Bought myself some Schiit x 3! Interconnect question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dan, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan

Dan Senior Member Thread Starter

I bought a Magni, Modi and a Loki at a good price. It's my first foray into these devices and I've been trying to read through various threads about interconnects.

I'm trying to be as neat as possible, a stretch for me at the moment (LOL). Am I trying to be too obsessive about trying to find short cables?

I want decent cables, however if they cost more than all three of these devices, I'd like to avoid that. Thanks.

crazy eights likes this.
  2. crazy eights

crazy eights Truckstop Lovechild

if you're going to stack them the cables from schiit are just fine, blue jeans cables are also affordable and they will customize them to any length you specify

[​IMG] [​IMG]

and i have to work on resizing my pics

billnunan, arley and 33na3rd like this.
  3. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Congrats on your new gear!

The only advice that I can offer is to remind you that Magni, Modi, & Loki are very compact components. I would look for IC's that are flexible enough so that they won't physically move your equipment around. Sometimes shorter cables have less flex than a longer version of the same cable.

If you're going to stack your new trio, Schiit actually sells some 6 inch RCA IC's that might fit your needs.

Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.

@crazy eights beat me to it!

Dan and crazy eights like this.
  4. crazy eights

haha i finally bought a phone that takes pics and the novelty hasn't worn off yet

and to Dan enjoy!

action pact, 33na3rd and Dan like this.
  5. Dan

Nice. I didn't see those. Yes, I probably will stack them for convenience sake. I may play around with the Loki in my office TT setup, but that's another issue which I have covered.

33na3rd likes this.
  6. Dan

Thanks. Are you using your stack with a CD transport, computer, both?

7. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

@crazy eights, what are the other black jacketed IC's in your photo? They look nice.

8. crazy eights

ghentaudio --- A09 Canare L-4E6S RCA (M to M) Audio Cables

Canare L-4E6S RCA, nice cables straight from the manufacturer, incredibly quick shipping considering the distance they have to travel, i'm very happy with them, virtually indestructible (they're mic cords made to stand up to a lot of abuse)

Jcashfan and 33na3rd like this.
  9. crazy eights

i'm playing files with foobar from my laptop

[​IMG]

haha more pics!, even crappy ones

33na3rd, Dan and heathen like this.
  10. Dan

I'm up and running, sort of! The Magni and Loki sound great.

Still struggling with the Modi 3---trying to get it to show up on my Mac. I've gone down the rabbit hole looking at different threads on specific issues related to that, but haven't reached a consensus yet.

crazy eights likes this.
  11. arley

arley Forum Resident

When I had my house rewired a while back, I had a lot of Belden 1694A coax left over. I got some Canare RCA RCAP-C53 plugs:

Canare RCAP-C53 RCA Crimp Plug fits Belden 1694A or 9116 or 9066

If you have access to the appropriate stripping and crimping tools, you can easily fashion some really great interconnects. Or, Blue Jeans Cable can make whatever length you need.

12. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

My experience has been that short cables cost about the same as a three foot, no difference in sound, so why not by the longer and it will be ready to go if you ever up grade or need to move something.

13. Dan DRC

Dan DRC Forum Resident

I use the ghentaudio cables suggested by crazy eights, they are excellent and price is tough to beat. Other than that check Monoprice for cables. The cables that Schiit sells are great because they are made by Straight Wire but they are pretty stiff to use on the small gear. If you look at some of the older Schiit videos on YouTube you will notice when they are at an audio show or headphone meet they have rubber bands placed in the middle of the cable where it bends when connected to allow their gear to sit properly on top of each other.

crazy eights likes this.
  14. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The newer short Schiit cables are smaller diameter and more flexible. Don't really need that rubber band trick with the new short Schiit cables.

Dan DRC likes this.
  15. Dan DRC

Dan DRC Forum Resident

That's good, I did not realize that.

16. Andrew Furlong

Andrew Furlong Well-Known Member

Introprose makes a flat interconnect for the Magni/Modi. Basically rca jacks on a circuit board.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.