NBC's Manifest

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bachtoven, Sep 26, 2018.

1. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

My daughter got me back into it. We just finished the first season last night. Wouldn't call this must see TV.

2. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

We DVR'd last night's episode and I haven't seen it yet but in general I think the series has held its own for the last few episodes. There was a time in the fall when I really thought it was going to precipitously run out of steam.

Mainline461 likes this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

L o s t lite ?

Vidiot likes this.
  4. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Pretty much. Also "Fringe". And "The Strain". Not an original idea to be found.

alexpop likes this.
  5. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

"I got an idea for a movie."
    "Yeah?"
    "Yeah, it's like Die Hard set in a hi-rise!"
    :rolleyes:

Scowl and Vidiot like this.
  6. alexpop

String vest. :D

7. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Didn't like Lost, at all. Do enjoy Manifest...
    Matter of Cast or Timing...who knows? :rolleyes: :confused:

Or, maybe, slimmer pickings, overall - yeah, think that's the one most likely.
    Understand it barely made it into getting renewed. I do remember liking Invasion, which aired either before or after Lost.
    The one that lost :winkgrin: me entirely last season was New Amsterdam. Did like it, but network had it on/off/on...ruining, or at least contributing to, ruining it.
    I'd thought it was taken off; when I saw it was on again & viewed it, had lost interest (& or it wouldn't have sustained itself, anyway).

alexpop likes this.
  8. alexpop

What didn’t you like about LOST ..the flashbacks..ending ...cast ?

9. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

I'd almost forgotten about New Amsterdam. Like Manifest it's trite and derivative of much better shows (ER, House, et. al.) It's true, all the best writers have been poached by Netflix.

Vidiot likes this.
  10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

'manifest didn't get renewed....did it?

it couldn't possibly have, it was borderline insipid.

'instinct' got cancelled, and it actually made you think for a couple of minutes a week.

11. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Yes it did ... explain that mystery.

‘Manifest’ Renewed for Season 2 at NBC

12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

13. LilacTeardrop

Well...I'm in the minority here & enjoy Manifest. Just looked today to see when Season 2 premieres, b/c I knew it had been renewed. It's not Fall, but Mid-Season, so around January '20.

I see the creator also did The Mysteries Of Laura 2014-2016 (which I also enjoyed). Will have to check out these other shows mentioned in article. It seems to be the unusual when a show goes beyond 2 seasons now. Netflix is notorious for this (other than their big hitters, i.e. Stranger Things, Orange Is The New Black).

Everything you need to know about season 2 of NBC's hit supernatural series 'Manifest'
    Your favorite Netflix shows are more likely to be canceled after 2 or 3 seasons than those on traditional TV

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Mainline461 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  14. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

Minority here also. I labored to get through the first season and put off watching the show at times. But this season a different story, loving it; twists and turns; actual excitement. The hour flies by.

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  15. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

We aborted at the end of last season. Don’t miss it.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Manifest is another "giant conspiracy/mystery" show like Manifest is another "giant conspiracy/mystery" show like Lost, Fringe, Flash Forward, Heroes, Alcatraz, Terra Nova, Revolution, The Event, The 4400, V, Resurrection, Under the Dome, Person of Interest, Kyle XY, Timeless, Wayward Pines, Emergence, The Tomorrow People, and No Ordinary Family. In every case, they present a baffling mystery/science-fiction situation, but after a dozen episodes you realize "there's no there there" and whatever explanation they finally provide makes absolutely no sense and there's no payoff for anything. The writers deliberately hold back information, string you along, and then piece it out like breadcrumbs over a long period of time, and you keep watching hoping for answers... which is a frustrating experience. It's a bad excuse for science fiction and fantasy.

Actually, I confess a slight fondness for Person of Interest and Fringe, each of which had good moments and did have a definitive ending that sorta/kinda made sense. They actually had some fun here and there, too.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Scowl, rockclassics and SteelyNJ like this.
  17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

this show cannot possibly getting any kind of ratings at all.

i put it on for 5 minutes and it was actually pathetic, all of it, the writing acting lighting everything.

does anyone know where it stands viewer wise?

GodShifter likes this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's doing OK but not great:

[​IMG]
    What's funny is that its ratings are almost identical to those of Prodigal Son on FOX, but that network is heralding that show as "the biggest new hit drama of the year!" Both have about 7.5 million total viewers (including broadcast, DVR, and streaming) which is good but not ideal. Checking the history on Wikipedia, they started out at 9 million viewers and are now down to 7.5, which to me indicates a downward trend. My guess is that a renewal is iffy.

Like a lot of these "conspiracy/sci-fi" shows, the core premise is not bad, but they just stir in so much melodrama and so many distractions, every episode winds up with maybe 10 minutes of actual plot and another 30-40 minutes of fluff. If you fast forward a lot, it's not horrible.

19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

'prodigal son' is as bad as 'manifest. but in a different way, 'prodigal son' is so blatantly predictable it is insulting. but the acting is (a smidgen) better than those people they call actors on 'manifest'.....would love to know who owed who to every single actor on 'manifest' a job. their skills do not even warrant a toothpaste commercial, with the blond girl being, quite possibly, the single worst actor on television today. she has less facial emotions than kristen stewart.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That would be Halston Sage, who is a very beautiful woman, but I agree: not the best actor on television. She was actually pretty good when she was (briefly) on The Orville as an alien:

[​IMG][​IMG]

21. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

22. LilacTeardrop

I'm down w/it!!! :agree::):thumbsup: Had read a different article a'ways back, maybe a month -1/2 or so. I have 2 actual-life (v. virtual!:winkgrin:) friends who also enjoyed it & was on phone w/1 today who was asking me, again, when it's coming back. It won't be in the Fall schedule; I believe January. I don't have time right now to go online searching for the other article I'd read.
    Have read detractors making unfavorable comparisons to Lost. I recall not caring for Lost, preferring Invasion which aired either before or after. Maybe different head space betwen then & now, but, in any event, really enjoying Manifest. :D

23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I wouldn't call that unexpected. No 4.

24. LilacTeardrop

Manifest News! Season 3 premieres Thursday, April 1, 2021!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :goodie:
    w/the Christopher Meloni Law & Order: Organized Crime series premiere following the SVU episode which sees his return as Stabler, once again w/ former partner, Olivia Benson/ Mariska Hargitay. I haven't watched any of the Law & Order franchise in quite some time (dating before his departure); there's only so much of that I can take, but since I've been away, I will tune into this. :D

"Manifest, meanwhile, will kick off Season 3 on Thursday, April 1 at 8/7c, by which point Superstore will have wrapped its current final season. Manifest will lead into a two-hour Law & Order event, which includes the Law & Order: Organized Crime series premiere; get details on the debut."

There's no spoilers in below, or I would have put it in spoiler or not included at all.

"In Manifest‘s upcoming episodes, more than a year has passed since the homecoming of Flight 828. “While the Stone family endeavors to keep their friends safe and make their enemies believe the unbelievable, new challenges will test their trust of the callings and each other,” the description teases. “But sticking together is more important than ever, because no matter what happens, it’s all connected.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    ibanez_ax likes this.
  25. LilacTeardrop

Season 3 Promo trailer has been released -
    One month, - 1 day left to go!

ibanez_ax likes this.