The Devil in the White City (Scorcese and Di Caprio) sadly going to Hulu

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Feb 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

Very true. Many people predicted this when there was a call for "unbundling" of cable channels way back when, ignoring how the more expensive channels subsidized the less popular ones.

I don't have cable Tv so I use Hulu to catch up on the handful of network shows I still follow.

Who knows if Hulu will really survive the Fox/Disney merger anyway.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

I can understand that view, but reading it made me want to see this world. 28 million people came to see that fair - nearly a quarter of the population of the country at the time.

longdist01 likes this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

My problem is that a quarter of my cable bill went to ESPN which I never watched.

Greg Gee and Exit Flagger like this.
  4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

pretty much fed up with all different channels out there today, and all competing with one another for movies, etc.

'spotlight" just came on showtime and 'manchester by the sea" still hasn't made it to spectrum (which offers HBO, cinemax, starz, showtime and TMC)

this is on amazon prime that is on hulu, this is on netflix, and on and on and on.

i have found myself reaching the point where i could give a ****. if its not on cable i won;t see it, and i don;t care anymore.

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

If I enjoyed the book I love seeing the book come to life! sometimes good sometimes bad

6. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

My mother often told me stories about going to the "White City Amusement Park" that was built in 1905 after the Columbian exposition. This was just an amusement park, but had some references back to White City, with its tall Electrical Tower and the pond for Chute the Chutes. It closed during the Great Depression and never reopened.
    [​IMG]

History repeats itself, I guess because I tell my kids about going to Riverview in the early 1960's and riding the parachutes and the Shoot the Chutes ride, and that the park closed after 1966. And my children will likely tell their children about going to Six Flags in Gurnee.

[​IMG]

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's why I buy BD! even if it's not available immediately it usually will show up eventually...there's always something else to watch in the interim...

longdist01 likes this.
  8. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

ExpoMagic of the White City (2005)

Narrated by Gene Wilder

9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Extremely disappointed this is going to Hulu. I don’t particularly care of the channel or the majority of its content. I had hoped for a theatrical release for this.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  10. Chris DeVoe

If you're in a huge city, there might be a token theatrical showing.

GodShifter likes this.
  11. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I will watch it some how.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  12. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

Great news. While far from ideal, I'd rather it be made and rolled out on Hulu then never made at all.
    I really enjoyed the book, it was a nice mix of city planning and murder. Who knew that would be an interesting mix?
    I just purchased Erik Larson's new book, “The Splendid and the Vile”. I've read all of his books, looking forward to this new one.

longdist01 and unclefred like this.
  13. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

How did I miss that one! Churchill is one of the greatest men of our times.

Bruce Racket and longdist01 like this.
  14. CTabler

CTabler Well-Known Member

I'm also fascinated by the Holmes story. But a large part of it was fabricated by the press back in the day and perpetuated in the current zeitgeist. I'd be amazed if this ever sees the light of day. And who needs another look-alike loud, dark, grim TV series full of F-bombs, violence and torture that looks like it was filmed through a snot bubble?

15. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Does anything ever 'happily' go to Hulu?

16. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Marty has said on camera that places like Netflix and Hulu are the only places for anything that's not a superhero movie. That's just how it is now. His words, not mine, so don't go quoting me trying to pick a fight, I'm just contributing, as I didn't see another post mentioning this.

longdist01 and DigMyGroove like this.
  17. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

The book was awesome. Hope this gets made.

18. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I think there are two main challenges adapting this book:

—one is the contrast between the incredibly macabre, outlandish story of Holmes, which would be hard to believe even in a movie, and the comparatively "normal" story of putting together the World’s Fair, which was interesting to read about as history, but seems like it could be difficult to translate into drama, though depicting the fair would be visually interesting. I felt whiplash as a reader going back and forth between, say, Holmes gassing people to death in their hotel rooms, and architects arguing over designs — I think this dichotomy would be even more pronounced on film.

—and two, while the two halves of the book take place simultaneously, down the street from each other, and there is some overlap (visitors to the fair stayed at the death hotel, and Holmes visited the fair at least once)... ultimately, they are mostly two separate stories running in parallel. It’s fine in the sprawl of a nonfiction book, but in dramatic form I think you’d want the strands to dovetail more. The final chapters of Holmes’ reign of terror didn’t even take place in Chicago.

So it doesn't surprise me it's taken a while to wrestle into a workable script, especially if they were trying for a feature at first.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  19. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I must be missing something with all the dumping on Hulu

20. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Not surprised. As another poster stated above, the story of Holmes and his "Murder Castle" that has been passed down over the past century is total hogwash. There were no rooms with metal walls with gas jets for roasting people alive*, hidden torture rooms, etc., or a lab in the basement used for the mass processing of bodies and skeletons for sale to medical schools. It wasn't even a hotel in the normal sense, more of an extended stay boarding house or apartment, of which there were a number of long-term residents. Even most of the supposed three hundred or so people said to have been killed there have been accounted for. Holmes is thought to have only killed nine people (and of those, only three were at the "Castle"), and did so out of convenience and for profit, not out of some psycho-sadistic impulse.

For anyone looking to delve further into the story, Chicago historian Adam Selzer is the undisputed expert on Holmes, and he has written several books (as well as a website), dedicated to the debunking of the "White City Devil" myth:

https://www.amazon.com/H-Holmes-History-White-Devil/dp/1510713433

Adam Selzer's Astonishing Chicago Tours – "That astonishing Chicago.. always achieving new impossibilities" – Mark Twain

Still, even though he wasn't the twisted killer of legend, he was still a amoral sociopath and killer nonetheless, a conman who killed those who had the misfortune to have inconvenienced him in the execution of his myriad petty grifts.

* There was a steel-walled vault on the third floor, with a gas line run for illumination, which not doubt served as the inspiration for this myth. One of the three "Castle" victims was said to have been asphyxiated there when Holmes locked her in it with the gas on and the pilot light turned off, but she was not "roasted alive."

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  21. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

Stephen King fans may disagree, but I thought Hulu did a pretty good job with 11.22.63.

DigMyGroove likes this.
  22. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I’m in favor of large, rich, historical novels being done for premium cable or streaming services. If done as a two or three hour feature you would find much of the content cut. A series of at least six episodes lets the story play out as it should.

I like Hulu and have been a subscriber for at least five or six years. I have the premium service with no ads. I first subscribed so I could see network shows on demand, but have enjoyed their original content. Casual was a great half hour dramady. The Handmaid’s Tale, 11/22/63, and The First were all very well done IMHO. Even if one us opposed to signing on long term that doesn’t matter. Subscribe, watch the series you’re interested in and then cancel, easy!

23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

No theatrical release, no dvd?
    No good ... to me.

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Dvd available:righton:

25. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Hulu has been on fire in 2020 with High Fidelity, Mrs. America, Little Fires Everywhere, and Devs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.