Hana Cartridges

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JMT, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

Also with my Hana, anti skating, though trickier for me to set right in my VPI Prime is nearly as important as azimuth was. After a long break I period I have found careful setting of anti skate can get cleaner reproduction of cymbals and avoidance of IGD.

2. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

3. Adamski777

Adamski777 Forum Resident

Just set mine up tonight, had to listen through headphones as my daughter was already asleep but Hidden Path from Neil Young's Chrome Dreams II sound so amazing - can't wait to hear it through speakers tomorrow.

4. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

Which Hana?

TheVU likes this.
  5. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I sprung for the SL a few months ago and loved it from the minute I set it up on my Technics 1200GR

Previously I had the 2M Bronze and it just was too bright and sterile. The Hana improved on all points.

That said, I don't seem to have had the set up issues that others have reported - I had it up and running pretty quickly. No IGD (except on certain used albums) and a wide soundstage.

I keep playing with the VTA but it doesn't seem to change the sound much.

Adamski777 and Pythonman like this.
  6. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

EL here set up on a TD-124 with SME 3009. Sounds awesome and I'm very sensitive to any mistracking/breakup/distortion.

7. Adamski777

Hana SL - had a better listen this morning - sounds sweet. The biggest difference I notice since switching from the OM40 is the mid range is much more fleshed out. Whilst listening I've noticed little flourishes in the music that I hadn't noticed before.

I'm looking forward to the break-in as it already sounds terrific on my table. My only issue is the VTA as the cartridge isn't as tall as the OM, and I don't have the original shims for my Thorens, so have just ordered some from Vinyl Nirvana.

Seriously this cart is good value for money, I was hesitant at first and then just went for it - best impulse buy of 2019 (so far!).

Andy Saunders and rischa like this.
  8. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

l believe the Hana SL may be a future classic, especially when performance/ price ratio is taken into account.

rischa, David A., McGuy and 2 others like this.
  9. Adamski777

Also in case it helps anyone searching in the future - after a fair bit of tweaking, I settled on 500 ohms input impedance and 60db gain - this was the best sounding combination of the two using the Mofi Studiophono.

unityofsaints likes this.
  10. AppleCorp3

Good info - thanks.

Anyone using the Jolida JD9 phono pre with setting suggestions I'd be will to experiment!

11. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

my debate is the Hana SL and the Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star...I can get both for the same price - SS is used obviously with 20 hours on it. VPI says both are good for my prime scout...hm...

12. Christopher Sims

Christopher Sims Forum Resident

MIMC sounds very very good on a prime :)

13. Andy Saunders

l purchased mine after l trashed my Ortofon Cadenza Black- don't want to talk about that though.:(:D

Adamski777 likes this.
  14. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

I recently installed a Hana SL on my Michell Gyro SE/Audiomods Classic. I found it a noticable improvement from the cartridge it replaced, the much-loved AT33PTG/II.

It marries very well with my Cinemag CM-1254 step-up transformers.

I notice an improvement in presentation of bass detail. I find the soundstage wide and deep, expanding beyond the bounds of the speakers. Finally, I am also impressed with the lack of needle-in-groove noise between cuts and at the end of the record.

I am an instant Hana fan-boi.

olschl, rischa and Adamski777 like this.
  15. Andy Saunders

The SL is one great tracking cartridge.

unityofsaints, rischa and Adamski777 like this.
  16. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I've been living with my Hana SH since last March - I'd recommend this as well for those who don't have LO phono pre options.

17. fjn04

fjn04 Forum Resident

Thanks Erik...I'm may be SH in place of my Charisma (wood) Denon 103... I think the Charisma is excellent in that same price range,
    but I want to try something different. I also want to simplify the system, and eliminate the Step Up... which the 2.0 mv SH will allow.

18. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

If funds are tight the Hana EL is no slouch. I'm rethinking my LP playback system and so bought one to replace an MIMC Star. While I had them both, head-to-head, the MIMC certainly has more detail, but not by much. The Hana has a surprisingly wide soundstage, not as deep as the Star, but the Hana does have that kind of quality where the music just flows. I'm kind of wondering if I should have gotten the SL, but Im trying to budget $$ elsewhere.

John K.

19. McGuy

looking to get either the Hana SL or the SS mimc star...I have a prime scout, so not sure which to choose...

20. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

I have the SL and have heard the MIMC Star, granted the Star was on a friends system with his Prime Scout. Both are really fun to listen with, don’t think you could go wrong with either. Not sure the price of the Star but if the SL is equal or cheaper, that’s where my money would go. Just my preference on what I’ve heard.

McGuy likes this.
  21. McGuy

Thanks! all depends on whether the mimc seller wants to sell. I might be able to get the mimc with allegedly 20 hours on it for $750 and i can get the SL new for about $650 from music direct.

22. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

I have not seen any reviews of the Hana ML (microline stylus, low output) anywhere on the net.

Anybody know of any?

displayname likes this.
  23. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

24. AppleCorp3

I just read somewhere in a forum (not here) that Shibata stylus need around 25-30% less anti-skate than recommended (i.e. setting it to the equivalent of VTF). Anyone else here of this? Is it common knowledge and I'm just ignorant?

Either way, upon reading this, I lowered my anti-skate and it made a big difference in sound.

25. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I landed on about 10% less on AS vs set VTF for my Hana SH using a test record.

Whether that has to do with the Hana itself or the accuracy of the AS on my Technics SL1200Mk2, I dunno.

AppleCorp3 likes this.