The Devil in the White City (Scorcese and Di Caprio) sadly going to Hulu

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Feb 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

The long-gestating film project is not going to wind up on the big screen, but instead will be a series on Hulu.

On the positive side, this means that they'll have the time to focus on the building of the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago, where I expect the movie would skimp on that to concentrate on the story of the serial killer H.H. Holmes.

But on the negative side, it's going to be a TV show. And it's going to be on one of the more useless pay channels.

https://news.avclub.com/leonardo-dicaprio-and-martin-scorsese-teaming-with-hulu-1832535651

unclefred, Mr. H, GodShifter and 2 others like this.
  2. That80sBaldAsianBadGuy

That80sBaldAsianBadGuy Forum Resident

You probably can purchase the episodes on Amazon Prime few days after it airs anyway

3. Chris DeVoe

This is going to be on Hulu though.

4. That80sBaldAsianBadGuy

That80sBaldAsianBadGuy Forum Resident

Yes but Amazon Prime normally puts out aired tv shows on their website days after it airs. It didn't matter if it was a HBO, SHO, FX and Starz show, they were available for purchase at amazon few days later. It cost between $3 to $4 for an episode though. They had the Hand Maiden's Tale episodes for purchase a week after it aired

jupiter8 and Ghostworld like this.
  5. Chris DeVoe

If it was $1 an episode, I might consider it.

6. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

That's what I expected too. I have no interest in the murders, but for some reason am fascinated by old world's fairs and amusement parks.

Chris DeVoe and Wes_in_va like this.
  7. Chris DeVoe

Yeah, I found myself skimming over the parts about Holmes, fascinated by the fair and how it was coming together. I just want to see that world. Chicago is my home, and the sheer scale of the thing is amazing. I found this interactive map that allows you to scroll back and forth between a map of the fair and modern Chicago.

On its 125th birthday, what's still left from the 1893 World's Fair in Chicago?

8. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I just finished reading the book. The description of the fair and its social impact is fascinating. The Holmes part certainly is macabre. The Toronto connection was interesting to me.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'm sure they're going to skip the building the World's Fair part and go straight to the bludgeoning. Hey, it's a movie.

10. Chris DeVoe

There have always been serial killers. There has only been one White City.

GodShifter, longdist01 and Ghostworld like this.
  11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Well, it ain't called "White City and the Devil." Lol.

If Leo is HHH, then....,

12. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Can't imagine why it would not go to the big screen

13. Chris DeVoe

Holmes was worse than Hannibal Lecter in some ways - baking a woman to death, for example.

14. Chris DeVoe

They've been trying for years, and no studio wanted to come up with the budget needed to realize the White City. There is a hole between a ten million dollar budget and a hundred million dollar one for theatrical release. Computer graphics have gotten cheaper, but it's still a huge amount of labor.

15. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

If you are interested in the World's Colombian Exposition of 1893, you should get the book The Chicago World's Fair of 1893 - A Photographic Record.

The 100 page paper back book is chock-block full of great photos on every page as well as great text.
    Text is by Stanley Appelbaum and photos from the collections of Avery Library of Columbia University and The Chicago Historical Society.

ISBN No. 0-486-23990-C
    Library of Congress No. 79-54712

It is available from Amazon for about $15, as are about 4 or 5 other books about the fair and White City.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

And The Devil in the White City is a creepy story, but a very interesting and compelling one.

longdist01 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  16. Chris DeVoe

I've got that one at home in my library! Seconded!

My one disappointment in The Devil in the White City was the lack of anything significant about Tesla and Westinghouse lighting the whole place up. It was electricity's "coming out party."

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    SandAndGlass, dewey02 and longdist01 like this.
  17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

no BD later?

longdist01 likes this.
  18. Chris DeVoe

I'd hope so. Vickie is even more annoyed than I am, because we both have been waiting for this for a very long time. We wanted to see the magnificence of the White City on a 30 ft wide movie screen.

She really doesn't want to watch anything other than in the theater these days.

Literally the only television program she watches in any given year are the Golden Globes and the Oscars.

Michael likes this.
  19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

maybe someday they will have a special showing...never know.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That is such a weird, weird, weird story. Did you see on the recent NBC series Timeless, they made a stab ;) at telling this story as a 1-hour episode.

21. Chris DeVoe

No I didn't but again I expect they probably really concentrated on the serial killer who managed to build a "murder hotel" equipped with a crematorium.

Vidiot likes this.
  22. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Stinks that this will be on Hulu.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  23. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

I don't think Hulu is any more or less useless than any other streaming service but I understand your disappointment that it won't make it to theaters.

Unfortunately, this is going to become more common going forward.

Perhaps it will lead to people starting co-op or community movie theaters with large screen projection like shared space projects (if the legal rights issues can be worked out of course).

jupiter8 likes this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

The problem is that there's going to be a dozen streaming services, and in the end you'll wind up paying more for all of them than you're currently paying for your cable subscription.

25. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I enjoyed the book and that was enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.