Alita: Battle Angel (new Cameron/Rodriguez SF epic)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

The reviews on this $200 million dollar epic, produced by Jim Cameron and directed by Robert Rodriguez, are troubling...

Robert Rodriguez makes an effort, but this muddled cyberpunk adventure can't help feeling like writer-producer James Cameron's cold leftovers...
    Film Review: ‘Alita: Battle Angel’

a lumpy script, muddled plot, stock characters and tired genre tropes may dampen its commercial breakout potential beyond its core sci-fi action-fantasy demographic. While not exactly a misfire, Rodriguez and Cameron's joint effort lacks the zing and originality of their best individual work.
    'Alita: Battle Angel': Film Review

Summaries here:
    'Alita: Battle Angel': What the Critics Are Saying

Is it any good? Trailer here:

bluemooze likes this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

No matter what I think about the film -- the eyes and the "Uncanny Valley" of the thing strike me as creepy as hell, as I said elsewhere -- there's no question that there's considerable money and technical effort behind it. This 12-minute making-of video actually makes me want to see the damned thing...

bluemooze and beccabear67 like this.
  3. I saw it and somewhat enjoyed it . I didn’t find her creepy at all. She’s pretty cute and charismatic.

The problem is all Cameron’s script. Characters not developed or just disappear. Anytime you feel Ronriguez take control,
    It’s really good but then Camerson’s sapiness hits.

Sone wasted onnscreen talent.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Why not make her face human with real expressions and eyes instead of trying to animate something that is suppose to look 95% like a human? I don't get it

5. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

That was my main concern. Robert is one of my favorite genre directors and I love the source manga this is based on but I think Cameron is so overrated as a film maker with his pretentiousness and cloying sentimentality. Robert does have a knack for generally working well in collaborative efforts though, so my hopes are still high.

Battle Angel is actually starting to get some good reviews and actual buzz now. It's pretty funny that only a few weeks ago, internet critics were falling all over themselves praising the Lego movie sequel and predicting Alita would bomb big time, and now they are desperately trying to right the ship. Speaks volumes about the quality and veracity of internet movie reviews.

SandAndGlass, cleandan and Mazzy like this.
  6. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I think I'm with you here. There's a strong appetite out there for strong female heroes in FX-driven movies. But by giving her this look, it feels cartoonish and almost fetishistic, like they literally erased the real woman. That may be appropriate for the story and character, but I think in the general culture today, it strikes an odd note. The character looks more appropriate to appeal to a younger demographic than a PG-13 Rodriguez movie.

beccabear67 likes this.
  7. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

bluemooze likes this.
  8. Her look totally works in the film.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Still, it's cool to see a "digital actor" who isn't Andy Sirkis.

I'll see this at the Cinemark Palace at the Plaza, and I'm confident I'll get much more than $5 worth of entertainment.

10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Is this based off the old Manga “Battle Angel”? I saw an anime with the same title close to 20 years ago. It was one of the better ones I’ve seen.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Yes - Cameron acquired the film rights a long time ago, they included input from Yukito while making the movie, apparently he's very happy with the final product.
    • Battle Angel is based on a manga written by Yukito Kishiro called "Battle Angel Alita", which was released in Japan as "Gunnm", and received an anime adaptation of the first few books, called "Battle Angel". The story takes place in the distant future, where cyborgs and robots are common place. A floating city, called Tiphares, holds a dark secret, as it dumps its trash onto the world below. In the junk yard beneath, a cyborg doctor, Ido, scavenges for extra parts when he runs into the head and torso of a young cyborg girl, still alive. Only her brain is human, as the rest of her body is a machine. She has lost all her memory of her past, and is given the name Alita by Ido. He rebuilds her, and becomes her surrogate father, as he gives her new body parts. However, as a series of mysterious murders start to spread through the city, Alita starts to suspect Ido in this crimes, as a way to find her body parts. However, she follows him one night, only discover that he has been chasing the real murderer, under the authority given to him as a "Hunter-Warrior". During this encounter with the real murderer, she instinctually acts on her own, taking out the killer with martial arts moves from an ancient school. As a result, she decides to aid Ido in his pursuit of justice, and becomes a Hunter-Warrior as well. As she unlocks her true powers and potential, she encounters deadly enemies, and idealistic friends.

The manga contains 9 books, while this movie will only cover the first 3. After the success of the original series, Yukito Kishiro wrote a sequel series, titles "Battle Angel Alita: Last Order". This series is still ongoing, and follows the adventures of Alita as she explores her own past and tries to save her friends.

SandAndGlass, jriems and GodShifter like this.
  12. Jeff Fey I think is in two scences. A possible great character who isn’t developed and then just disappears . A few others like this too.

13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

That’s the one. Thanks, my friend.

Deuce66 likes this.
  14. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The music of Alita.

bluemooze and SandAndGlass like this.
  15. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"BIG EYES TO THE RESCUE!"

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You never signed up for A-List? I know your wife's a member - can't recall if you are as well...

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

My local AMC has it IMAX 3D and Dolby Cinema 3D - I'm torn on which one to choose.

Probably go DC 3D because I've never seen anything 3D at DC!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. I saw it in IMAX 3D at a preview screening. I certainly didn't need the 3D but I'm personally not a fan of it.

19. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The only AMC I can get to is not available after 6 PM. And the Cinemark is so cheap...

Vickie, on the other hand, uses every single A*List ticket possible.

20. I am A-Okay with a strong female character, FX driven or otherwise. With that said I am completely worn out on the altered in some manner, strong female character.
    Genetically altered, modified, or bred. Cybernetic enhancements. Or some other form of outlying reason the woman is now capable of being strong...WTF?

Why can't the strong woman be strong on her own and deal with the situation in her best possible manner...limitations included?
    A highly trained 130lb strong female is not likely to take down a highly trained 245lb strong male. Funny how physics work out that way.

Why can't she out wit the big guy (better shot, better tactics, better intel, more friends, more resources, etc.) to find another way to "win" instead of going toe to toe with the big guy?

Why is it the majority of times we witness a strong female character happens only AFTER some outward enhancements have taken place? In a way this is saying females can not be as strong on their own, all while trying to prop up the strong female character

I have not seen the movie, but I probably will because it at least seems fun to look at. I hope it is a good movie because so many are not good.
    I hope they have, written into the script anyway, plausible reasons for choosing a female battle robot.
    Otherwise it may just feel like another implausible "strong female character" butt kissing festival...which we already have too many.

showtaper likes this.
  21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Pretty much everyone in this world is enhanced and she can't defeat most of her enemies by the use of brute force, she has to use other fighting skill sets.

GodShifter and BeatleJWOL like this.
  22. Well both Ripley and Sarah Conners were great normal woman but strong in their own way.

23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Ripley became enhanced as well.

24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Best Score of this millenium? "Interstellar" by Hans Zimmer. Transplendid.

SandAndGlass and budwhite like this.
  25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Android Cinema.

I mean, come on, "creepy?" There's an entire generation of Japanese youths who go to concerts to see their CGI dreamgirl perform. We better get used to "creepy." Relationships with humans are passe. Virtual sex is better. No rejection, no heartbreak and they love you, too. I hope Robert R. has the copyrights to the virtual p*rn that will be spun off this. I really liked that movie "Her" and I can easily see virtual companions becoming a real thing.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    alexpop and SandAndGlass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.