Should I turn my small office into a closed listening space? need suggestions...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Phono Groove, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phono Groove

Phono Groove Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a small office that is 9.5 feet x 8 feet wide with 8 foot ceiling. My system resides in the living room in a much larger space but I have decided to convert my living room in a play area for my daughter ( she needs the space and my hi fi is taking most of it ) In this office as you can see I have a desk computer, guitars and media collection all stored there. I was thinking of removing the ikea record rack on the left and the large desk + computer on the right to make extra space. Basically, I would be removing everything on each side and keeping the cd racks in the back as they are. Where the window is located I would place my hi fi ( TV, amp, turntable, cdplayer / dac ). My listening position would be where the chair is located in the picture which would be 5.5 feet away and speakers 4.5 feet appart. I have KEF LS50 speakers, would it be worth having a system in such a small space, will it sound any good in such a tight space? Here are some pictures of what it looks like now :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

If all you are using is LS50 and you are OK with it in larger space, then in such small office it should work just fine. In fact, I have LS50 in my bedroom and sitting close to it and listen to it in pure stereo sounds just fine. Not as good as my current living room setup, but it works fine.

3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

It will work fine. Many prefer a diagonal configuration in small, square-ish rooms.

Consider adding some room treatments to control reflections in such a tight space. That made a huge difference when I was in an 8 x 12 room.

Adding a rug wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  4. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

My room is small as well (10x10x9) and I use a set of Heresy III's sitting about 6 feet away.. sounds amazing. I do have bass traps in each corner and 3 inch absorbers at all first reflection points.

5. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I made a similar decision a while back. I am quite happy with my small listening space.

6. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

If it's your only option, make it work, many do their listening in relatively small spaces ---- of course bigger is always better IMO when it comes to listening spaces, but if you don't have an alternative.... make it work!

Sounds like you're on the right track for "near field" listening with the LS50 - just don't put Cornwalls in there and check back in wondering why it sounds "congested and bass heavy!" :)

7. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Two comments:

1. why not leave everything as-is and invest in a nice headphone set-up?

2. are you happy to place your equipment in front of a radiator?

If you opt to go with your LS50s and clear the room of the computer desk and LP rack, I would be inclined to rotate the set-up by 90 degrees: speakers on PC desk wall and system on short wall beside the entry door. That keeps everything away from the radiator, and you will have unrestricted access to the CD racks.

8. Phono Groove

Hi, I did have a headphone setup for many years, I eventually sold it, headphones were really never my thing. I don't mind placing everything in front of the radiator, in the winter I rarely heat the room it never gets cold like the rest of the apartment so the radiator will be turned off...

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  9. Fedot L

Fedot L Forum Resident

The quality of sound of a system does not depend on the size of listening room.
    A “tight space” does not mean little boxes in the capacity of LSs.

Fishoutofwater and macster like this.
  10. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

It's nice to have a dedicated listening room. I turned a small workshop room in my basement into one.

It's the size of a small bedroom...perhaps 10 x 10. Unfinished space with concrete walls and floor.

I softened the acoustics by putting up foam on the walls. Sheets glued using liquid nails. Also added a cheap area rug.

I used the heavy steel work table that existed for my equipment...tt, cd player amp, etc. Speakers about 8 feet apart on stands. Sub on the floor.

This seems to work pretty well for me. Aesthetics not withstanding.

11. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

The size/dimensions of a room has/have a huge impact on sound quality. It also limits which speakers will work adequately in which rooms.

timind likes this.
  12. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

True...the size and shape of the room can be limiting, especially with speaker size and characteristics.

I use a pair of Paradigm Studio 40 V3 speakers with a sub. That seems to be a good fit and a good match for my Fisher 500b.

I have a bunch of other speakers, but keep going back to the Paradigms...a decent all around speaker.

timind likes this.
  13. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

I lived in an apartment for a few years when my two boys were very young. Their shared bedroom was their playroom, though they regularly spread out into the living room from time to time. It just meant more rigorously enforced pick-up/clean up every evening. I had a small home office back then too, not too disssimilar from yours. There’s no need to displace everything. Visitors (family, friends, etc.) don’t want to sit in a child’s playroom. Keep your living room.

If you have to do it anyway, you’ll love nearfield-ish listening with the KEF LS50 speakers. It’s a very different experience compared to midfield/normal distance listening. You’ll immediately get a greater sense of how detailed and intimate the LS50s can sound.

Try running the system without any traps or foam at first. An area rug with a thick, non-slip underpad is usually an exellent first step. Listen for a few days, then make decisions about the walls.

Where are you going to set up your home office?

gorangers likes this.
  14. stanley00

stanley00 Forum Resident

To the OP:

Sounds like a good plan, especially if you can relocate your vinyl and desk for extra room. My listening room is not much bigger and it works fine. Having a main system in the main living space just isn't practical for some people / lifestyles.

I would consider adding a good wifi speaker to the living room so you can have a decent source of background music out there. Sonos is pretty good for that.

gorangers likes this.
  15. Fedot L

Fedot L Forum Resident

In my system, my graphic equalizer always has the decisive impact on sound quality. With three “generations” of not small 3-way “floor standers”.

And had it while the system was in a much smaller room by reason of “face-lift” in the “usual” room.
    Nothing “limited” me with my not small 3-way “floor standers”, nor with, years ago, a pair of smaller LSs. Always thanks to my graphic EQs.

16. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

I have a system in the family room, but had to be careful to find something that sounded great but had a good WAF.

I put some Triad mini monitors there. They sound great with a sub and the Triads are tiny. Only 4 ohms so they like a fair amount of power.

stanley00 likes this.
  17. Phono Groove

So here goes! I managed to get my lp rack and office desk out, installed 2 ''molger'' shelves from ikea which are of birch wood ( very sturdy ). I also got a butcher block for my imac and a chair that is at perfect height for the kef's. The space is very small 9x8x9 , I am sitting 5 feet away fom the speakers, the speakers are about 1 foot from side and rear walls. To my surprise the sound is excellent, less bright than in my living room, very nice detail sound non fatiguing and bass boominess is almost non present. I also find it surprising that my volume level is the same as when the system was in the living room and I was sitting 8-9 feet away. Actually, I sometimes raise it louder yet I am maintaining the same volume level 5 feet away! The room is not treated at all, I'm sure the rug helps, so far so good it's my first introduction to near field listening and i'm happy that the system is in a closed room free of danger!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. David M.

David M. Well-Known Member

Absolutely brilliant! And the best part is that you’ve been a good father by allowing your daughter to play in the bigger space (while having this one just for you). Hopefully she’ll enjoy listening with you once in a while. Those memories are precious and long-lasting as kids are exposed to music.

action pact and Phono Groove like this.
  19. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Looks great!!! I've long been a believer in dedicated listening rooms if there is any possible way to configure one. They are great for both marriages (don't have to deal with the WAF) and for dealing with young kids.

I'd add some kind of room treatment on the wall at the mid-way point between your speakers and your ears to deal with that first and most significant reflection though. I'd also install a keyed-lock on the door at some point too for the time your toddler eventually figures-out how to defeat all of your child safety devices.

Phono Groove likes this.
  20. Phono Groove

Compared to my living room where the hi fi was setup in this nearfield setting the sound is less bright a tad less refined maybe because in the living room I was getting more reflections and brightness which made me perceive the sound as being more lively. Listening nearfield I get more of a direct sound less fatiguing ( i'm sitting 5.5feet away ). Don't even know if I should treat the walls, I don't even think the speaker is reflecting off of anything at this distance. You are right about a keyed-lock door, that will come in the near future =)

21. vvcv

vvcv Active Member

Nice job! But, umm, you in that much danger? Is this your new secret'ish CIA listening space? :D

Bet that Orange amp sounds pretty nice in there as well.

22. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

It's definitely reflecting off the walls. How badly it is impacting your sound is a different question though. You can experiment with some super cheap treatments to see if you think that it is helpful for you or not. If it is, then you can always get some of the good stuff later. Back in my college dorm room I used to use some egg-crate shaped packing foam to deal with that first reflection. It seemed to help the soundstage a bit from what I recall.

23. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Very nice set up. Similar in size to my basement man cave. I have my chair set back and about 6 feet from the speakers.

Had to soften up the acoustics quite a bit. I added some carpet and some foam to the concrete walls. I "disappear" down there for an hour or two many nights.

No worries about playing music too loud. The room is in the back corner of the basement. Oh yeah...I do like it loud sometimes...lol

24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Phono Groove, you did good! Glad you're reaping the benefits of a smaller space with the extra detail and controlled bass.

If I were to make one extra suggestion, and I'm sure you've considered it anyway...take that Pink Floyd poster in that big frame, outta there. With the shelving adding some contour to the wall across from it, it's probably not a big thing; only, there may be something with less of a parallel glass surface, that might make a difference. Some skrim or fabric like a banner, hanging high-up, and not flat against the wall, for juuusst a little more dampening. Might be worth it.

Also, maybe tilt your speakers up a bit...? I always felt focusing on ear-level when a listener is slouching in a chair, doesn't give him "everything" his drivers are offering.

Phono Groove likes this.
  25. Phono Groove

Thanks for the suggestions, I will consider some room treatment to see if it makes a difference im sure it does but as it is i really have nothing to complain about so far. Actually, there is no shrillness , everything sounds neutral. The ikea chair is actually perfectly leveled with the kef's , if i sit up or slouch im at ear level!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.