BlackkKlansman (new Spike Lee film)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by townsend, May 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Love that movie...

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

George Carlin was excellent! thanks I enjoyed that...Now I have to watch my DVD....love the use of the song "Landslide" I got choked up.....

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  4. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Kevin was pretty decent as the Baltimore-based 'dark web' hacker in that Die Hard franchise film...

5. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

And that is a good thing for any movie to be. I attend movies to be entertained, not be lectured by social awareness.

It is interesting how the current trend is to take something that occurred, perhaps in the heat of the moment, or perhaps not and revisit it entirely out of context in the social media some four decades, sometimes more later.

Sheer asininity.

Larry Mc, alexpop and brownie61 like this.
  6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

My post solely addressed the movies KS directed, not his acting in other works...

SandAndGlass and Lightworker like this.
  7. Oatsdad

A well-made movie wouldn't "lecture" you - it'd make its points in a more subtle way.

"Daisy" and "Green Book" come pretty close to lecture territory, IMO.

Anyway, my point was that they're pleasant films but not what I'd consider to be great because they're too innocuous - they're cinematic comfort food...

Grant and Lightworker like this.
  8. Lightworker

Whatever. It's really a Spike Lee thread, so tangential subjects are tangential subjects and 'off-thread' anyway.

9. Chris DeVoe

On the other hand Spike and Kevin are peers, two filmmakers who mostly operated on the fringes of the studio system who have made films of widely varying quality.

Lightworker and SandAndGlass like this.
  10. Lightworker

I like the way that "To Kill A Mockingbird" (1962) made its points about class disparity, the true nature of masculinity and the dangers of false rape allegations.
    There are some rather 'uncomfortable' moments contained therein. The racial elements were naturalistic to the setting and time period of the narrative and
    did not have the stilted "exaggeration for effect" that a contemporary re-telling of this story would no doubt highlight over these other thematic elements.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. SandAndGlass

Just me personally, a well made movie, only needs to tell a story. That being, what ever a story has to tell. It doesn't need to make any points.

Never saw "Daisy", didn't seem to be anything that I would be interested in.

Liked the Green Book. I did not see it coming close to be a lecture, but simply a good movie.

I don't think that Green Book was great, but it was a very well made movie, which is all that I would expect it to be.

Lightworker likes this.
  12. Lightworker

Anybody remember the old Saturday Night Live parody skit: "Ridin' Miss Daisy"?

13. SandAndGlass

Must have missed that one...

14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

One of the main criticisms of both films is that they just made certain audiences "feel good" about a not-so-good situation.

PHILLYQ and Chris DeVoe like this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

No, but I remember the p0rn parody Driving Miss Daisy Crazy.

Lightworker and SandAndGlass like this.
  16. SandAndGlass

They're movies. They are supposed to make audiences feel good. That is why audiences pay to go see movies.

Movies, even movies like the Titanic, are only based upon historical situations, adapted to entertain.

They are not intended as history lessons.

But even history lessons depend on who is writing or more like, who is rewriting history.

I see the movie more as being about the developing relationship between the two stars, than the events portrayed in the movie itself, which I saw more as the method to tell the story.

17. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

It was from 'In Living Color':

Lightworker likes this.
  18. Oatsdad

Yeah, they do tend to give us a "soft" view of racism. "Do the Right Thing" was a much more challenging take on the topic than the warm 'n' fuzzy "Daisy".

"Klansman" is less challenging than "DTRT" because it focuses on such an easy target: the KKK. "DTRT" included characters of a wide variety and didn't paint them in one-dimensional ways, whereas the racists in "Klansman" are cartoon characters.

I think "Book" is more about challenging assumptions than fighting real racism. It's a pleasant little movie and reasonably uplifting but it doesn't break new ground or really challenge the status quo...

19. Oatsdad

It depends on the nature of the movie. I wouldn't expect a family comedy to make points, but if a movie deals with racism, then yeah - it needs to have a point of view and try to exhibit a purpose.

The problem with films like "Daisy" and "Book" is that they simplify racism-related issues and make it too easy for viewers to avoid self-assessment. They're a warm hug that lets white people feel good about "progress" and don't really move the needle...

Lightworker likes this.
  20. Oatsdad

Not always. If every movie had a happy, feel-good ending, that'd be boring.

Some people only want to see warm 'n' fuzzy movies, but that sounds mind-numbing to me. I want a range of stories - including some that end on notes that leave me sad/mad/etc...

Grant likes this.
  21. Grant

That's the problem.

22. Grant

I have a small stack of blu-rays and DVDs about racial issues sitting here waiting for me to be in the right mood to watch because I know i'm gonna get very angry when I do. But, I will watch them.

23. SandAndGlass

Here, we are talking about a story that took place back in 1963.

Since most of us have been somewhat familiar with history, just because a movie takes place during that period of time, we don't need to be repeating history over and over again.

I think Green Book told it's story quite well.

24. SandAndGlass

You mean, like most foreign films.

25. Oatsdad

I think some movies that deal with racism can - and should be - uplifting. If they show progress - ie, someone who learns to improve themselves - why shouldn't they go that way?

Jack Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.