'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

This is my experience as well, even with other titles. I had Out To Lunch for such a long time on CD, but I never really got into it. One day, I saw an MM version at the original low price at my local music store. I bought it on impulse and I was surprised on how much I like it on vinyl.

Jimmy Cooper, scotti and MondoFanM like this.
  2. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Personally, I can't fathom why anyone would hesitate on any Chick Corea acoustic trio setting, ever. He is one of the all-time masters of that format. It cannot go wrong. :D

3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I used to have the Chick album on CD and always kinda liked it. Never considered it top tier but a solid effort and I bet the new LP sounds a hell of a lot better than the CD. If it goes down a bit in price I may pick it up.
    I absolutely love ETC, and I am really looking forward to the Sam Rivers and Dexter Gordon titles.

4. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Any recommended sources for in stock ETC in the US, other than Amazon?

BTW, the 2013 HD Tracks digital remastered version (24/192) is superb. I can't wait to hear the AAA version.

5. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

FedEx was out on the road Friday with my copies. He bailed at the sight of snow and returned to base. Out for delivery again this morning and he headed back to base about 2pm as snow reached 5". It could be another day or 4 before I get my copies.

chuckgay likes this.
  6. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

Not sure how I missed all 39 pages of this thread until now, but I'm ecstatic to grab a copy of this Wayne Shorter release. Amazon has been offering a "coupon" on the product page off and on, making it about $30.

7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

So is the Wayne Shorter ETC already sold out and awaiting repress?

Ordered mine pretty quickly from ElusiveDisc and both them and Music Direct are apparently out of stock/awaiting repress.

8. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Yeah.

I think I got the last one from Acoustic Sounds.

scotti, Joti Cover and recstar24 like this.
  9. Elofan

Elofan Forum Resident

Geee....i was thinking about getting an extra copy of ETC.... guess have to wait now...

10. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I guess I was lucky, I casually pre ordered the week it came out after hemming and hawing over it and was able to procure a copy on release day. Kudos to the crew for a great start!

11. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I thought I was getting my replacement Etc today until Amazon notified me they are delayed delivering it, using their own carriers. This happens a lot. Orders are delivered much more reliably when Amazon uses the mainstream carriers. Guess I'll crack open some Zin and listen to some Mahler instead.

12. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

Got the Chick Corea and the Wayne Shorter today. The Corea is incredible music and a flawless pressing. There's a lot of nearly silent space on this and there was maybe 3 light ticks on all of Side 1. Almost a religious experience, TBH.

Etc was not so great. There's a loud once-per-revolution pop on most of cut 2, side 1, which is a very quiet ballad. I bought off Amazon, so I'll return and try for a non-defective copy. Great albums though, happy to have them available.

13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

On a positive note the Chick Corea is indeed a winner. Classy presentation and very good sound.

djost, scotti and Joti Cover like this.
  14. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Why an extra copy?

15. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I ordered on the 3rd or 4th day and have a march 8 to april 8 delivery date. Canada is a little bit second tier but these are not limited runs so shoukd be no problem that patience cant solve

16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yep. These are going to be all awesome Im thinking, so I can definitely be patient. Wayne Shorter being my favorite though, its a little nagging that Ill have to wait. But no huge deal.

Stu02 likes this.
  17. Amazon says they will get more stock of ETC 2/14.

When I ordered my replacement, it said In Stock Feb 13th. I received it today.

Happy to find after having 2 damaged covers in my original order, both of my replacements are perfect, though Shorter had no bag as some others have reported. Listening to the replacement Correa now as the first one was pretty noisy even after a cleaning in addition to the busted jacket. This one has been very quiet thus far (knock on wood).

I've been looking over the rest of the upcoming releases and I have to say, what a treat this series looks to be. Here's to much success for the first 18 and hopefully much beyond!:cheers:

scotti and mpayan like this.
  18. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

I cleaned these 2, 5 SRX and the Duke Pearson today. I havent been cleaning in the last couple of years very much and i do know it makes a difference. Going to try and tackle the rest of the SRX tomorrow if i can get the baby to take a good nap.

On the Amazon ETC exchange, the second copy was open and Chick was open too. No big deal as visually the vinyl looked flawless.

19. chuckgay

chuckgay Forum Resident

I am so envious of everyone. My pre-orders were scheduled for delivery on Friday, but every day (it seems) I sit and wait for my delayed shipment notification from UPS. Pesky little bit of Seattle area snow. Ok, it's been two days/twice... but the more I read of this thread, it feels like forever.

20. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

I just ordered the Chick Corea lp from Elusive Disc....I was both glad + surprised it was still in stock.

21. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Talked with my local shop yesterday and they still have no sign of ETC...I do find it interesting that two of the main distributors for the Indie and other various locations have never had this title yet. I had both on preorder from the beginning and only could get the Corea. Thinking about using a different source for the remaining 16 titles as well as ETC if they don't get word soon. Like many of us, I enjoy getting new releases on their proper release date...It is more than obvious that Amazon does get priority at times...

22. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

As of last night....Amazon had both of the "Tone Poet" Lp's available.

23. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Available and in stock are different though...ETC shows in stock 2/14 for now...

24. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Hooray, Amazon just got it back in stock this morning!

SoundDoctor likes this.
  25. mike.

mike. Forum Resident

I didn't even know about these til I saw a comment on a YouTube video reviewing the SRX vinyl from Music Matters. Definitely picking up the Countours reissue. Hopefully they're decent...

SoundDoctor, scotti and Fender Relic like this.