage... that sparked writing, which created one of the monster selling albums of all time .... in his favoured style of music. Which much to many folks complaint wasn't art or prog rock .....

It all sounds like spiteful petty jealousy to me

Jarleboy, Pete Puma, Timmy84 and 2 others like this.
  10. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

I think we should stop discussing Sussudio and listen to Both Sides, his best album in my book.
    Obviously this is not a popular opinion but this album deserves more love.

11. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

That was debunked years ago. While in the midst of his divorce, he did fax his soon to be ex-wife regarding a matter concerning his daughter, and that's what was published. It had nothing to do with initiating the dissolving of the marriage.

The UK press have no integrity. If they can destroy someone for money, they'll do it. Even if the story's false. Come to think of it, its like that in the US as well.

12. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Only saw Phil Collins once and it was in a small club with Brand X around 77/78. Before the show the DJ was playing a Genesis song [can't remember which one?] and Collins sent a roadie out of the dressing room to tell the DJ to turn it off. Never liked his personality since then but won't deny his 'undeniable' talent.

mark winstanley and tug_of_war like this.
  13. ironbutterfly

ironbutterfly Listening to marky mark in mono

If Paul Simon wrote and sang it. It would make everyones best songs ever list

14. Talisman954

I didn’t say it was true, it’s just what was in every newspaper at the time, and that totally destroyed his reputation.
    He even talks about it in the 3 hour documentary called I think No Ordinary Life.
    As for the UK press they are the scum of the earth.

Jarleboy and mark winstanley like this.
  15. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

davers and mark winstanley like this.
  16. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Agreed. The Gabriel theatrics did nothing for me. Once Phil became the singer, we got better and more concise tunes that flirted with Pop, R&B, and even Jazz at times.

Ed

17. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

"We Built This City" seems to cop some derision ;)

Biscuit Warehouse likes this.
  18. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Got 'cha. Just setting the record straight, it wasn't meant to be accusatory towards you.

19. Talisman954

All good I didn’t take it that way.

20. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Gabriel theatrics does nothing for me either.
    On the other hand, I can't complain about his music. :love:

21. mark winstanley

He never wanted his projects to be effected by each other.
    That's why he signed to a different label for the solo albums. He wanted each thing to succeed or fail on its own merits.

22. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

Cardi B

23. mark winstanley

I like his solo stage shows ... the genesis costumes were ok, but just weird really.
    I'm all about the music. Dress up if you want, but write and/or record good songs is what it's about for me.
    I like Genesis' stuff
    I like Gabriel's stuff
    I like Collins' stuff

24. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Considered uncool by whom?

Also, once we get past the age of 17, does being "cool" or "uncool" really matter?

I was never much of a fan of Sussudio, although it is a good dance tune. His 80's hits were very hit or miss for me. I really like I Don't Care Anymore, Two Hearts, Take Me Home and Against All Odds. I really didn't like One More Night and A Groovy Kind of Love. I loved and still absolutely adore Easy Lover that he did with Philip Bailey.

Jarleboy and mark winstanley like this.
  25. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

What songwriting success did Starship have behind them?

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.