Cheap non felt 3mm turntable mat

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gasolin, Feb 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gasolin

gasolin Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have a new turntable and want to upgrade the 3mm felt mat to something better than felt, i just don't want to spent to much since it's a basic and simple upgrade for a not expensive turntable.

I guess my only choice is a cork mat in 3 mm to get less static electricity and generally just a better sound, i live in europe so it has to be with free shipping or just a low price with shipping.

Any sugestions?

2. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

3. gasolin

4. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I really dont understand changing mats. Unless you have some crazy expensive equipment it probably wont make a real difference.

Optimize and enfield like this.
  5. gasolin

It just some basic upgrade to avoid static electricity and the improvemnet a different material gives.

6. Leonthepro

7. gasolin

o_O

8. Leonthepro

Do some testing when you get yours.

9. gasolin

In fact i have a lot of turntable mats, acrylic,leather,cork and felt, just dont have something in 3mm and i usually use something in the same thickness as the standard mat to avoid vta problems.

As already mentioned i only use a cheap but for me good turntable, so i wanted a cheap mat and i would avoid vta problems by using a mat in 3mm.

The one i bought is made out of Natural Cork & Caoutchouc

Just googled it Natural rubber, also called India rubber or caoutchouc (to my surpise) i have read that it's a good materials for turntbale mats.

10. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

If you have an expensive turntable you should not have to change the mat as the record / platter interface provided is integral to the design (Michell, SME etc). I don't see the sense of adding mats to acrylic platters at any price. For some cheaper TTs and maybe Technics models they may make a difference and at least change the character. It is a long held belief that flat mats perform better than ribbed mats but that is open to argument. Certainly some claim improvements to Technics G/GAE with fairly exotic mats and even affordable cork designs.

11. Classicrock

That test is likely the reverse of reality! He should just get an RCM.

Mbe likes this.
  12. BrilliantBob

Because I replaced the cartridge, I changed the VTA by replacing the TT stock mat (5mm) with this one (3mm). Sounds better. Besides, cork+rubber mat is antistatic and the die cast aluminium platter resonance seems to be reduced.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  13. Leonthepro

And yet the results show otherwise.

14. Leonthepro

Never heard a comparison where the sound is different nor do I think that changing the VTA/SRA by like half a degree changes the sound on an Elliptical stylus. Sorry.

15. Classicrock

In my experience felt is by far the worst for static. Sticks to your record as you lift it off.

16. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I've similar experiences. Before I got in to Michell decks I used to have turntables with mats and soundwise I got the best results with either cork or leather mats.

17. BrilliantBob

With that huge rubber mat Sony provided with the TT, when I lifted off any record from the platter I always felt electrostatic discharges in my fingers. This never happend with the Tonar cork+rubber 3mm mat. I don't need any other "scientific" tests wich demonstrate the rubber mat is better than cork+rubber mat.

GyroSE likes this.
  18. Leonthepro

Maybe because cork and rubber is too heavy to lift with it.

19. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Not a cheep alternative but I use Herbie's foam rubber mats on an acrylic platter and it works great. Adding the equipped record clamp overly deadens the sound.

Mats, plural, because I have both a way excellent mat and Grungebuster. I haven't spent much time with the Grungebuster but preliminary tests haven't shown enough difference on my table between the two.

20. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Search the auction site for "rubber turntable mat". I see a UK seller has a couple used ones of different sizes, and will ship to Denmark, and total cost should be under 15 euros.

21. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Why does it have to be 3mm? Do you not have VTA adjustment on your table???

22. BrilliantBob

I bought the Sony PS-HX500 TT with $400 for its recording performances. For needle drops. Like any other cheap TT, the tonearm is simple because is designed only for the cheap cartridge with which it comes from the factory. Without the possibility to adjust the VTA or the azimuth. This becomes a headache when you want to change the cartridge. Any alternative solution is welcome (different mat size, a spacer between headshell and cartridge,...).

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  23. TheVinylAddict

I just went around to my TTs (I have a few of them :)) and measured up some mats --- the stock mats on my Denon, Kenwood, Pioneer were all too thick, at 4mm+.

Now bare with me, the next step is using combinations of things maybe if you can't find 3mm exactly -- first some raw measurements.

There is a Technics mat I have on a few SL-1200's --- RGS0008 --- which you can still get --- but it's 2.7mm. The felt mat that comes with Technics is 1.5mm, those are findable. (two times 1.5 equals.... :))

I also have Vinyl Styl cork mat ($10 - $15) which is 2.3mm. Then have a Jakes deerhide mat at 1.75mm. But he advertises as thick as 2mm.

Note on one of my turntables, I actually have the cork Vinyl Styl with the Jakes deerhide on top --- one reason is I needed some boost, second, I think it makes a great combo!! But its too thick at near 4mm for your needs.

Now some combo ideas:

Somewhere around here I have a 1mm mat made of Eppco tool box drawer liner --- I use this stuff literally EVERYWHERE, and have used as an under layer mat before ---- that and a Jakes deerhide at 2mm makes a great combo. I have used that before.

Or maybe get anything under 3mm, like the RGS0008 I mentioned above (popular mat) and make an under-layment with something around the house --- like I did with the tool box liner. Or even 2 Technic felt mats at 1.5mm a piece!!

My point is with a little ingenuity, the options are endless..... hey maybe for the cost of postage I could mail you the 1mm Eppco mat I made.... if it is something that might be able to help you get where you need to be. (after typing that I saw you are in ROmania though.... so maybe the postage is not a good idea as it wouldn't be cheap!)

You could also experiment with spacers between the headshell and cartridge as you said....

BrilliantBob likes this.
  24. BrilliantBob

Thank you for help, but the shipping cost is some kind of theft. I replaced the 5mm stock rubber mat with the 3mm cork+rubber Tonar mat and is OK. No more electrostatic clicks and pops and the VTA seems to be fixed. Distortion and sibilance gone.

The spacer is already mounted!

[​IMG]

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  25. TheVinylAddict

Bob - that's Brilliant! :)

Cheers....

BrilliantBob likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.